• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ranking the Star Wars Movies

Well some here might not think it's the best SW flim

But I do think it's well earned it's heavy praise

I consider Rey to be an awfully written character overall. She comes off as too bland and...how do you say? forced? Perhaps not forced but I at times question her purpose in the movies. I also believe the complaints about her powers are worthy of having. Anakin was the most sensitive force user since Yoda, if not more so than Yoda, hypothetically being the most sensitive to the force in a thousand years or more. He started at the age of nine and was considered 'too old' by the Jedi Order to train, even so he was still a prodigy that managed to become a Knight at the mere age of...I believe 20? When Obi-wan was something like 25. He was one of the top three duelists of the modern Jedi Order which consists of greats such as Master Windu and Master Dooku who Anakin would kill the both of (albeit Windu was a cheap shot. Dooku is arguably fair) and was almost considered on a similar level to Palpatine and Yoda prior to his...rebirth as Vader. This took him over a decade of training with the order, including the wise counsel and training of Masters as well as his own Master who would join the council eventually and was considered one of, if not the greatest, master of Form III, Soresu. Anakin was also a general for several years which accelerated his powers and combat experience massively.

Despite all of this, Rey is somehow arguably already on the level of a Knight despite her supposedly having no prior training and the events of Force Awakens and The Last Jedi taking place over the course of just a few days. She is also capable of grasping techniques that would take other force sensitives their entire lives training to understand or grasp which just makes her look ridiculously overpowered in comparison to any other force sensitive.

This isn't 'new' and it isn't 'exciting' it just comes off as poor writing and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they tried to force Rey into being the REAL chosen one instead of Anakin. This would be partially okay considering Force Awakens foreshadowed her past but the Last Jedi simply ignored and retconned all of these interesting aspects of her character and potential explanations in favour of "T-The Force did it!" which, again, is just lazy.

I would be amused if somebody could prove me wrong on my expressed opinions on Rey as it may improve my views on the sequel films. Regardless of my comment I may as well rank my favourite films.

8. The Last Jedi

7. Attack of the Clones

6. Force Awakens

5. Phantom Menace

4. The Empire Strikes Back

3. A New Hope

2. Revenge of the Sith

1. Return of the Jedi

It has been a while since I have seen the older films so I will probably go back and rewatch them and then 'attempt' to watch the sequel movies to go over any potential revisions.

@Cryo

"So, to review, Rey's literal flaws are: she wants to find people to love and give her guidance, she believes in the good in people even if they're evil. There is nothing wrong with this heavenly creature, no hardship or cross she has to bear. She's not greedy, prideful, self-centered, emotionally stunted, emotionally unstable, selfish, reckless, overconfident, naive, blinded by love, womanizing, stupid, psychopathic, self-righteous, narcissistic, inexperienced, overly ambitious, narrow-minded, morally ambiguous, or arrogant. She has no vendetta, addiction, superiority complex, bloodlust, jealously, or lust for power, she is a person with no flaw that could be considered something to work on personally while being incredible at every activity she engages in. This, in common analysis, is known as a Mary Sue. As much as people fight the tide on this, it is exactly what Rey is, she is a classic example, it has nothing to do with her being a girl. A Mary Sue character isn't good for a story because there's no room to grow, to learn, to change, she's already made it there, she's already better than Luke, Poe, Kylo, Finn, and the rest of the characters as they have a semblance of a flaw that is utilized in the film. But not her, she is perfection, while going through no hardships or tough lessons. In fact, she imparts lessons to far more experienced characters regularly. And I find myself watching her story unfold and thinking 'How can I relate to this?'. I am not, nor have I met, perfection, I didn't know it existed, so I don't believe in her, or root for her, as I am reassured that the writing will take good care of her, and I'm just here for the ride."

This rant sums up Rey perfectly.

@Cryo I'm not going to attempt to change your view on Rey as I myself find her story arc to be rather boring. but her being force powerful thing doesn't hold up when the character only has 2 films and almost next to nothing supplementary material compared to characters like Luke and Anakin who have had completed trilogies along with another trilogy to explain their background along with countless books ect to go into detail.

like lets look at Luke Skywalker in the context of the OT, no prequels, no supplementary.

Luke despite only learning about the force a few hours ago makes a shot that pilots who have trained decades couldn't.

in Empire strikes back Luke uses the force to grab his lightsaber from the snow.. he has no training outside of Kenobi telling him about the force at this point.

later on when he "trains with Yoda" he lifts some rocks and jumps a few vines, not long after that he literally puts up a fight against Vader despite having no formal lightsaber fighting, this alone completely ***** on the whole "Anakin had to train decades thing"

Luke magically uses force choke, Lightsaber force throw, can sense feelings, can do force kicks etc. His now a Jedi Knight.. but it's made clear to us that he never did finish his training from Yoda.

he randomly just got these abilities between Empire and Jedi.

we are just left to assume that he trained.

