• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Retiring from Wikia

Hop_Hoppington-Hoppenhiemer

Username Only
VS Battles
Retired
Everyone, it has been a really wild ride since I joined this wiki. I lurked all summer of 2015 after I graduated, and as soon as I had built my computer, the time, and a serious interest, I joined here.

For years in high school, I really enjoyed the classic VS structure. Take two fictional characters, from the same verse or a different one entirely, and have them fight to see who would win. At that time, I nerded out like most of you to the more "scientific" and logic based reasoning behind it. No more fallacies or anything. Just facts that represent a character, and a there you have it, the formula that could entertain debaters forever.

Except, it didn't. Over the last year, while I was still a lowly Chat Moderator, I began to grow disinterested in the wiki. Not because of the drama, some of which I was personally invovled with. Not because of the times I felt it cut into my personal life. Hell, not even because I thought the idea of VS Battles or similar site was becoming boring. It all stopped entertaining me, because I wasn't me anymore.

If you go back a year, I wasn't even a Chat Mod. I was fresh out of Meme University from Joke Battles Wiki, made by one of my best friends I've ever made over the internet, Ryukama. At the time, I was working a poor paying job, surrounded by the worst towns in Chicago. I had the wiki as a break from reality. Both wikis, actually. I enjoyed the serious and logical side, as well as the side that poked fun and made absurdity of the whole idea in the first place.

Then I just grew into a different man. I had to start college. I was already doing martial arts. But I wasn't going anywhere. I was always planning, always expecting progression, instead of working for it. It takes an average of 6 months to earn an orange belt in my system. I did it in less than 4 months. While I was in college. And then things rushed by. The wiki drama, my anniversary, my birthday, Hop's YouTube channel, the holidays, I dropped my job, I left the dojo. I just finished my first semester of college and then I was broke.

Not money wise. As a person. Then, I just snapped.

I got power hungry. I started to do some really bad things in my free time. I fought people on the street for money, and I tried to be bigger than I was on the wiki. Talking down to people, abusing powers, acting higher class than I could ever work for. It was like that for a few months.

Then I ****** up. I hit my step-mom, and that was it. I left, I moved, changed cities, and almost completely abandoned everyone and everything. I only had my girlfriend, my money, and a few close friends and family members to talk to. I shut everyone out for a month. Until this spring. I was slowly sinking back into place. I found a new job listing for a very good company with high pay, in something I had skill and experience in. I won a lottery. My girlfriend and I rekindled it all. Then I got promoted to Discussion Moderator. All in all, things got better, even though I as a person was worse. I'll never understand karma.

I eventually got the job after 3 interviews and 2 months of training. And now, I'm on my way out of college, and I have one more year until things become easy again. But that did leave one thing behind. It's here, at this wiki. I had to go through pain and medicine for a month before I realized I didn't have time for this wiki or Discord, or Hangouts, or Fanfiction.net PMs. The YouTube channel was put on hold, for a long time. I couldn't sit at my computer anymore. I was working out all semester, doing college, a new job, hanging with my friends before we eventually have to cut ties. That period from last winter to this summer taught me something.

I am not invincible. In any way. I have feelings, I can get hurt, sickness and illness will effect me like anyone else on Earth. I have my faith and future ahead of me. A bright one that I can almost feel. That means I will have to leave in time. When I go back to college, and life demands my time, then I will officially leave this wiki. Forever. I'm retiring from wikia in whole actually. And I will not be coming back to Discord or Hangouts either. All I have left to do is make Hop's channel complete. At this point I know for a fact, this wiki, while I like to debate, I don't have the time for it. Everyone here I knew, is either retired, or has changed as a person, skulking in their own agendas.

I just changed as a person. Allot. And this wiki has too. This means we're going to have to go our seperate ways.

This is my last formal post before I leave next month. I retire today, but I'll still reply to messages on my wall and this thread. But in August, I leave everyone for good. There's more to life right now than what I can handle, and that means dropping weight so the bird can fly. I have had many fun times, and lots of good interactions with everyone here. But as much as I want to believe it hasn't changed, it has, and I can't hope it will go back. Many people have left here on better notes. But I was just here for a fun time, not a long time. And I hope the contributions I made have an impact on this wiki and the staff going forward, because my time here felt worthwhile.

I want to take this last part to thank everyone personally who has been here for me. As a staff member, as a friend, and as a fellow memer. There was no better community I have been a part of in my life, but as an adult with more responsiblity than I could ask for, I can't stay any longer. I will still upload videos to Hop's channel (link on my page) and to the Hop wiki.

I will write a list to those I want to address personally here:

Ryukama - Truly the person I trust and respect the most on the internet, and while I have 3 days of wiki seniority over him, there's no way in hell I could ever do as much as he did for this wiki. I don't have the interest or spirit for it. But he's also been a fantastic friend with great advice. A true shoulder to cry on, and a brilliantly calm debater. You deserve more than you have, and as a friend, I will always have your back.

Antvasima - To me, the wisest person on the wiki. I feel like past any paranoia and fear, there's a strong and persistant person who wants what's best for the wiki, its staff, visitors, and have fun while being the best. I deeply appreciate and respect all the chances and promotions you have given me. It was a personal honor.

