• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Renaming Tier 0

The_Everlasting

VS Battles
Joke Battles
Retired
No, this is not something drastic.

Basically, I feel like our name for True Infinity is rather silly, primarily with the usage of "true" and the kind of implications it can set.

I simply suggest it get a renaming to Absolute Infinity, as it sounds more straightforward and relates to a real idea by Georg Cantor.

This affects very few pages and could probably just be done in like, ten minutes.

I don't see why not. Real idea that makes sense over a made-up name with no serious background.

I agree. This relates to a discussion I had in the past with Ant and others about a proposed revision for "Questionable Omnipotence" where we were suggesting renaming it to Boundlessness, along with a potential discussion of the higher tiers (2 and 1) to make them defined better as higher sets of infinites. (That can potentially wait for another day, though, as Ant requested I make a proposal for DarkLK first, which I am still in the process of making)

This would also help define better that Tier 0, as it's been discussed many times, simply refers to a character which is unlimited by any strata in their own verse. The Absolute Infinite, in general, as Cantor would describe it refers to an infinite that cannot be reduced to any lower infinite, as well as defining an infinite which encompasses all other infinites and cannot be put into any larger set. What this means per verse can vary, which some people may not understand or have misinterpretations of, and this may help to ameliorate those concerns.

So I fully agree. Anything to help stave off misunderstandings. Note that I don't support a dismantlement of our Tiering System, only that it be ever more professionally defined.

So, should I just go through with it? Agreement is unanimous and it will be super simple.

Well, the only possible "problem" that I can see is that both True Infinity and Absolute Infinity are both symbolic names, as even 1-A characters have transcended our notions of infinity.

Except, as Aeyu said, Absolute Infinity is a real idea from Cantor for an infinity that cannot be reduced to a smaller infinity, encompasses all other infinities and cannot be put into a larger set.

Okay. I think that this would likely still not reach 1-A though.

^.

1-As definitely do not transcend the notion of infinity (Although they do transcend the mathematical/geometrical definition).

Even tier 0s are more "So powerful that I can't fully understand the scale" opposed to "actual limitless beings".

It's the usual "prove that this guy is omnipotent" stuff. We can't.

Tier 0 isn't even about power anymore, more how close a character is to an omnipotent monotheistic deity (which is what you get when you stretch the definition of "infinity" to its limit)

Considering that I suggested the same thing last year and got rejected for it for some reason, I completely agree with this.

Also Absolute Infinity by definition is an infinity that cannot be surpassed by anything, including any other infinity or transfinite, since it's meant to represent the nature of an omnipotent God. It is a Tier 0 concept.

"This affects very few pages and could probably just be done in like, ten minutes."

Lol more like 30 seconds or less. You can time me.

Is it like approved enough yet to start?

Once I get the go I'm going to do it. And I want you guys to time me.

00:00:25.193 on the Chronometer. My recent activity also says that you did the first edit "14 seconds ago", so around 39 seconds total.

Keep in mind I also started a while after you started counting, since I didn't immediately get your message to go ovo

I think enough staff are fine with this change for it to be implemented. However I'll leave this thread up if there's an issue, and obviously changing it back won't be any sort of problem.

Ah alright then. 25-39 seconds aint too bad ovo.

I've also changed the Striking Strength, Durability and other pages.

Not a problem. Very happy to help.

I will remove the highlight for this thread then.

Never mind. It wasn't highlighted at the moment.

As I obviously agree with Matt, Kaltias and Ryu, maybe we should explain in the Tiering System page where the name comes from, so that any misunderstandings won't be an issue?

No, I think that might cause problems down the line, in case the above analysis turns out to conflict with our system. It seems safer to keep things as previously in the tiering system page.

Back