• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removing Demon King's Commandments

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByAsura

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
There's no proof Demon King has the abilities he gave out (much like Galactus' Heralds having some abilities he doesn't). But before that, I'll need to explain some things.
  • Meliodas is vulnerable to Commandments after abandoning Love, as Estarossa nullified his Revenge Counter.
  • We don't know if Elizabeth is vulnerable to Commandments after getting all her memories back (Merlin says Galand's affected herself because she forgot her true form, so maybe it's based on memory). So I'll exclude her from all this. Ditto for Mael.
  • It's never stated that the Sins have any resistance, or that any neutral/friendly party is capable of giving them such abilities.
  • The Demon King's magic probably doesn't give Zeldris immunity, otherwise he wouldn't be presented as vulnerable to his own Commandment. So I'll include him.
  • I'll operate under the assumption that DK and SD are immune to the effects, since they can give immunity and its the former's own power.
Nobody has ever been affected by the Demon King's Commandments, whether that's his full power or just his 50% state.

Faith​

Faith: Anyone who shows a lack of faith will have their eyes set ablaze.

Even if we assume it just affects those who lose faith (which doesn't make sense by her wording), Commandmentless Zeldris lost any and all faith in Demon King after his lies were unravelled.

Love​

Love: Anyone who holds hatred in their heart will be unable to afflict harm on anyone else.

We see how this works on fighters like Howzer, so this is just self-explanatory. Everyone, especially Meliodas, absolutely hates the Demon King in every conceivable sense.

I'm pretty sure the only person exempt from this during the DK fight was Escanor (since he'd already shown immunity from Estarossa), and that's because he looks down on other people.

Pacifism​

Pacifism: Anyone who kills will rapidly have their own time stolen away, causing them to rapidly age and die.

I'm pretty sure this one probably hasn't been violated, but Zeldris did kill DK's hermits. I'll just assume this one hasn't actually been violated, but I wouldn't even say it's entirely unlikely given that lesser demons can't be killed without consequence.

Patience​

Reticence​

Reticence: Anyone who fights without rest will get their magic sealed away.

Yes, this absolutely did happen. Escanor was even burning up his own life force.

Selflessness​

Selflessness: Anyone who holds desire from another person will lose their memories, emotions, and sense of self.

Meliodas is going through this entire ordeal to save Elizabeth, and Escanor is destroying his body (he even dies at the end) because his friends need him. He even promised not to die simply because that's not what Rosa would want him to do. That last part sounds stupid (and it is), but it substantiates my point in context. Meliodas then makes the same promise to Escanor, which all of the Sins agree to.

Adding to that, Gelda and all of the Sins aren't killing Zeldris/are trying to save him because they either have a personal relationship with him, or are friends with those people. Given that Gowther was locked down simply for having a love interest, I'm pretty sure King and Diane (the latter of whom Meliodas outright describes as selfless) would also be. Let alone Escanor.

The fact that the Sins are all very, very good friends also proves my point.

Miscellaneous​

We don't get many examples of this, but DK possessed Britannia in its entirety at one point. Yet there's nobody at that moment, even if we just go by survivors or that we can see, who
  • Has a desire for someone else.
  • Has hatred in their hearts.
  • Loses faith utterly.
  • Is killing someone at that moment.
  • Shows their back (aka just running away).
  • Is committing impure deeds.
  • Is fighting without rest.
  • Lies (for example, a parent lying to their child that this massive monster won't kill them).
There's also Meliodas' fight against the Demon King, but (aside from the anime version, which I hate using since it's so different to the manga) we don't have enough info.

Last edited:
I kind of thought that myself, but it's never stated Graces give resistance against Commandments. It's only stated that Sariel and Tarmiel were blessed.

I kind of thought that myself, but it's never stated Graces give resistance against Commandments. It's only stated that Sariel and Tarmiel were blessed.
Grace is the power of SD so they were blessed by her when they held grace. Grace is also a power against the ten commandments, so it make sense for them to get protection from SD

I looked at the statement, and I was misremembering. It's stated that all the Archangels were granted protection.

Edit: In the raws it says blessing, but she can do that separately anyway.

Edit 2: Merlin specifically describes it as blessing in the raws.

Given that Mael violated lots of the Commandments he had, it doesn't seem to be limited to Graces.
Blame the authors incompetance but he has the commandments absorbed in his body so in vs battle sceanerios he can use them. This isn't the first time this happened too.
Or they only give other people abilities.

This doesn't seem like something Nabaka would forget.

Last edited:
Adding to that, Gelda and all of the Sins aren't killing Zeldris/are trying to save him because they either have a personal relationship with him, or are friends with those people. Given that Gowther was locked down simply for having a love interest, I'm pretty sure King and Diane (the latter of whom Meliodas outright describes as selfless) would also be. Let alone Escanor.

The fact that the Sins are all very, very good friends also proves my point.
I don't know if this proves their selfishness, protect friend or save them is a selfishness ?

Selflessness is just the effect. You don't have to be selfish to activate it.

The Commandment is that if you have any desire for anyone else, you'll be immobilised.

All of these characters have that in spades.

Last edited:
I don't really see how either one of these was an example of Reticence kicking in. In the first example, Ban appears to be extremely tired as a result of his injuries from his fight with DK!Meliodas, not necessarily his magic being sealed away. He isn't immortal anymore, afaik.

And in the second example, Escanor was burning his life force away so he could sustain the power of The One to continue to fight with DK!Zeldris. He was still able to use his magic after the fact, too. If he couldn't use his magic before the Demon King possessed Britannia, and could only fight him hand-to-hand, then I think that could be fine.

But those are just some small nitpicks I have anyways, so for what it's worth, I agree with this CRT.

I'm literally saying the opposite of what you're talking about. They fought without rest, and yet their powers were intact.

Oh, my bad. I thought you were saying that their powers did get sealed. Sorry.

Either way, my stance doesn't change, so I still agree.

I still don't agree like I said it should still be useful in a versus scenario and like I said this is not the first time this happened

I agree with this, the Demon King has literally never shown usage of any of the Commandments
Should we make a note like

Note: Despite providing the Ten Commandments with their abilities, the Demon King has never demonstrated the ability to use the Commandments himself.

Should we make a note like

Note: Despite providing the Ten Commandments with their abilities, the Demon King has never demonstrated the ability to use the Commandments himself.
I mean wasn't it stated that the Ten Commandments was originally his powers it wasn't a commandment before he just made it into a commandment? correct me if i'm wrong tho since i remembered that meliodas said that the "demon king splitted his power into half and turned them into the ten commandments"

It was, but there's plenty of fictional examples where a character gives their power to other characters and grants them with abilities they don't have, like Galactus and many Power Rangers characters.

I agree but we should do the same with Yhwach then

Is the same basis, Yhwach gave powers and never use them

I could be wrong though

Should I still leave the Commandments as techniques? He can give them to other people.

Alright, I've made the edits. Should I close this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back