• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Reincarnation

So I've been thinking. What type of immortality does reincarnation fall under? In other words characters that can die but will eventually be reborn either in their original form or another body?

I do not think that soul migration counts as immortality.

Reincarnation is reincarnation.

If they're bodyhopping it's Type 6.

Promestein said:
Isn't it Type 8: Reliant Immortality? Since it requires the soul to be intact for it to work?

ScarletFirefly said:
Promestein said:
Isn't it Type 8: Reliant Immortality? Since it requires the soul to be intact for it to work?
No, because just the soul existing doesn't guarantee that they will come back.

Also it's possible to change bodies without involving the soul at all.

Isnt reincarnation another ability? Doesn't it require dying to be used? If used properly it can grant immortality type 1 i guess.

NotEvenHuman said:

Isn't this the base of the whole Hinduism/Buddhism? That as long as an aspect of every human being continues to exist, be it the soul or mind or consciousness, they will be reincarnated? Seems like Type 8 to me.

In that case isnt it applying to every single character in verse where Reincarnation exist? Ability to remain knowledge , memories and skills after reincarnation is something much more notable , but different.

Well according to those religions, and possibly others, every human will reincarnate in another life when he dies. I mentioned it to make a point that Reincarnation does require a soul/essence to be there to work, therefore putting it to Type 8 imo.

In that case it would be that but Reincarnation means that after your death new life begins while Immortality type 8 means that you dont die if something exist. If someone in question reincarnates he must die prior reincarnation wchich is against definition of immortality. It is reliant on soul but it is different thing than Immortality. Its like comparing moving objects via telekinesis and wind manipulation, effect is the same but the skill isnt.

ScarletFirefly said:
NotEvenHuman said:

Isn't this the base of the whole Hinduism/Buddhism? That as long as an aspect of every human being continues to exist, be it the soul or mind or consciousness, they will be reincarnated? Seems like Type 8 to me.
Oh, wait. I misunderstood what you were trying to say there, sorry.

But still, not every character that can reincarnate does it the same way as Hinduism/Buddhism. If a character can reincarnate in a verse where souls are confirmed to not exist, for example. Always reincarnating as long as the soul exists is indeed type 8 though.

Back