• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Questionable omniscience

Why is it that omnipotence is regarded as being impossible to demonstrate, but omniscience is? Couldn't you apply the same logic and say "What if there is something that they don't know, that they don't know?". The smartest being in a verse isn't always omniscient as is the same for omnipotence. Would questionable omniscience be more accurate and if not, why not?

I mean, if they know everything, they don't know that there is something that they don't know simply because the thing that they don't know doesn't actually exist (what a convoluted phrase).

They can't create an information that they don't know, while an omnipotent can create something that it can't do (the proverbial rock that it can't lift)

The rock that can't be lifted is merely a paradox and an omnipotent being isn't limited by logical paradoxes. However wn omnipotent being can't prove it's omnipotence and neither can an omniscient being prove it knows everything right? Wait, surely if they're omnipotent they can find a way to prove it, else they're not omnipotent? AAAAAA

An omnipotent can't prove its omnipotence due the paradoxical nature of omnipotence itself.

Omniscience isn't paradoxical, because it is simply knowing every information. And nobody on this wiki has "proved" to be omniscient. They were stated to be omniscient from reliable sources.

Do omniscient beings know things that are unknowable? I saw this before, but no one provided a conclusive answer. Also paradoxes are facets of logic and omnipotent beings transcend the concept of logic, therefore paradoxes don't apply to them.

I know, but paradoxes are one of the reasons why omnipotence can't be proven.

If they know it, they were never unknowable to begin with. If they don't, they were never omniscient to begin with. It's paradoxical only if both are assumed to be true. You have to find out which one of the two is false based on the context

If you wanna go the route of the omnipotence rock, it can be interpreted like this.

An omnipotent being can create a rock so heavy he can't lift it, but then lift it anyway. It sounds illogical, but that's because an omnipotent being isn't constrained by logic.

^That's what i'm trying to say about omnipotence being possible to prove @The Everlasting.

Aren't all cases of omniscience simply just unproven statements? A being claims it knows everything and we just accept that, in despite of the possibility that it only 'thinks' it knows everything. In my opinion omnipotence is easier to demonstrate. How can you tell if a being is truly omniscient?

This really doesn't make omnipotence possible to prove though. It's a paradox. A paradox is logic's way to tell you that you made a mistake.

They are statements made by reliable sources that aren't proven wrong. And you literally can't "prove" neither of them

Exactly, you can't prove either of them through text, hence questionable omnipotence, i don't see why omniscience is any easier to prove as presented by the unknowable paradox. True a paradox is a structure of logic, but omnipotents transcend logic. You can't apply such low principles to beings beyond them. This is why we have the irrelevant ranking for tier 1-A in speed as they transcend the concepts of time and space.

Back