• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Reactive Power Level should be deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous text: "Reactive Evolution is the ability to, in response to threats and adverse situations, adapt to grow better capable of dealing with any given issue; this can mean growing to become more resistant to certain methods of attack and certain abilities, developing new powers to better defend one's self, or just becoming more powerful to become an even greater threat.

A combination of Adaptation and Reactive Power Level, rather than adapting to better utilize their resources or rather than just growing stronger, the user improves in any number of ways to become more successful, durable, and powerful whenever their respective limits are tested."

Changed: "Reactive Evolution is the ability to, in response to threats and adverse situations, evolve in ways the user previously lacked. This allowing them to be better capable of dealing with said issues faced, and this evolution can come in the following ways:
  • Developing new powers or abilities
  • Developing new resistances
  • Developing greater statistics. However, if this is the only way in which they "evolve", then [[Accelerated Development]] should be given instead to avoid redundancy.
This ability is also similar to [[Adaptation]], but with the powers & resistances gained being more varied and extreme, rather than simply adapting to better utilize one's resources to survive environments or having only occasionally grown new abilities or resistances. With Reactive Evolution, a user is ideally always supposed to be able to "evolve", if over long periods of time, with new abilities or resistances, while Adaptation meets clear limits in this regard. While Reactive Evolution is often always active, its effects may not always activate to benefit the user, and this needs to be evaluated through feats & scaling. Likewise, the latter determines the complexity and scale of the powers, resistances and statistics gained."

As said before it has the following purposes:
  • It clarifies to not use Reactive Evolution when they only grow in power
  • It still keeps that (grows in power) as part of what makes the ability as it is intuitive by its name.
  • It leads to use Adaptation if a character isn't confirmed to always grow powers/resistances and maybe only showed having once or in some few isolated cases in a long career grown new powers/resistances with no explanation or elaborate details about it.
This is fine

Only this left
I also take issue on the way Reactive Power Level was merged with Accelerated Development. It's better than anything, but "Reactive Power Level" isn't a subtype of Battle Accelerated Development, it is Battle Accelerated Development, there isn't any difference you guys could point out as to why a character would have "(Battle) Accelerated Development" and not "(Battle/Reactive Power Level) Accelerated Development" (as the page puts it), let alone would this be intuitive to the peope reading and they would be able to make up a difference when editing profiles. "Battle" and "Battle/Reactive Power Level" are the same, so people may as well always use the latter, meaning the power got dumber.

Remember, the page already defines "Development" as "to raise ones statistics and/or abilities at a much faster pace than a normal character". So the Battle type of Accelerated Development says: "The characters [raise [their] statistics and/or abilities at a much faster pace than a normal] while battling". It's not like if one chooses "(Battle) Accelerated Development" a character will grow in size a little bit & their voice becomes deeper via battle but if you choose "Battle/Reactive Power Level" then there is where their stats and abilities grow via battle. No, they're both the same.
All the stuff that was in the Reactive Power Level page added to Accelerated Development need to be removed.

Isn't it better to just merge the current "Reactive Power Level" sub-section with the main "Battle" section, so no relevant information is lost? That seems like a much preferable solution to me.

We could rename the section in question to "Battle (Also called Reactive Power Level)", so all of our visitors who follow a redirect link from RPL are not confused.

Isn't it better to just merge the current "Reactive Power Level" sub-section with the main "Battle" section, so no relevant information is lost? That seems like a much preferable solution to me.
I don't disagree with rewording the Battle type. But let's be mindful of what relevant information would be here

• "Reactive Power Level
    • is the ability to rapidly increase one's overall strength or other physical capabilities by engaging in combat": Development already means "ones statistics and/or abilities", so this is redundant with no need for an emphasis for strength.
    • , becoming more and more capable over the course of a fight.": This is just redundant.
    • This ability can grant a significant edge in battle, as users can potentially strengthen themselves to match or exceed opponents that were previously on par with or more powerful than them": This actually doesn't mean "you will match someone tiers above you with this ability", just and simply "you could match someone stronger with this power". So it's redundant over what they said 2 times now.
    • It is important to avoid confusing this ability with Reactive Evolution, which allows one to develop new powers and resistances in response to the enemy's attacks, and may encompass this ability as well in the process. By contrast, Reactive Power Level does not grant any new abilities, it strictly improves existing ones.": It's ok to leave this bit ig.
  • Overall DBS gif is fine.
    • "As a Saiyan, Caulifla is able to gradually increase her abilities by engaging in combat": Ok, that's the Battle type.
    • "slowly adapting to Goku's speed and power": You could do with the power but idk if in context this means her power is "I will become as good as my foe" rather than "My stats will grow".
    • "and seeing through techniques that initially tricked her as they continue to fight.": Are her combat skills growing superhumanly too or is that just the result of her other stats growing? This is fine but it's weird that it's not clear if her combat skill are growing too.
Edit: Forgot that Weakness part.

