• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Reactive Power Level should be deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eficiente

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
This is what a have written about this power
  • "It's just Accelerated Development but with only 1 of the types it lists
  • Only combat triggers it, which is a made up limitation counterintuitive to thename it has. We're making up things.
  • And only covers AP, durability & speed while Accelerated Development can cover that and everything else like intelligence and the scale in superpowers w/o giving new ones.
The name is made up with a nonsensical limitation to it while Accelerated Development intuitively covers that and more with its name.

Reactive Power Level seems have only been made to please DB fans, as very specifically Saiyans grow in power only in combat while "Power Level" refers to their AP, durability & speed. All Saiyans shouldn't even have "Reactive Power Level" as they clearly have Accelerated Development, giving that they can learn techniques faster than regular humans (and their combat skills grow faster? idk). And they obviously they shouldn't have both powers."

But now I look at DB pages and they don't care to use both powers. So not only did we miss that the page shouldn't have been made when it was made in a short thread but we also miss the redundancy and unprofessionalism on it when adding it to DB profiles.

The application of Reactive Power Level in DB is not even what the page claims the power is, something like "vastly increasing strength whenever being mortally injured" with no combat to it is just Stats Amp that can only be use in that context.

Anyone out there can claim with no evidence that the power should stay because of abstract reasons like it being popular and having a strong presence, but here are the facts; As someone who has evaluated many, many P&A CRTs, I see over and over that people from regular users to staff are overwhelmed by our abilities, missing out events being X powers, not knowing some powers existed, misunderstanding what some do, etc. We have too many of them, which is not necessarily bad, but the redundant and useless ones (Or rather, the ones that a solid argument could be made to be that, if you feel extra conservative about them) are an issue. We don't for example ask any new user to go see all our over 20 powers and abilities and know the basics of them all, but in practice, either they do that eventually or they're up to make some small mistakes or are need to be given explanations or have others do some work they could have done themselves, the users doing that being far less than the sheer amount of users who agree to new powers being made and the like. Any user wasting time writing different texts with different wordings for Accelerated Development and Reactive Power Level in profiles as if the 2 were completely unrelated is the fault of everyone who didn't see how that shouldn't happen, if it isn't normalized to not elaborate sh*t on profiles anyway or if they don't put both powers side by side to mix the description in a redundant and silly-looking manner. It's also bad in general for us to make things up like the name of this power and what definition we give to it.
---
Side notes; There are only 3 or 4 other powers aside from this that I belive should be deleted, which a percentage of everyone reading this may don't know exist or never use. This has nothing to do with the Toon Force thread.

We already have Reactive Evolution and Accelerated Development, so I agree with the OP.
Reactive Evolution is its own thing, but it, Adaptation and to a degree Empowerment are similar to how RPL was used so
so would RPL be change to limited AD if this were to apply?
No need to be limited. If AP, Durability and Speed grow faster than a normal human then that's AD, if only 1 of those grows faster then that's AD too.

(Thanks for mentioning me) This definitely makes sense, but the AD page would need to be edited

I always thought there was way too much overlap between AD and RPL, so I suppose this makes sense.

Btw, important; sometimes people list characters who can copy skill-based techniques (Either body movements they can do or techniques that use superpowers they already possess) as Power Mimicry. But as I see it this is mostly wrong, it's Accelerated Development. You can think of a character like this and ask yourself, "Do they really just copy what they see due to an ability to do so, or do they have the skills, knowledge, ability to learn that fast and develop into using a copy of the same technique by their own superhuman ability to develop?", and you will find that the latter is mostly the case while Power Mimicry was just being thrown around because a lot of profiles were doing it. Power Mimicry if anything undermines the skills and other stuff in play.

Last edited:
The difference is that Accelerated Development is just learning faster and growing faster than usual, power, speed, skill, ect. Reactive Power level is more like similar to what Yang Xiao Long has; she gets offensively stronger the more damage she takes. Or some characters have abilities where their power grows every second in the heat of battle.

Reactive Power level is more like similar to what Yang Xiao Long has; she gets offensively stronger the more damage she takes.
Grows in power that stop/aren't permanent due to X reasons being met is Empowerment. If she does remain stronger after it (Idk I don't watch RYBY) then it's AD too, but then DB characters were using Reactive Power level with permanent grows in power.
Or some characters have abilities where their power grows every second in the heat of battle.
That's AD. If taken at face value and it only happenig in "battle"but not anything else like training alone, then there you can say it's limited AD. Or not and still use AD as it is, Enhanced Senses that need to be triggered on command aren't limited, for example.

Grows in power that stop/aren't permanent due to X reasons being met is Empowerment. If she does remain stronger after it (Idk I don't watch RYBY) then it's AD too, but then DB characters were using Reactive Power level with permanent grows in power.
You can also just give Yang Stats Amp too, which don't need to be permanent. A user shouldn't see whatever she does, see all our abilities minus Reactive Power level, and say that what she does is a new thing rather than what already exists that fits to what she does.

I personally found the power unnecesary, but for a kind of different reasons.

Because we back then already had Statistic Amplifications, I thought that Reactive Power Level was just simply that but with noted requirements (That could have been explained in the profiles, instead it was turn into a full page).

