• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Quantifying "Several" and "Many"

KingTempest

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
I have a thread going on about a "manyfold" multiplier.

Several means "more than few but less than many", so many > several in itself.

I've seen a lot on this wiki that several = 3-9, and I used a 10x lowball for the "manyfold", But what is the widely accepted variable for "several", and what's a reasonable lowball in that case?

Edit: Check the definition of "several"
more than two but not many

Last edited:
We consider "Several times" to mean 3-4x

"Many times" would just be unquantifiably above 3-4x

I've always put "several" to mean "at least 3x".

I would put "many" as either 3x or 4x unless there was some further context.

I would go what Damage said, with several being greater than 3x and many being even higher, although in terms of actual multipliers, I wouldn’t assign a concrete number to either.

Several can range from 3-10, but 3 is roughly the most reasonable amount. Many just means a big number, so I'm not sure what random number we can assume just from that word alone.

Sorry for necroing this thread but since the verse I’m currently working on has a similar thing going on with several and many times multipliers I kinda wanted to make sure what the multipliers for these terminologies are treated as.

So currently several is treated as 3x or higher while many is treated as more than several and is this therefore 4x or higher due to the definition of several being "more than two but fewer than many" correct?

Cause I found this site which seems to be the dictionary of Japan explaining the definition for several times in Japan.

And here it describes several times as 3-4x, sometimes 5-6x. So I was wondering would this change the number for many when it comes to Japanese verses or would many still be treated as at least 4x for being greater than the low end of several which is 3?

Last edited:
Back