• Weaknesses
    • "This ability is time-intensive and requires users to stay in combat. Hence it's useless if they are quickly overwhelmed and defeated." This is redundant as the same can be said about the Battle type, or any type.
    • "An increase in overall strength does not necessarily protect users from abilities that ignore conventional durability, allowing such abilities to be used to defeat Reactive Power Level users.": The emphasis in strength is still not needed, this pretty much says "Hax exists, watch out".
Don't know what that relevant information is or why they seem sufficiently concise for the name to remain.
We could rename the section in question to "Battle (Also called Reactive Power Level)", so all of our visitors who follow a redirect link from RPL are not confused.
RPL now relinks to Accelerated Development, and considering how the explanation should given an idea of the type, there is no reason to have more remains of this thing we made up. Let it disappear over time, it should be for the best.

Last edited:
I disagree with removing the name entirely, and think that the RPL section mostly seems sufficiently concise as it is.

Does anybody else here have suggestions for how we should reword (and reformat) the following text, or do I have to make an attempt myself instead? I am very tired and overworked though.

• Battle: The characters development is faster than normal while battling. Different from the "Training"-Type Accelerated Development this type has a specific focus on increase in battle, which is larger than the increase gained through normal training. List Reactive Power Level instead of this Type of Accelerated Growth.
    • Reactive Power Level is the ability to rapidly increase one's overall strength or other physical capabilities by engaging in combat, becoming more and more capable over the course of a fight. This ability can grant a significant edge in battle, as users can potentially strengthen themselves to match or exceed opponents that were previously on par with or more powerful than them. It is important to avoid confusing this ability with Reactive Evolution, which allows one to develop new powers and resistances in response to the enemy's attacks, and may encompass this ability as well in the process. By contrast, Reactive Power Level does not grant any new abilities, it strictly improves existing ones.
    • Weaknesses
      • This ability is time-intensive and requires users to stay in combat. Hence it's useless if they are quickly overwhelmed and defeated.
      • An increase in overall strength does not necessarily protect users from abilities that ignore conventional durability, allowing such abilities to be used to defeat Reactive Power Level users.

Only this left

All the stuff that was in the Reactive Power Level page added to Accelerated Development need to be removed.

I disagree with removing the name entirely, and think that the RPL section mostly seems sufficiently concise as it is.

Does anybody else here have suggestions for how we should reword (and reformat) the following text, or do I have to make an attempt myself instead? I am very tired and overworked though.

• Battle: The characters development is faster than normal while battling. Different from the "Training"-Type Accelerated Development this type has a specific focus on increase in battle, which is larger than the increase gained through normal training. List Reactive Power Level instead of this Type of Accelerated Growth.
    • Reactive Power Level is the ability to rapidly increase one's overall strength or other physical capabilities by engaging in combat, becoming more and more capable over the course of a fight. This ability can grant a significant edge in battle, as users can potentially strengthen themselves to match or exceed opponents that were previously on par with or more powerful than them. It is important to avoid confusing this ability with Reactive Evolution, which allows one to develop new powers and resistances in response to the enemy's attacks, and may encompass this ability as well in the process. By contrast, Reactive Power Level does not grant any new abilities, it strictly improves existing ones.
    • Weaknesses
      • This ability is time-intensive and requires users to stay in combat. Hence it's useless if they are quickly overwhelmed and defeated.
      • An increase in overall strength does not necessarily protect users from abilities that ignore conventional durability, allowing such abilities to be used to defeat Reactive Power Level users.
@Antoniofer @The_Impress @Confluctor @KLOL506 @DarkDragonMedeus @Sir_Ovens @DontTalkDT @Firestorm808 @SamanPatou @UchihaSlayer96 @LordTracer @CloverDragon03 @Maverick_Zero_X @AbaddonTheDisappointment @Damage3245 @Elizhaa

Your help with finishing this thread would be very appreciated.

I don’t really see what we’re supposed to do here.

• Weaknesses
Why do we need to reword this?

I think that Eficiente wanted to merge together the "Battle" and "Reactive Power Level" sections, but do not remember well anymore.

Okay, so you do not think that two sections repeating themselves a bit should be merged to a single "Reactive Power Level" section?

Well, thanks for commenting but those opinions come from a lack of attention here, I am certain that none of you would be able to reply back to what I had to say on the topic. Yes I know it's "fine" at glance, but this is not really the case and the fix it's super easy.

"I also take issue on the way Reactive Power Level was merged with Accelerated Development. It's better than anything, but "Reactive Power Level" isn't a subtype of Battle Accelerated Development, it is Battle Accelerated Development, there isn't any difference you guys could point out as to why a character would have "(Battle) Accelerated Development" and not "(Battle/Reactive Power Level) Accelerated Development" (as the page puts it), let alone would this be intuitive to the peope reading and they would be able to make up a difference when editing profiles. "Battle" and "Battle/Reactive Power Level" are the same, so people may as well always use the latter, meaning the power got dumber.

Remember, the page already defines "Development" as "to raise ones statistics and/or abilities at a much faster pace than a normal character". So the Battle type of Accelerated Development says: "The characters [raise [their] statistics and/or abilities at a much faster pace than a normal] while battling". It's not like if one chooses "(Battle) Accelerated Development" a character will grow in size a little bit & their voice becomes deeper via battle but if you choose "Battle/Reactive Power Level" then there is where their stats and abilities grow via battle. No, they're both the same."

