• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding the Featured Matchup Threads (Update)

ScarletFirefly

VS Battles
Retired
Apparently we can't have nice things. It seems that the voting for the next character is being manipulated. I really don't care about joke and offensive votes, but votes for legitimate characters are being messed with by someone/some people that think they're funny.

As it turns out, locking votes via IP address and cookies is not enough.

Clarification on these methods
The problem with IP address tracking is that it prevents users who are behind a NAT from differentiating. In many situations, users who connect to the internet do so through either a NAT or a proxy: for instance, users of any WiFi connection in a shop, an airport, or whatever will all appear as a single IP address per physical location. What this means is different people logging in from the same WiFi network won't be able to vote. This also means that the same user will be able to vote multiple times by accessing the web through different networks (or using a VPN).

Securing the poll with the use of persistent cookies is even more ridiculously easy to circumvent. Cookies are identifiers that browsers use to know what websites you visit. The thing is, cookies are not shared between browsers and are not stored when browsing in Incognito mode, or can be cleared easily manually. What this means is that users can vote, close the browser, clear the cookies and vote again no problem.

I could place a security measure where users have to either login to their social media accounts, create a new account on the polling website or complete a CAPTCHA (though this would only prevent botting the poll). I chose not to do this because it's extremely invasive on the users and completely not suited for quick polling such as this one.

Seeing the current circumstances, I've decided to abadon the method of polling and will choose the characters manually myself. If someone wants to suggest characters, they can do so on my wall.

Not the whole thing. The wave of vote spamming was in the last ~10hrs or so. I have data from earlier so I can use that I guess.

Well, that's unfortunate.

Was it just one character being voted a shit-ton of times? Or were there multiple?

Shame people would rig the polls.

However, what even is the point of the featured vs matchup threads?

After seeing what's happened with the Twilight movies, this doesn't surprise me as much as it probably should.

Minecraftlover67 said:
Why can't we stop those spams?
As I already mentioned above, in an anonymous online polling, you can't stop abuse. Voters can jump from one network to the other and vote again. Short of an active identification we can't do anything.

U gotta be pretty fukn petty to rig a vote for ur favorite fictional character to be put in a featured matched match on a statistic gather website.

Gargoyle One said:
FanofRPGs said:
However, what even is the point of the featured vs matchup threads?
To use characters that don't get any attention thanks to popular character spam.

That's cool but...

But...

Not exactly underused characters

Also, we could be spending more time highlighting CRTs and calc threads, instead of threads which bear no ultimate decision over our wiki as our primary goal is to index character statistics.

@FanofRPGs

The idea was to let the users choose one character they want, and staff picks an underused character to go against him. The original idea was both underused characters, but in fear that the thread would not get attention at all, it was scrapped.

This is so bad that people like these do such a thing to these pages, Constantly plagiarising pages on our Wiki. I want to do something about it!

To use characters that don't get any attention thanks to popular character spam.

That's cool but...

But...

Not exactly underused characters

Also, we could be spending more time highlighting CRTs and calc threads, instead of threads which bear no ultimate decision over our wiki as our primary goal is to index character statistics.

That's because anything below the "other" istyped by fans........

And they have no votes so what does that say?

I honestly never realized we were doing polls for these, was it on the front page?

Regardless, this is disheartening. It's probably one of the more petty things I've seen done here

Well, this was a good idea to bring unknown characters some attention and decrease the amount of spamming. Scarlet wall will probably fall apart for the amount of suggestions...

This is not good.

Is there some way to only allow registers members to vote in a poll, once for every account? Of course, this can technically be rigged as well.

Perhaps you could simply let the members reply in a thread on your message wall with which character that they would prefer instead?

Antvasima said:
Is there some way to only allow registers members to vote in a poll, once for every account? Of course, this can technically be rigged as well.

Perhaps you could simply let the members reply in a thread on your message wall with which character that they would prefer instead?
If we did implement that measure, it would reduce the voters because it's bothersome to create an account and yes it can be abused as well. There are tons of sites that provide dummy emails.

I'll probably make the next matchup with what data I got before this happened and there I will link to a thread on my wall made specifically for the purpose of suggesting ideas for the next matchup.

Back