• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding GPE

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan

VS Battles
Calculation Group
1. I noticed that our Calculations page say that in cases close to the ground and in cases far from the ground use different formulas. But what is "close to the ground", and how high is "far from the ground"?

2. The formula for "far from the ground" is "Ep = |(G*M*m)/r1 - (G*M*m)/r2|". r1 is the distance between the center of mass of the planet and the center of mass of the object before the fall / after being lifted (in meters). So usually it is radius of the planet (in case of earth 6371000 m) + how far the object is away from the ground before the fall / after being lifted. r2 is the distance between the center of mass of the planet and the center of mass of the object after the fall / before being lifted (in meters). So usually it is radius of the planet (in case of earth 6371000 m) + how far the object is away from the ground after the fall / before being lifted. Therefore, r1 > r2. Therefore, (G*M*m)/r2 > (G*M*m)/r1, which means the result I get is going to be negative. Am I misunderstanding something?

Note: Former calc group members, calc group members and Kaltias only

1) "Close to the ground" means "close enough to consider this formula a good approximation".

Kinda like relativistic KE is needed only when you are "close enough" to light speed.

2) If you are lifting, R2 > R1.

If it's falling, you get a negative result yet (GPE is lowering), you simply need to consider the absolute value as the result

In this case, just use the absolute value.

Otherwise E = GPE1 - GPE2 also works (GPE1 is the GPE when the height is at its maximum value, GPE2 when the height is at its minimum)

I'm not super versed in potential energy; it is one of the ways of calculation that I haven't used much.

@Kaltias Height at its maximum value>Height at its minimum value. We'll get a negative value.

So we should simply swap R1 and R2, you mean?

The main point is, variation of GPE it can be both negative and positive because gravitational force is a vector, not a pure number

If you get a negative result, take its absolute value. If you get a positive result, that's the result.

Back