• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about conceptual manipulation

Here is the example, but in here name Is concept type 1
Why it wouldn't just be a Type 3 concept manipulation? since names are related to cognition and the mind, not necessarily shaping or having any effect in reality.

Why it wouldn't just be a Type 3 concept manipulation? since names are related to cognition and the mind, not necessarily shaping or having any effect in reality.
DMC has extra context that makes their names Type 1. If you're talking about a normal human name, well that's just mouth sounds we make that are collectively used to refer to a specific person so if it was any sort of concept hax, it would be Type 3.

A name is virtually meaningless unless the verse treats name as conceptually significant.

For example, a name in Dragon Ball is practically irrelevant; Goku has had several at this point. But, in Bleach, names are one of the building blocks of existence; without a name, nothing has any function (i.e., an "arm" becomes limp and completely useless if its name is erased).

Seems to be a really weird case, since the only effect their names have on reality seems to be acting as some source for their own powers, and they can also seemingly survive without it just fine.

It's case by case

Names are CM Type 1 in some verses, CM Type 2 in others and absolutely nothing in most.

There's no generalization to this, it just depends on how the verse treats it.

Seems to be a really weird case, since the only effect their names have on reality seems to be acting as some source for their own powers, and they can also seemingly survive without it just fine.
So they don't have feats of affecting reality at all but yet have Type 1?

So they don't have feats of affecting reality at all but yet have Type 1?
Not knowledgeable on DMC, but I find it weird how they are indexed. It doesn't seem like they have 0 effect on reality, since they do seem to empower the demons to an extent, but it doesn't seem like Type 1 concept material at all.

a type 1 Concept is a concept that is entirely independent of reality and governs certain aspects of it, if the names are treated that way then its type 1,
for DMCs Case their names literally existed before creation became a thing, they have to be independent of it inorder to do that, and the names themselves are pretty important, without names, demons are pretty much useless they cant even move without one, a demons name are concepts that embodies its power and physical shape, and it predated existence, therefore its a type 1.

there's no standards for names, they're dependant on how their verse treats them

Basically what sevil and other's said it's firstly and mainly depends on the context to determine which type is which as not all names in every verse are given the same treatment

That's because in DMC a demon soul is more fundamental than their names as Arkham describes their names as "closest thing to their true substance" while DMC5 before the nightmare confirms that their soul is their true form and with poc additional context it refers their names as part of their soul

Last edited:
a type 1 Concept is a concept that is entirely independent of reality and governs certain aspects of it
Pretty sure Type 1 governs everything, not just an aspect of reality.
for DMCs Case their names literally existed before creation became a thing, they have to be independent of it inorder to do that,
I mean, that's cool and all but is there a legitimate translation for that statement instead of machine translation? Because some other translation says different stuff. And from where that statement is anyway and is it canon?.
a demons name are concepts that embodies its power and physical shape, and it predated existence, therefore its a type 1.
Soooo lady normal Weapons has layered conceptual manipulation hax that destroys concepts superior to type 1 and neg mid godly regen?

I mean, that's cool and all but is there a legitimate translation for that statement instead of machine translation? Because some other translation says different stuff. And from where that statement is anyway and is it canon?.

Soooo lady normal Weapons has layered conceptual manipulation hax that destroys concepts superior to type 1 and neg mid godly regen?

Type 1 only governs one concept of reality(depending on what concept) but what make typ1 CM unique is that they exists before all of existence appears and it can keep on existing even if all of creation is gone

I believe the it got translated here in the wiki but I'm not so sure so I'll handle it to sevil and for it being canon yes as it was as supervised by capcom and they worked together with miyoho in this game

As for lady she most of time faces low tier demons who they suffer one limitation which is that they need some materials to manifest so she doesn't necessarily kill them permanently as say but even if that was the case then she would have it because how the verse treats her to be way to be beyond human normal capacity cuz of her feats that she consistently showed in the series

Last edited:
If someones name is removed, what type of concept manipulation is it? And why?
As the others said, without context, none.

Characters like Nanno from Girl from Nowhere can change names, and everything regarding it and the way that human perception see the things is also changed due it, Nanno stole the name from a girl and gave her own name to that girl, so, all the knowledge regarding Nanno and that other girl was changed, and everything regardind Nanno was transfered to that Girl, even humans perception of it, same applies to Nanno when she got that girl name, I don't really know which type of conceptual manipulation is this, maybe not even conceptual manipulation, but this being said, it depend of how the verse works, we clearly see that Names in that verse are special, but the same does not apply to others verses by default

No. this is not the case, there isnt a single that is responsible for governing everything, the concept of darkness for example is only responsible of governing darkness, the concept of light is only responsible for light and etc, these concepts are type 1s in certain verses like marvel for example
I mean, that's cool and all but is there a legitimate translation for that statement
well i have made a request for it to get translated but no one did, all the machines translators i could find pretty much say the same things about the statement, it should be accurate
And from where that statement is anyway and is it canon?.
PoC and yes it is canon, i covered that in my thread
they arent normal, apparently in PoC they state that the only way to kill demons is through magical weapons, i dont have the statement with me atm because it requires me to create a new PoC account which is not easy, even if we discredit PoC, if she's a able to kill demons, her weapons would still have soul hax + Low godly neg

Since this thread devolved into DMC specifically, guess I can make a response

I believe everyone jumped the gun on PoC, I've told everyone this off site as well. It's not globally released yet, it's untranslated, and we don't have any official confimation from capcom in regard to it being canon, which is all that matters. I've been extremely suspicious of the ratings given from PoC, not just because it comes from PoC, but what's given doesn't meet the qualifications set up on the site. I'll look into it more when i'm done being lazy.

Since this thread devolved into DMC specifically, guess I can make a response

I believe everyone jumped the gun on PoC, I've told everyone this off site as well. It's not globally released yet, it's untranslated, and we don't have any official confimation from capcom in regard to it being canon, which is all that matters. I've been extremely suspicious of the ratings given from PoC, not just because it comes from PoC, but what's given doesn't meet the qualifications set up on the site. I'll look into it more when i'm done being lazy.
-its set in the main timeline

-it is officially licensed by the CAPCOM

-the company producing it says the story elements are fully done by capcom

-its not some sort of remake or reboot like people are claiming it to be

- it was stated to be an orthodox sequel to DMC

-not one person in capcom came in & said its not canon

this is more than enough for it to be canon, we know where it is set, we know the works is done & overseen by its creators.

To be fair I can understand why some would think it's a remake or "what if" story as I myself were one of them when I saw the trailers which are huge baits

Last edited:
Back