• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't I hear Pokemon Go wasn't even made by Nintendo? I too am questioning that validity. But yeah, trainers are heavily inconsistent; they're persistently stomped by even fodder Pokemon yet they also consistently survive albiet get knocked by hits from Legendary Pokemon.

That their AP and dura is inconsistent doesn't mean that their speed is inconsistent DDM, there'd literally be no anime and manga without rel+ reactions.

JoJo uses stands to attack for them though, I don't think these cases are comparable and if they are it'd be comparable to the trainer-Pokémon relation and not to the basic Pokémon-fully evolved Pokémon relation.

Didn't I hear Pokemon Go wasn't even made by Nintendo? I too am questioning that validity.
Is supported from it via it being connected with LGPE and SWSH, so it is valid.
But yeah, trainers are heavily inconsistent; they're persistently stomped by even fodder Pokemon yet they also consistently survive albiet get knocked by hits from Legendary Pokemon.
That's only for AP, not speed. They at very least aren't too far from Stage 2 mons reaction-wise.
JoJo uses stands to attack for them though, I don't think these cases are comparable and if they are it'd be comparable to the trainer-Pokémon relation and not to the basic Pokémon-fully evolved Pokémon relation.
I said part 2, when Stands weren't a thing.

Well, I'm aware of that. But at the same time, Trainers also get blitzed by fodder Pokemon while managed to outrun that attacks of evolved Pokemon. So the trainer stats inconsistency kinda happen in both.

Oh, very weird case then, don't think it's applicable to pkmn tho due to the sheer variety of attacks. Quick attack alone would allow a pkmn to have travel speed that surpasses reaction speed.

Well, I'm aware of that. But at the same time, Trainers also get blitzed by fodder Pokemon while managed to outrun that attacks of evolved Pokemon. So the trainer stats inconsistency kinda happen in both.
The whole context of the verse contradicts such (give me even an example of them getting blitzed), since they can fully follow battles between even serious mons. If they can be blitzed from lower stage mons they wouldn't be able to follow any fight nor give orders to them with such a precision.

The closest I can think of is them consistently being shocked by electric Pokemon; even baby ones or even trainers with high level Pokemon get shocked by new pokemon who are relatively low level. For example, Dawn's relatively new Pachirisu shocked the entire party and knocked everyone except Pikachu out.

The closest I can think of is them consistently being shocked by electric Pokemon; even baby ones or even trainers with high level Pokemon get shocked by new pokemon who are relatively low level. For example, Dawn's relatively new Pachirisu shocked the entire party and knocked everyone except Pikachu out.
Wasn't that a wide-ranged attack? Because as I told before, wide-range attacks>>reactions, since these are simple and quick movements.

This seems kinda more gag-related and most of the time they won’t see it coming I assume (like even with the necessary reactions). This also seems like something that would happen when the Pokémon are out of their poké balls where even they won’t dodge, kinda like Meowth not dodging electric attacks from Pikachu.

So what do you think that we should do here Medeus?

I'd prefer to hear more input from those knowledgable on Pokemon, but I still find it inconsistent for all the trainers to relativistic scaling from final evolution Pokemon. Not to mention the Pokemon Anime is notoriously inconsistent for other reasons. Ash's Pikachu fights and defeats Final Evolution Pokemon and occasionally Legendary Pokemon. Then next season, he struggles or even gets knocked out by Baby Pokemon.

Then again, it's been ages since I last watched the Anime series so I'm not quite the most familiar here.

Well, I've already called some knowledgeable members (The Real Cal, Elizhaa, WeeklyBattles, Firestorm808 and Starter Pack) and only the latter commented here.

I mean, my profile on the alternate Ash Ketchum has Relativistic+ reactions and it's for a feat not even listed here. Going by what I know of the anime, it would be very consistent to put Pokemon trainers at this speed.

I am fine with if we use Medeus' conclusions.

Well, as far as I understood, Medeus rejected this upgrade.

Medeus also said this not long ago:

"Then again, it's been ages since I last watched the Anime series so I'm not quite the most familiar here."

Well, as far as I understood, Medeus rejected this upgrade.
I'd prefer to hear more input from those knowledgable on Pokemon, but I still find it inconsistent for all the trainers to relativistic scaling from final evolution Pokemon. Not to mention the Pokemon Anime is notoriously inconsistent for other reasons. Ash's Pikachu fights and defeats Final Evolution Pokemon and occasionally Legendary Pokemon. Then next season, he struggles or even gets knocked out by Baby Pokemon.

Then again, it's been ages since I last watched the Anime series so I'm not quite the most familiar here

I personally do think it makes sense to give reactionary speeds to Trainers, not only for dodging certain attacks, but also for reacting to their opponent's moves mid-battle and ordering their Pokémon to either dodge or counter said moves.

But, this is just me. As Medeus said, I would much more prefer to have the other knowledgeable members throw their hat in and know what they think of this.

Is it me, or do some of the feats in the OP seem like attack speed and not combat speed?

I'm of the opinion that Trainers should scale in terms of speed given that they can react to Pokemon fights. I can understand why we wouldn't scale them to AP/Durability, but reaction speed seems like something that should be inevitable. Not saying they can punch at that speed or anything, just that pokemon trainers can consistently react to pokemon attacks.

It's consistent in the games as well, since a high affection rate allows pokemon to "Avoid the move in time with your shout"

I agree with Starter Pack.
Trainers always tell the Pokémon they're using what to do and very often even tell them to dodge moves that are in the Relativistic range and so on, it should go without saying that being able to react to something to tell someone else to do Y for it is as blatant as you can get for reaction speed feats, especially when it happens pretty often in all media, to the point of having a common title (Pokémon Trainers).

Last edited:
I am neutral; I have not been following the series for a while so I don't know how consistent feats are in the anime and manga.

I'd say this is fine, given the whole premise of the games. The only argument I could see against it is that when it comes to Pokemon trainers, they generally see weaker Pokemon like baby Pokemon and first stages at the same speed as fully evolved Pokemon. Speed in general is treated pretty inconsistently in Pokemon.

Well, that may be more like just to ease understanding of the events by the audience, as that's not necessarily the case in practice outside cinematic timing.
Plus it doesn't match up with there being plenty of trainers clearly using fully evolved species, leading to the less assumptive option of trainers being able to react to the pace of the match being the case.

I was asked to comment here, but it does not seem like this has been accepted or we have received a lot of input from knowledgeable members.

While I prefer to stay away from Pokemon these days, I think it'll help to give my input here.

I think we should consider things from the perspective of the files we have on this site. Every Trainer profile we have here involves a Top Tier character within their story (Protags, Rivals, Gym Leaders, Elite 4, Villain Team Admins and Bosses, Frontier Brains and Champions) and as such they would scale to the speed of stronger Pokemon considering that these are the main people who would be using these extremely powerful Pokemon. So I see no reason for them to not scale as they react to their Pokemon on a daily basis. So for these trainers, I say Rel+ is fine. Overall, I say they should scale to the evolutionary stage of Pokemon they would tend to have at X point in the story. (Like Beginning of Game Trainers would scale to early stage Pokemon speed, but end game would scale to final stage Pokemon speed). That's my take on the matter here. This is similar to how Digimon Tamers are treated in which they scale to the speed of Digimon they use for reaction speed.

Basically, I believe this is fine to add.

Dragon Master seems to make reasonable proposals. And the trainers improving their mind and reflexes also sort of make sense; though I still see it more as perception rather than speed mostly.

Okay. I suppose that this seems to have been accepted then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back