Not sure if you agree with that @Eficiente but I think it adds to the redundancy of the power.

Last edited:
I always thought the difference between AD and RPL was AD was the ability to grow stronger statically while RPL was the ability to grow stronger only during combat.
Something like that. But often time people forget what a "stat" can be, which is super vague, even if we somehow limit it to "aspects of a being games have portrayed as stats". AD covers everything one can grow/develop in their life to a superhuman level and/or past the limit it should have.
Becuase we back then already had Statistic Amplifications, I thought that Reactive Power Level was just simply that but with noted requirements (That could have been explained in the profiles, instead it was turn into a full page).

Not sure if you agree with that @Eficiente but I think it adds to the redundancy of the power.
Yeah the fact that we have other powers that cover things people relate to RPL is a point more. The main one was AD, but Stats Amp, Adaptation and to a degree Empowerment work too.
I thought Statistics Amplification was just a temporary boost in power. RPL and AD in my mind were permanent boosts in power.
Statistics Amplification can be temporaty or permanent, AD mostly gives permanent "boosts", but then if it doesn't then that's ok, in the sense that one can grow weaker over time, slower, forget skills, etc. If natural grows in development can go down then so can superhuman ones.

Last edited:
I thought Statistics Amplification was just a temporary boost in power. RPL and AD in my mind were permanent boosts in power.
I recall the main distinction was that

Stats Amp commonly had to be activated.

While Reactive Power level was continous/passive.

Which, honestly is also dumb, to separate powers based off activation, but meh.

The page for Reactive Power level doesn't even state it always has to be continous/passive, who knows for sure or would be willing to check if all profiles that have it use it this way.

Also "becoming more and more capable over the course of a fight" and the gif saying that a character is "seeing through techniques that initially tricked her" can be misunderstood as combat skill (development) going up too.

"Becoming more and more capable over the course of a fight" can also be misinterpreted as "you actually being able to reach someone tiers above you rather than you growing a bit stronger under your own percentage of power, and then more if explicitly proven". There are like 3 Dragon Ball-exclusive things going on on the page that are counterintuitive to what the name of the power implies, 1 alone makes it badly structured even ignoring it was made up from DB.

Reactive Power Level, well you are not wrong, it is for DB back in the old day. AD is because they can increases power level overtime through training and RPL is, as the name implied, Power Level that grow Reactively, according to the situation (harsh fight, injured, etc.....). Now it is not DB exclusive thing anymore because many verse have it now.....

All and all i'm neutral on this, keep it is fine, nuke it is fine to me, however if we nuke it, Accelerated Development should be expanded

AD doesn't need to be over time actually, and brings more than just power like the OP says. "It is not DB exclusive thing anymore because many verse have it now" recognizes it as a monster of our making, as in Precog and X Manip are powers out there, this we made up, which is bad. I see no reason to be neutral, why is it fine to keep it? For reasons on par with the reasons to remove it? I would like to see that.

I agree with this, even the Accelerated Development page says that RPL is just one of its subtypes:
"Battle: The characters development is faster than normal while battling. Different from the "Training"-Type Accelerated Development this type has a specific focus on increase in battle, which is larger than the increase gained through normal training. List Reactive Power Level instead of this Type of Accelerated Growth."

Because to be honest, i don't care much with this that why i'm neutral, it could be keep or remove and i'm fine with both. And beside, this matter mostly will be decided by staffs..........

Isn't Reactive Power Level a boost in power in response to being struck by a stronger opponent? This isn't what Accelerated Development is.

Although, I am not against merging RPL with Reactive Evo since it's essentially the same thing without the mutations.

Isn't Reactive Power Level a boost in power in response to being struck by a stronger opponent? This isn't what Accelerated Development is.
In a sense, yes it is ability that: power level grow in response to the situation. It is a specific type of Accelerated Development in a sense. Similar to Time Stop is a specific type of Time Manipulation.....

I seconded the expansion of Accelerated Development if the RPL get deleted
Tbh, i have no issue with RPL but if it's getting deleted due of the reasons that has been said above then i'll agree (especially since the reason that we have AD and RE so RPL is kinda redundant)

I would personally disagree with removing reactive power lvl

Accelerate development is for example when 2 boxers that are equal are training for a fight with the same amount of training but one of them has Accelerated development making them 2x stronger/better than his other opponent in the match, the other boxer has reactive power lvl, he will be able to overcome that 2x advantage from the heat of the match

It's quite different, accelerated development is you learning/growing faster than others while reactive power lvl you are growing in stats just from a battle and being forced to be serious/going all out which will unlock your limits which you can't do from just training

That's how I see it

Sure. Remove it, it's pretty shit ability.

We should also delete rage power. That's some mid

Reactive Power Level does seem redundant. I wouldn't mind it being deleted.

The difference between Battle AD and RPL is that Battle AD is specific in the sense that you get more benefits during battle than normal training, and the problem with this revision is that RPL isn't the same as it can vary, and you can gain the same about of benefits while battling like you would during training
So RPL isn't inherently the same as battle AD
Written by a friend without vbwiki account not me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back