• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding the Rule Violations Report Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catzlaflame

Ephemeral Thoughts
He/Him
VS Battles
Content Moderator
I have a proposal.

The purpose of the RVR is for users to report violations to our discussion/site rules; this allows for staff to assess the situation and, after some discussion, determine whether any action needs to be taken.

The thing is, many of the reports in the RVR are just reports of vandalism by new members who are either clueless or random trolls.. Whenever this happens we always just leave a warning on their message wall, and attempt to guide them in the right direction; if they continue to vandalize our pages, after proper guidance and warnings, we just block them.

Now this whole thing is a "problem" because it happens so often. These vandalism reports rarely require more than 1 staff member, but they notify the majority of our staff; on top of that, these random vandalism reports often interject a discussion about a concurrent user behavior report which will naturally be more controversial.

PROPOSAL: I'd like permission to create a new thread in the Wiki Management category that is meant to solely address vandalism reports. With the establishment of this new thread, the RVR would then be reserved for situations that are more worthwhile/important.

Agree (8:4): DeagonX, Lephyr, Antvasima, Catzlaflame, Sir_Ovens, ImmortalDread, Qawsdef, Damage3245, Finepoint, GarrixianXD, CloverDragon, DarkDragonMedues

Disagree (0):

Neutral (1): Mr._Bambu,

Last edited:
I find it extremely helpful to receive reports of vandalism that I and other edit-patrollers may have missed, and it greatly depends on the circumstances from case to case whether only a warning or as much as a permanent ban is meted out for such infractions, so I very strongly disagree with this suggestion, as applying it would very likely shoot ourselves in our feet. My apologies. 🙏

I find it extremely helpful to receive reports of vandalism that I and other edit-patrollers may have missed, and it greatly depends on the circumstances from case to case whether only a warning or as much as a permanent ban is meted out for such infractions, so I very strongly disagree with this suggestion, as applying it would very likely shoot ourselves in our feet. My apologies. 🙏
I think there is a misunderstanding. I very much agree with you that the reports are helpful, and my proposal is not to get rid of them at all. My proposal is to create a separate thread for them so they are not interjecting discussions related to user behavior. It will improve the overall flow and readability of the RVR while still allowing for vandalism reports to be heard by staff.

I find it extremely helpful to receive reports of vandalism that I and other edit-patrollers may have missed, and it greatly depends on the circumstances from case to case whether only a warning or as much as a permanent ban is meted out for such infractions, so I very strongly disagree with this suggestion
I believe all that is being suggested is separating it into a different thread than more serious forum misconduct so that it is easier to keep track of.

Ya, I agree with the suggestion. Since those all reports can be categorized as one (vandalism), I don't mind having a specific management request thread for it. The quantity of those reports can arguably be equivalent to on-site ones, so I see some significance for this.

Oh, I see.

So we keep our current rule-violation reports thread (that the "Report" buttons in our forum posts lead to) for forum-related reports of bad behaviour, which our administrators and thread moderators can focus on, and start another thread for reporting vandalism, trolling, unapproved edits, and similar within our wiki, which our administrators and content moderators can focus on?

If so, that seems quite reasonable to me, but we need to name it something appropriate. "Inappropriate Wiki Editing Reports" or "Wiki Vandalism Reports" perhaps?

And we also need to bring proper attention to it from our community as a whole, so, I suppose that I will have to link to it via our wiki navigation bar, mention it in the first post of our other RVR thread, and initially double-highlight it here in our forum.

So we keep our current rule-violation reports thread (that the "Report" buttons in our forum posts lead to) for forum-related reports of bad behaviour, which our administrators and thread moderators can focus on, and start another thread for reporting vandalism, trolling, unapproved edits, and similar within our wiki, which our administrators and content moderators can focus on?
Yep, exaclty
If so, that seems quite reasonable to me, but we need to name it something appropriate. "Inappropriate Wiki Editing Reports" or "Wiki Vandalism Reports" perhaps?
Mhm, I was thinking "Unauthorized Wiki Edits Reports" not that it makes much a difference.
And we also need to bring proper attention to it from our community as a whole, so, I suppose that I will have to link to it via our wiki navigation bar, mention it in the first post of our other RVR thread, and initially double-highlight it here in our forum.
Thank you for the help,

I can make the thread, and do anything else to save you the trouble of doing extra work, just let me know. We should likely wait for some more admins to input though me thinks. In ten measly days I'll be free of school

Yep, exactly
Okay. That seems good then.
Mhm, I was thinking "Unauthorized Wiki Editing Reports". Not that it makes much a difference.
That title seems fine to me.
Thank you for the help.
No problem. 🙏
I can make the thread, and do anything else to save you the trouble of doing extra work, just let me know. We should likely wait for some more admins to input though me thinks. In ten measly days I'll be free of school.
It seems best if I actually post it, for the sake of consistency and to make it seem more official.

However, I am very open for help with writing a draft text for the first post in it.

I think "Wiki Vandalism Reports" is probably a bit more straightforward for a title.
I don't know, I know it is all preference and such, but the thread would be more than vandalism. I believe trolling, bad editing, unapproved edits, spamming, bad faith edits, repeatedly adding pages that violate copyright, are also included, and they are not of necessity “vandalism” under fandom's terminologies.

