• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding the "inFAMOUS: Multi-City Block Vaporizing Wave" calculation.

ThePerpetual

VS Battles
Retired
Basically, as seen in this inFAMOUS calc, multiple members of the Calc team have thus far been unable to come to an agreement regarding the validity of this calculation, and what it should turn out to be regarding the end result. It has been requested that I redo this in a new blog, and that I bring this to the attention of the Calc Team as a whole, in order to hopefully come to a more solid consensus about what we're to do about this- here is my own version, summarized.

...so, what do you all make of this?

The feat doesn't look rectangular at all. With what we see in regards to the height of the blast and the height of the skyscraper, it either reached that high, or knocked it over and it was still destroyed.

If we use an 80x274 city block, then x6 = 1644m, the radius of that being 822m.

V = 1163250000 m^3 or 1.16325e+15 cm^3

Energy = 2.9e19 J, 7.14 gigatons, 3.57 cutting it in half. But then taking the crater into consideration..

Then there's the height of the building, 319.5m. Which would also be the radius of the explosion if that's as high as it went, meaning the radius wouldn't be 6 blocks (actually 3 blocks, since it was stated to be 6 blocks total, not a 6 block radius).

If we use the game, the blast depth isn't even as high as a bus is long. If we use the comic, same thing.

Doing the standard nuke equation:

R = Y^(1/3)*0.28

0.822 = Y^(1/3)*0.28

Y = ~25.301 kT 7-C

Dividing by 2: 12.6505 kT

In any instance, it looks more like standard destruction than vaporization.

"Much like for Pulverization, we usually use this value when we see no remains of the matter that was destroyed in the attack, but in addition there has to be a considerable amount of visible vapor and/or character statements that imply vaporizatio, usually the latter."

However what possibly does make more sense, is if we try to understand the context of "vaporization".

"6 blocks of waitresses, stockbrokers and tourists, vaporized."

Reading this, it's much more likely that he vaporized 6 blocks of people (that is, it was a standard explosion that vaporized any people in its radius, but destroyed everything else), instead of literally 6 blocks and people.

This would also make sense given the many different results we get from calculating the feat.

Cret6iuy53w

He supposed we could "stack" 6 city blocks, which would satisfy the blast being as high as the building.

The Ray Field Blast. So this was a very in experienced Cole, one who could barely control his abilities, and with no upgrades.

Let's be honest.

This feat is irrelevant.

This same scene gives us two feats with one of them being far better 100 megaton higher feat.

The blast radius can't be lower than a 3 block radius, since the entire explosion covered 6.

So it can't be less than 274x3 (approx), otherwise the feat is being redefined.

A typical city block is 9290.304m^2 in area. That times 6 is 55741.824m^2

• 2pi*r^2 = 55741.824 (curved section)
  • r = 94.1891014 m
Dis gon b gud

If you account for the shockwave of the explosion and plug in an overpressure of 10 psi, the result is pathetic. Although the crater would prolly' be far better.

@Kep

Empire City is somewhat based on NYC

Even doing my own calc scaling from Central Park makes the length of a particular city block 233 meters long.

@Unite My Rice

"The feat doesn't look rectangular at all."

I... didn't calculate it using a rectangular area. I just figured out the vaporization of the (circular) crater by extrapolating a radius from the average area of 6 blocks.

Yes, you do. You even walk through it as, from all I'm able to tell, a fairly sizable chunk of this level in the game.

Gargoyle One said:
Let's be honest.
This feat is irrelevant.

This same scene gives us two feats with one of them being far better 100 megaton higher feat.
Still could help with inFamous 2 Weakend Cole scaling and such, since Nix and Bertrand survived a similar blast.

Do you need to invite more calc group members to this discussion?

It seems somewhat settled, but I would appreciate some more feedback.

On a side note, would it be worth finding the average amount of people on a New York city block and then calculating the amount of energy required to vaporize that amount 6x?

27,826 people per square km

6 blocks = ~1644m diameter or 822m radius

Area = 2122723.89054817 m^2 or 2.12272389 km^2

2.12272389 km^2 * 27,826 = 59066.9 or ~59067 people

59067 * 295,258,711.05 joules = 1.744004628559035e^13, Low 7-C

But that doesn't work like that. The energy to vaporize a million people is the same energy required to vaporize one person. So it's about 300 megajoules, which the explosion easily exceeds.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:FanofRPGs/Rough_Calc,_Vaporization_for_a_Human

Isn't that implying the explosion is literally contained within 6 individual city block squares? How could you use the area of a circle in that formula when according to that calculation you only got the area of city blocks, which are rectangular?

Both Perp and Rice accounted for incomplete vaporization, as there were items that survived the explosion, but were melted down and were quite literally red hot (concrete, metal, etc),

Basically, I just added up the surface areas of the 6 city blocks, summed up the area, and set that area into a circle (which means a circular area).

Area of circle (A1) = Pi x (radius^2)

Area of rectangle (A2) = Length x Width

If A1 is equal in value to A2, then they should have the same number.

If A1 is equal to A2, this means that the by using the equation of the area of circle, you can derive the radius from it, as the value of A1 is already there from the start.

The value of A1 being the area of the 6 city blocks that is.

I think in the context of the feat though, they meant everything in a 3-block radius (6 blocks), not the surface area of only 6 blocks.

Just to keep the conversation alive, most accounts of the damage area describe all six blocks being destroyed, resulting in the crater

Perhaps you should invite more calc group members to participate in this discussion?

Back