Byakuya/Mico - My personal definition of good buddy. A blast to talk with, and always happy to be around. I never thought a stranger who liked video games could be such a good friend, and still be someone you can trust.

Until the time comes for me to have my final farewell, I truly don't have anything else to say about myself or the wiki and the staff. Adios, everyone. It's been a good time.

Charles, play my outro.

You were my mentor in a way. I learned how to be a chat mod (balance, what to allow and not allow on chat) from you. It's unfortunate that you must leave, but know that I will never forgot you for all you've done. I hope life improves even more and treats you well, Hop. Real life responsibility outweighs everything else. Good luck and take care Hopper. Hopefully you still provide youtube videos from time to time ;)

I wasn't active enough here to know you, but I found myself in some of your words, the "power hungry" part. I remembered the things I've done and, dammit, for the first time in so many years I had tears in my eyes. Words by a person I never knew brougt tears to my eyes, something no one close to me managed to do.

I wish you all the best in your life and I hope you always find strength when needed.

It's sad to see you leave, but understandable nonetheless.

You were always one of the most educated, unbiased and professional Staff here, and you were always very likeable and entertaining. You always managed to get along with everyone.

I hope that you will continue to find happiness and be succesful in your future life, wherever that takes you.

And I will have to check out your Youtube Channel. Forgot that was even a thing.

I am extremely sorry to hear about the hardships you have been dealing with, Hop. While you have made some mistakes in your life, remember that everyone has. Though very few are willing to admit them like you have. So you should feel a sense of pride in that.

Since you are aware of the mistakes you've made, what you need to do now is learn from them and get better. Not to be hard on yourself or hung up on it. What's in the past is unchangable. All you have control over is your present and future. Which even though your past may not have been the best, it can still help you towards making a better present and future.

You have no idea how much all those kind words mean to me. It makes me happy to hear that I was able to be there for you and make you happier. You can certainly say the same to yourself. You were once of great personal support to me when I was going through rough times as well. I'll always be grateful of you for that.

It was a real pleasure having you here. Both as a helpful staff member and good friend. You have my best of wishes. Hope things can go good for you in the future. Good luck and good bye, friend :)

Hey man. I would just like to thank everything for not just being a great friend but also being my teacher and how you made me what I am today. You may be gone by then but our memories will never ever be forgotten as everytime I hang around with you, you always make me smile and when it comes to problems you always help me out which I truly appreciate. Hopefully things go really well on your end and please stay away from trouble :)

Thank you also for mentioning me as I felt special meaning that me and you really went a lot through out these years ever since I joined 2 years ago and man it's been one hell of a ride with you brother.

Debo decir que mientras le├¡a su post, acabo de identificarme en ti. Actualmente estoy pasando por una situación casi idéntica a la suya. Nada que me gustaba me agrada m├ís. Quien me conoc├¡a hace un a├▒o no me reconocer├¡a hoy, yo soy otra persona.

Muy ocupado con los estudios, yo también estuve pr├ícticamente inactivo aqu├¡, y ya estoy sintiendo que debatir la ficción ha perdido la gracia para m├¡. Perd├¡ mucho tiempo de mi vida con eso, el tiempo que no regresar├í.

No he hablado mucho contigo mientras estuve aqu├¡, pero de todos modos... Adiós, Hop. Espero que consiga lo que busca.

A6 should be giving him a retired tag eventually.

Despite we didn't talk that much, you were a pretty fun guy to have on the chat and you were quite helpful on the wikia.

You will be missed pal, good luck. I hope your life turns out well after getting out of that turmoil.

Sad to see you go, man. But its understandable that you'll have to leave here for life and such.

I'll always remember the odd profiles of your work on my wikia...yeah. And of the few times where we talked about life, which is a topic that i enjoy as it goes from back then to where we are now.

Anyways, take care and good luck out there. Was good to have you around for a time. :)

Thank you everyone for giving me all these kind words and goodbyes.

I know I'll need this kind of strength you're giving me to pursue the life I want. I will come back tomorrow for everyone else in other timezones to thank them as well. As for everyone who had something to say, I wanted to say I am extremely grateful to be in a community with people like all of you. I greatly appreciate the send off. But sadly, it's time for me to move on.

The hardest part of ending, is starting again. I'll see you tomorrow!

Hop, hop, and away!

Well, like somebody once told me a long time ago: "Nothing is forever in the life", in one day or another, we all will change in body and mind, and eventualy leave what we like. It was good to have you in the Wiki Hop, i hope you have wellness in your life.

Jeez man, you were always good for a laugh and smile, crying right now bro, it sucks to see you go, but you have bigger and better things to move onto, I wish you well in your endeavors, I hope that the friendliness and sincerity you shared with us all will make it's way back to you and fill your life with friends and happiness.

Play the Two Guns OST "Ready for me" and see Hop walking towards the sunset.

Makes your send off all the better.

You have my respect for getting out such a mess, take care of you, your friends, your family, and ensure it never happens again.

Back