• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Revising Non-Physical Interaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catzlaflame

Ephemeral Thoughts
He/Him
VS Battles
Content Moderator
Thread Moderator
I kinda already have a thread going on that I need to go reply too so I’ll keep this brief.

Additionally, for now, i'll keep this in the Content Revision section, but please only comment if you have something useful to contribute.

Proposal​

After discussing it with some staff, its come to my attention that the full scope of NPI is currently not being conveyed by the wiki page.

Here is the current description:
The power to interact with intangible or non-corporeal beings or objects. Users can both see and interact with intangible, or non-corporeal, abstract, and nonexistent objects or life-forms and entities, allowing them to make physical contact and possibly cause harm.

After a discussion though it was, generally, agreed that there could be altetnate applications of this that aren't necessarily encompassed by this defintion. Take for instance, fire…. would I get NPI for interacting with fire? Although it technically isn't physical, it is still perceptible through touch. However, what was generally agreed upon was that NPI isn't only interacting with things that a human can't physically touch, it is interacting with something in a way that would otherwise be exclusive to physical things.

What are the implications of this? Well, let’s go back to the fire example. Punching fire WOULD NOT count as NPI because landing a punch on something doesn't demonstrate that you are interacting with it as if it were physical (i.e., any rando human can technically punch fire).

However, interacting with fire as if it were a single mass would count (like for example, “holding” fire) because it means that the character is applying a characteristic of a physical thing to a non-physical thing.

I believe that this should be specified on the page.

Admin vote:

Agree (6):
Agnaa, Saman, Maverick, DontTalk, DDM, Ant

Disagree (0):

Last edited:
I agree with this change. We need an ability for being able to meaningfully interact with elemental intangibility, and the same ability you get for interacting with other kinds of intangibility is the best fit.

Last edited:
Seems fine. But you will need a good formulation. "Interacting with fire as if it were a physical thing" would not convey well what is meant, as fire is a physical thing.
Something like "interacting with fire as if it were a solid thing" would work better, but not be all inclusive, assuming you want to include things like interacting with it as if it were a liquid.

Seems fine. But you will need a good formulation. "Interacting with fire as if it were a physical thing" would not convey well what is meant, as fire is a physical thing.
Something like "interacting with fire as if it were a solid thing" would work better, but not be all inclusive, assuming you want to include things like interacting with it as if it were a liquid.
I agree with DontTalk. 🙏

I think this draft Catzla wrote gets that across fairly well:
Additionally, interacting with things that lack a set shape/form, in a way that would normally be exclusive to physical objects, would also warrant non-physical interaction, even if those things are ''technically speaking'' physical. Take for instance, fire, which albeit perceptible to touch can't be held as if it were a singular mass. Doing so would give non-physical interaction.
Maybe we'd just want to change "physical objects" to "solid objects"?

Ya that change seems fair. I also don’t know why I put the quotation marks around “Technically Speaking”

Anyway, a margin of 6-0 admins should be good enough so I’ll apply this.

Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back