@Everlasting saying she has no flaws is Ridiculous when it's constantly shown that she has flaws,

Just because "Rey" doesn't follow the Heroes Journey arc doesn't make her a bad character, it makes her different.

and people like different things

I could talk more about Rey and go into detail but that isn't the point of the thread.

and I believe we should respect one another's opinion

Rey is a character who:

1) Performs Force-powers without having ever seen or heard of them existing

2) Pilots the Millennium Falcon despite having never flied a ship before

3) Swims perfectly despite living her whole life in a desert planet and having never seen a river

The issue with the comparison to Luke and my own comparison to Anakin is quite simple to resolve. I already compared Rey to any Jedi who has trained their entire lives and she is arguably compareable to any Knight despite no training (When these Knights were trained since infancy). Your argument with Luke is also questionable considering he is a unique specimen, he is the son of a Master-level Jedi (When, in history most Jedis never reproduced) who is also the so-called chosen one. His improvements with such little training ARE heavily questionable (And it is the reason why I somewhat dislike Luke as a Jedi and prefer his father overall) but he did receive a few lessons and guidance and had years to try to grasp what little he knew to enhance his usage of the force. He also would eventually train with the former grandmaster by the second film which, combined with his heritage, would logically dictate his own rapid improvement. Despite these things he was still blatantly inferior to Vader in every way and was arguably barely even on the level of a Padawan on the verge of being a Knight (I seriously doubt he could even remotely come close to matching, not even defeating, Padawan Obi-wan by the time of The Phantom Menace).

As said, I agree Luke is questionable but he has far more reasoning behind his innate abilities over Rey (when her parents are supposedly considered to be nobodies by the time of The Last Jedi). I still agree that Luke is almost equally as flawed as Rey in this regard however but I prefer his personality and role in the story massively over her as I find him to be an interesting character. It is somewhat humourous to me that Anakin is overall the best protagonist in terms of his progression as a Jedi when is the bloody Chosen One but that's just how writing goes huh?

1) Force Pull from Luke

2) Luke Skywalker's X wing

3) now thats just Nitpicking, thats Obvious PIS. thast like me saying Luke somehow knows how to climb tree's despite Tatooine being just sand

Matthew Schroeder said:
Rey is a character who:

2) Pilots the Millennium Falcon despite having never flied a ship before
In a prequel novel, which was released weeks before the film, we see that she has logged thousands of hours on a salvaged military flight simulator which allowed her to "pilot" hundreds of different models of spacecraft. She also has dozens of hours of actual flying experience in a light freighter just like the Millennium Falcon.

Note: I am not a fan of Rey. I'm mostly indifferent towards her. But I just wanted to point that out.

I would also like to point out that Luke outflying Imperial and Rebel aces in the Battle of Yavin is pretty nonsensical. Sure, he flew an air-speeder since his childhood. But a technologically advanced fighter in actual combat against actual enemy aces is a different ballgame from flying a greatly outdated air-speeder on a backwater planet.

Furthermore, all of the TIE pilots posted to the Death Star were the best of the best. It makes Luke's performance against them seem even more like BS.

I still agree that Luke is almost equally as flawed as Rey in this regard however but I prefer his personality and role in the story massively over her as I find him to be an interesting character.

yeah and i agree, my point wasn't to make Rey more likable but just to explain her "Mary Sue" thing.

Rey is by far the least interesting protagonist from the Main Saga films imo

as for Luke being the son of the chosen and that's why he was so good doesn't really work when the whole chosen one thing was only introduced in the prequels.

as of the OT Anakin Skywalker was simply a Jedi who fell to the darkside and nothing more

Shadowbokunohero said:
Rey is by far the least interetsing protagonist from the Main Saga films
^ On this, I agree. Kylo Ren is by far the most interesting main character in this trilogy. Poe is just bland, Finn is okay, Rey is just meh.

Kylo is great

i personally thought Poe was way more of Mary Sue than Rey .

kinda why i liked his arc in the Last Jedi.

Finn was great in TFA but i think he was shoehorned into TLJ

and Rey is just serviceable

Rey isn't a bad character at all she just follows a different arc structure

and that's fine.

I just enjoy the cliche Heroes Journey arc way more.. as do most people hence why this formula is used so much in storytelling

Sure but it's canon that Anakin is the chosen one regardless, they can't ignore the lore of the prequels in the sequels afterall. So by proxy, Luke is somewhat explainable enough to not trash on him being too much of a Mary Sue. It is worth noting that the original trilogy was...well...The original trilogy. There was no lore established prior to it which gives it a great deal more leeyway as a standalone series of movies. The sequels and prequels are criticised based upon the originals and the sequels are criticised based on the original and prequel trilogies. With the established lore of the prequels combined with the vague, somewhat okayish, explanation of Luke being such a prodigy (Again I hesitate to even put him on Obi-Wan's level as a padawan and I could rate him much lower based on his overall performance) but Rey lacks the years of (potential) training and heritage within the lore to compare to Luke's own questionable abilities.

This same link that the sequels have to the originals and prequels are also why I utterly loathe Snoke. Don't even get me started on that loser. I agree that Kylo Ren is pretty good though, a wimp of a Sith and far from my favourite character but he does offer some intriguing character development and potential within the universe.

I hated snoke from the beginning, he was clearly a Sidious 2.0 and I'm happy he got killed

we already had that type of relationship in the OT

@Cryo I believe we will get more info in Episode 9.

Kylo and Rey are clearly linked and in the novelization, I believe Rey read Kylo's mind and thus found out how to use many of his force abilities.

so that statement, Darkness rises and the light to meet it may hint that as Kylo gets stronger so does Rey.

so Rey is kinda a Jedi Leech?

Js250476 said:
Yeah I remember hearing in the TLJ novelization it's also how she got better at the Force
The novelization utterly ***** on the film. It's good.

Also gave us a 7-C to High 7-C feat for old man Luke. Just another bonus.

Soldier Blue said:
The novelization utterly ***** on the film. It's good.

Also gave us a 7-C to High 7-C feat for old man Luke. Just another bonus.
how dare you!

the film has John Williams though ;^)

Shadowbokunohero said:
how dare you!
I would like to just point out that I have come to like The Last Jedi film. I like it more than Episodes I and II and the Clone Wars 2008 film.

Back