Would not Inappropriate Wiki Editing Reports fits better, since they are all included in the totality of “Inappropriate” category?

Last edited:
Strictly speaking it would be more all encompassing, but it comes off as clunky IMO and the meaning of "Vandalism" is easy enough to understand.

However, I am very open for help with writing a draft text for the first post in it.
Gotcha, will do

This thread will be used to report edits to any of our wiki pages that were unauthorized, maliciously applied, or can otherwise be considered unacceptable by our wiki's standards.

Before making a report in this thread, please ensure that you have done everything you can to make sure the edits in question were not accepted. You can do this by asking individuals who support the verse on their message walls, or by using the search function to view recent content revision threads specific to that verse.

Staff members please be mindful of the fact that some unauthorized edits are going to be made by clueless, new users; before any severe action is taken against these users, please provide them with the information they need to become contributive members of our wiki. After they have been warned, stricter action can be taken. Additionally, take into consideration whether the unauthorized edits were blatant troll edits (i.e., changing a profile's Attack Potency to tier 0), and reflect this in the proposed punishment.

It is recommended that all staff members subscribe to this thread, by clicking the "Watch" button in the upper right corner of this post.

Removing the "Wiki" doesn't solve the problem? RVR doesn't use the "Wiki" and it's kind of redundant to have the "Wiki" anyway: Inappropriate Editing Reports
That seems fine to me at leadt. 🙏

Gotcha, will do

This thread will be used to report edits to any of our wiki pages that were unauthorized, maliciously applied, or can otherwise be considered unacceptable by our wiki's standards.

Before making a report in this thread, please ensure that you have done everything you can to make sure the edits in question were not accepted. You can do this by asking individuals who support the verse on their message walls, or by using the search function to view recent content revision threads specific to that verse.

Staff members please be mindful of the fact that some unauthorized edits are going to be made by clueless, new users; before any severe action is taken against these users, please provide them with the information they need to become contributive members of our wiki. After they have been warned, stricter action can be taken. Additionally, take into consideration whether the unauthorized edits were blatant troll edits (i.e., changing a profile's Attack Potency to tier 0), and reflect this in the proposed punishment.

It is recommended that all staff members subscribe to this thread, by clicking the "Watch" button in the upper right corner of this post.
Hmm. I think that we should focus more on what kind of rule-breaking issues that should be reported there.

This is the list:
  • vandalism,
  • trolling,
  • bad editing,
  • unapproved edits,
  • spamming,
  • bad faith edits,
  • repeatedly adding pages that violate copyright
@GarrixianXD @IdiosyncraticLawyer any ideas for the list?
Add uploading no-no images (you know what I’m talkin about) to the list. Other than that, I’d say it’s all set.

Rule Violations in general is for reporting things that are against the rules. Whether it be misbehaving on discussions or vandalizing pages, so RVR is for both. It's not for reporting poor quality profiles from users who are new and inexperienced rather than outright malicious if that's what the OP I believe is getting mixed up from vandals. Vandalism definitely is something that regular users should report in the RVR. So I am with Antvasima here.

So I am with Antvasima here.
?
Ant agrees with the OP.
Rule Violations in general is for reporting things that are against the rules. Whether it be misbehaving on discussions or vandalizing pages
I know its like that right now, but thats why I made this thread. To change that. Naturally, the site rules would also be adjusted if this were to go through. Do you not agree that this kind of compartmentalization would make the RVR less cluttered and easier to read/evaluate? The vandalism reports require far less input, and can be dealt with by like 1 content mod or admin.

In any case, I put you under disagree; although I'm sorry to say you're outvoded by a margin of 5-1 voting staff and 9-1 total staff.

Really? That's an agreement?
Oh, I see.

Okay. That seems good then.

That title seems fine to me.

No problem. 🙏

It seems best if I actually post it, for the sake of consistency and to make it seem more official.

Ant then changed his stance when it was explained to him.

I'm neutral myself. I think too many threads to report things in can be confusing for the average user. I suppose there's some virtue in sake of ease for ourselves, though, so I think it's a net neutral transaction or close to it.

Well, Bambu and Medeus are very reasonable high-ranking members of our community, so we should definitely listen to them and take their views into account as well.

I think that the idea here seems to be that there are so many reports at the same time that it turns very hard for most of our staff members to keep track of, and as such it would help if we split them up to one discussion thread for wiki editing-related misconduct (the new thread) and one for everything else (our current RVR thread).

I think this is a great idea which addresses some of the difficulty of the RVR thread I expressed earlier while not requiring any major structural changes.

While the number of different posts in that thread per day is a bit much, it's not far over the line, so I think splitting into even just two threads will help a lot with the staff's ability and willingness to weigh in on relevant issues more frequently, and this is a very sensible line for drawing that split.

Last edited:
I think this has gotten fairly widespread approval. Should we move forward with this?

I am afraid that need to find the time for it first, and I am very tired and overworked right now.

If somebody writes a draft text for the upcoming first post of our new wiki management thread that I can try to clean up and improve on afterwards, that would be very appreciated though. 🙏

We should reach a final consensus now. So far, Bambu and DDM are outvoted by 7:4
I'm not outvoted. I voted neutral. Says it right there in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back