• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Infinite Universe Contradictions

Often, I'll see verses which have universes stated to be infinite multiple times, yet they have statements and depictions for a physical edge existing. My question is, what are the set standards regarding this?

In some threads, it devolves into philosophy of infinity and how something infinite having an edge could be logical.

In other threads, the supporters will usually try to resolve the edge contradictions.

I'm questioning how cases like this are evaluated. Is there a certain point where the number of infinite statements outweigh the number of edge statements? Are there instances where the arguments about infinity having an edge being logical work, and the contradictions are dismissed? Or should supporters always strive to resolve the contradictions?

It's a case by case, but if it's obvious universes have edges, then the Infinite statement might be hyperbole. Though at the same time, there's occasions where cosmology seems to get revised. As for infinite sizes still having edges, not sure where the argument for that came from unless the argument is only one end has an edge while the other end doesn't.

If the universe is first said to be infinite and then it is stated that this universe has limits, this may be a contradiction. However, if it's first said that the universe has limits, but then that it's infinite, and there are no more contradictory statements in the story, then the universe is infinite.

It's a case by case, but if it's obvious universes have edges, then the Infinite statement might be hyperbole. Though at the same time, there's occasions where cosmology seems to get revised. As for infinite sizes still having edges, not sure where the argument for that came from unless the argument is only one end has an edge while the other end doesn't.
What if the infinite-sized universe is described as having an edge only by characters with infinite speed? Given that they have infinite speed, they can logically traverse an infinite distance, freely exiting and entering the infinite-sized universe by sheer speed. No matter how high a character speed is, as long as they don't have infinite speed they will never be able to traverse the same distance as the character with infinite speed. To the character with infinite speed traversing such distance is as easy as going to the other side of the room and opening the door and exiting while for the characters with finite speed that is eternity, which they will never reach.

Is this reasoning invalid? This is how I always approached infinite-sized universes having an edge.

What if the infinite-sized universe is described as having an edge only by characters with infinite speed? Given that they have infinite speed, they can logically traverse an infinite distance, freely exiting and entering the infinite-sized universe by sheer speed. No matter how high a character speed is, as long as they don't have infinite speed they will never be able to traverse the same distance as the character with infinite speed. To the character with infinite speed traversing such distance is as easy as going to the other side of the room and opening the door and exiting while for the characters with finite speed that is eternity, which they will never reach.

Is this reasoning invalid? This is how I always approached infinite-sized universes having an edge.
Infinite speed Bulma

Often, I'll see verses which have universes stated to be infinite multiple times, yet they have statements and depictions for a physical edge existing. My question is, what are the set standards regarding this?

In some threads, it devolves into philosophy of infinity and how something infinite having an edge could be logical.

In other threads, the supporters will usually try to resolve the edge contradictions.

I'm questioning how cases like this are evaluated. Is there a certain point where the number of infinite statements outweigh the number of edge statements? Are there instances where the arguments about infinity having an edge being logical work, and the contradictions are dismissed? Or should supporters always strive to resolve the contradictions?
In fact, patrolman refutes this edge or having an end thing

Yes, it seems that Bulma doesn't know what she's talking about and Jaco already mentioned that not even they on the patrol have the most knowledge about the Universe
The context is that Bulma wanted to go to the center of the universe and Jaco mentions that it is not an easy task and that even something smaller than the universe, like a galaxy, is huge and that the universe has countless galaxies

The context is that Bulma wanted to go to the center of the universe and Jaco mentions that it is not an easy task and that even something smaller than the universe, like a galaxy, is huge and that the universe has countless galaxies
Not an easy task? It seems more like a refutation about going to the center of the Universe, where he explicitly mentions that impossible is and that it cannot, (Jaco travels through all the galaxies, even he has no knowledge about the center of the Universe, how can Bulma give any opinion here? ), Even Shenron, who is omniscient, doesn't know where all the Dragon Balls are and said that the Universe is vast, this is not a good refutation of the universe not being infinite at all.

Not an easy task? It seems more like a refutation about going to the center of the Universe, where he explicitly mentions that impossible is and that it cannot, (Jaco travels through all the galaxies, even he has no knowledge about the center of the Universe, how can Bulma give any opinion here? )
He said that because “the universe is large enough to contain countless galaxies,” it would be a difficult task to travel to its center.

1- I don´t understand japanese lol

2- If I'm not mistaken, he was talking about the Super Dragon Balls and he couldn't find them because they were out of his reach

He said that because “the universe is large enough to contain countless galaxies,” it would be a difficult task to travel to its center.
He didn't say it would be a difficult task, he said impossible and that there is no way, that means he doesn't know where the place is, if not even Jaco who has knowledge about the galaxies because accept something from Bulma?
1- I don´t understand japanese lol
It's just written that he can't and that the universe is vast
2- If I'm not mistaken, he was talking about the Super Dragon Balls and he couldn't find them because they were out of his reach
Therefore, if he can't even find some spheres in the entire Universe, why would Bulma's statement be revealing?

He didn't say it would be a difficult task, he said impossible and that there is no way, that means he doesn't know where the place is, if not even Jaco who has knowledge about the galaxies because accept something from Bulma?
This doesn't contradict the fact that the center of the universe supposedly exists, also, if you look at the context, he was just saying that going to the center of the universe would be impossible just because the universe is huge and it would take a long time

It's just written that he can't and that the universe is vast

Therefore, if he can't even find some spheres in the entire Universe, why would Bulma's statement be revealing?
The Shenlong range is not universal, only interstellar

Back