Here's more in detail:

"I don't disagree with rewording the Battle type. But let's be mindful of what relevant information would be here
  • "Reactive Power Level
    • is the ability to rapidly increase one's overall strength or other physical capabilities by engaging in combat": Development already means "ones statistics and/or abilities", so this is redundant with no need for an emphasis for strength.
    • , becoming more and more capable over the course of a fight.": This is just redundant.
    • This ability can grant a significant edge in battle, as users can potentially strengthen themselves to match or exceed opponents that were previously on par with or more powerful than them": This actually doesn't mean "you will match someone tiers above you with this ability", just and simply "you could match someone stronger with this power". So it's redundant over what they said 2 times now.
    • It is important to avoid confusing this ability with Reactive Evolution, which allows one to develop new powers and resistances in response to the enemy's attacks, and may encompass this ability as well in the process. By contrast, Reactive Power Level does not grant any new abilities, it strictly improves existing ones.": It's ok to leave this bit ig.
  • Overall DBS gif is fine.
    • "As a Saiyan, Caulifla is able to gradually increase her abilities by engaging in combat": Ok, that's the Battle type.
    • "slowly adapting to Goku's speed and power": You could do with the power but idk if in context this means her power is "I will become as good as my foe" rather than "My stats will grow".
    • "and seeing through techniques that initially tricked her as they continue to fight.": Are her combat skills growing superhumanly too or is that just the result of her other stats growing? This is fine but it's weird that it's not clear if her combat skill are growing too.
  • Weaknesses
    • "This ability is time-intensive and requires users to stay in combat. Hence it's useless if they are quickly overwhelmed and defeated." This is redundant as the same can be said about the Battle type, or any type.
    • "An increase in overall strength does not necessarily protect users from abilities that ignore conventional durability, allowing such abilities to be used to defeat Reactive Power Level users.": The emphasis in strength is still not needed, this pretty much says "Hax exists, watch out".
RPL now relinks to Accelerated Development, and considering how the explanation should given an idea of the type, there is no reason to have more remains of this thing we made up. Let it disappear over time, it should be for the best."

Yes, I agree that there are a lot of redundant parts in that explanation.

Efficient's suggestion should be fine, personally I'm not a fan of the name "Reactive Power Level" since it's obviously a term that comes from Dragon Ball itself.

"Accelerated Development (Battle)" is okay I guess.

I think that we should continue to use the term "Reactive Power Level" in itself instead of "Accelerated Development (Battle)" or "Battle-Oriented Accelerated Development", as it sounds better, is an established concept by now, and so many of our character profile pages use the name in their powers and abilities sections. Except for that I do not really have any major objections to Eficiente's suggestions.

@DontTalkDT

What do you think?

I had to be direct in that last comment and I will have to be so now too; Ant, I recognize all your help, but you're being needlessly conservative in a way that hinders the thread. In other topics, sure, a middle ground maybe helps. Here particularly, it makes no sense, Reactive Power Level was a mistake for reasons very easy to see, it apports nothing, was a mistake and will get people to be confused, it simply stands to reason that it should be swept clean. If you could make a true pause from your work and evaluate this properly I don't think you would be saying the same.

Look, there are currently 924 of our regular wiki pages that use the old "Reactive Power Level" naming procedure, so I just think that it helps a lot with avoiding confusion for our visitors if we continue to use the term within the Accelerated Development page for AE that is strictly battle-oriented. That is all.

You should have said so before. The Battle type simply has to say that the "Reactive Power Level" link refers to itself w/o using that name. That's better than it having its own sub-type that does nothing, the latter is what leads to confusiong simply because it's something wrong. It creates more issues to ask people to use "Battle/Reactive Power Level" and "Battle" as types when both do the same, we would later need to make the pages that use "Battle/Reactive Power Level" to just say Battle and the more time that passes the more pages would have that, which is a needless issue created just out of lack of attention.

Can you make a sandbox with the changes you want to make to the page? I mean with all of the content of the page included.

Just make the "Reactive Power level" a redirect to "Accelerated Development", to its section where the Reactive Power level is explained in detail. How hard is that?

Have the additional paragraphs for RPL not been added to Accelerated Development?

We already made the RPL page into a redirect link, but it would help to avoid confusion if we mention the old title in an easy to understand manner.

Would "Battle (Formerly called "Reactive Power Level")" be a acceptable section title?

I already listed this as AD (Battle, Reactive Power Level....) on all DBH profile that have Reactive Power Level on them

Last edited:
I have updated the page in question. Is it acceptable now?

Yes. I think the following is too redundant and shouldn't be there but if it stays it doesn't matter:
  • Weaknesses
    • An increase in overall strength does not necessarily protect users from abilities that ignore conventional durability, allowing such abilities to be used to defeat battle-oriented Accelerated Development users.
This thread can be closed.

I removed that section:

I will close this thread then. Thank you to everybody who helped out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back