• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pyra vs The Saltborn

Well,didn't wasted it ince this is good match,alright enough talking,lets go!!!

-Pneuma Pyra and Domination ending Salt is used

-Both in character

-Speed equalized

-Place located in Istambul,Turqey

-Range is 100 meter

-Win via death!!!

• Saltborn : 0
  • Pyra : 0
  • Inconclusive : 7 (Deus,Perp,Kee,Iapitus,Gar,Shady,Marvel)

SaltandSanctuaryknight
Pyra (True Form)

VS

Inb4 DDM vs Perp >3>

...alright, so first things first-

Since this is The Saltborn having taken up the Nameless God's mantle, the first thing that The Saltborn probably opens with is taking the fight from this weird Istanbul place to the much more familiar Nameless Island, since doing so is just sort of a passive thing that happens by him(/her) existing. Unless Pyra has an instantaneous technique, I don't think she's getting anything off first... The Saltborn's doing so immediately also imposes Memory Manipulation since anyone who enters the Isle has their memories wiped. She fortunately has Memory Manip. resistance specifically listed on her profile- how strong is it exactly? If it's not up to scratch (roughly in the millions/tens of millions of people+ range), what mostly likely happens is Pyra gets memory-wiped (again, haha) and becomes another amnesiac worshipper on the Nameless Island. Seems like a win condition for The Saltborn to me-

Assuming that doesn't work, what are the win conditions here? Does Pyra have an answer to Immortality/Respawning infinitely as per all Soulsborne protagonists? The way The Saltborn handles it is simply by absorbing the Salt of opponents he kills and preventing it from reanimating. Note that a being's Salt isn't necessarily the same thing as its Soul even if it functions similarly mechanically; think of souls as "warm", and salt as "cold", I suppose. Her reality warping looks like it might be a good chance at a win, depending on how potent it is/how it works...?

Assuming she does have answers to these two most notable things, getting down to the nitty-gritty of the fight itself-

Pyra probably has more AP and Durability than The Saltborn, at least in base, by virtue of being 3 times baseline from what I can see and The Saltborn being just generic Continent level. The Saltborn, conversely, is... probably more skilled? The combined memories of millions of people would give a person access to a whole lot of different lifetimes worth of skill, whereas Pyra seems to possess "merely" a few centuries worth.

Pyra is probably slightly more versatile powers-wise? Though The Saltborn has better range and more versatile equipment.

My intuition right now leads me to vote Saltborn, but I don't feel that I really know how Pyra's powers work well enough to actually vote on that yet.

I'm going to have to go with Inconclusive for now. How good is Saltborn's Time and Space manipulation? Pyra can stop time and her reality warping can turn her imagination into a reality. Pyra could potentially oneshot Saltborn, but she'd have to hit her first. I'll wait for more elaboration.

@Medeus His Space-Time Manipulation isn't... super impressive? Not that I remember. It was mostly used by the Nameless God to patch together the Isle from different places and times in people's memories, maybe also to augment a physical attack or two. There might be something more impressive, but I would have to reread the lore/go play the game again...

I don't suppose you know how strong Pyra's Memory Manipulation resist is? That's kind of the difference between The Saltborn pulling a Darth Nihilus on Pyra and Pyra standing a good chance of taking it, here, I think.

She pretty much resisted Malos trying to absorb all of her memories and then completely brainwash her to become his blade; but yeah, it sure as hell isn't on the level of Amon (StarCraft) or Darth Nihilus. Then again, that's something base Pyra resisted and Pyra basically becoming the Fusion of every single blade in the game. There's like ten or so main blades and a whole bunch of generic blades if that helps. (Blades are basically the cybernetic side kick characters in Xenoblade 2, Pneuma Pyra would basically have dozens of minds rolled into one at the very least). But then again, it's not on the level of those characters mentioned.

So it really depends who uses their best hax first is who wins and it could go either way. But I suppose inconclusive is best.

It's not as potent as Nihilus's at all, didn't mean to convey that, just meant that it's sort of a side effect of him being there at his peak condition if he's got the Nameless God's powers (as he does here.) It's in the millions, at least, so... yeah, my main two questions:

How strong is Malos's Memory Manipulation?

And how's she keeping him down for good, as opposed to him respawning after death to go try again? Presumably something to do with Reality-Warping, but does it work that way?

Malos's memory manipulation is not too potent. He uses memory manipulation and brainwashes people one by one iirc. Then again, that still only applies to base Pyra, but I don't think her resistance is still quite on the level of Saltborn's.

Pyra could oneshot Saltborn given the AP & Durability gap which she could use Foresight and Time stop to her advantage. And her reality warping also enables her to basically turn her imagination into a Reality.

Omg the Saltborn finally has a page! Also I guess i'll vote inconclusive both can oneshot each other almost instantly.

Make that 5 for inconclusive; there's also Gargoyle's vote.

At least it was a draw instead of a loss, but yeah, Pyra deserves more wins.

Well, a Discussion Mod or above can close the thread. Pyra's winning against Ghirahim so far, so that thread could use some invites. Right here

Saltborn is probably closer to 2 times baseline, actually, or just shy of it, since he was both a Continent level-er himself (or very near it) and absorbed the power of another Continent-level guy (Nameless God). So, still an AP disadvantage, but slightly less of one.

@Velox Well, here's my issue with that-

What exactly are Pyra's... win conditions? Like, maybe there's something I'm not understanding, but I don't see how turning "imagination into reality" is a counter to Immortality/infinite Self-Resurrection unless she can use her Data Manipulation or something of the sort to understand why it is, exactly, this guy keeps coming back over, and over, and over again...

As far as I can tell, right now-

At the start of the fight, Istanbul is dragged into The Nameless Isle as a result of Evil God-version Saltborn standing there, and that immediately activates the memory hax as a result. Granting Pyra the benefit of the doubt, here, Pyra can at least resist it enough before he proceeds to throw a sword or a lightning bolt or somesuch, and then she timestops and blows him apart because there's nothing stopping her at that point. Right?

Unless her reality-warping is passively just "I cancel immortality/resurrection because I imagine I killed them, therefore it's reality", the guy is just going to keep coming back, over and over and over, and as long as his essence is still intact he's constantly eroding Pyra's memory. If her resistance to that sort of thing doesn't hold up that well to Malos-level mind hax, I don't see it holding up that well at all to The Saltborn's...

And losing one's memory is really detrimental here, especially, because one might forget about having just fought a Nameless God!-enhanced Saltborn, ergo not remember that he's immortal and requires special means of proper execution, or even worse forget that she was supposed to be fighting this guy to begin with... or how her powers work... or well, just about anything. I imagine it might take a little bit longer to chew through a few centuries of memories, hence the benefit of the doubt here, but the more I think about this the more I see it going roughly along the lines of:

Pyra kills the Saltborn. Then kills him after a brief skirmish again... and again... eventually forgets the Saltborn was ever an enemy... ends up a lot like the amnesiacs one sees wandering the island, as basically a psychic battery for the God, whereafter the Saltborn has no reason to kill a now-docile Pyra.

...I'm kinda thinking I need to change my vote, to be honest. I can maybe see Pyra winning a decent chunk of the time, but assuming she takes roughly half of the matches requires too many sketchy assumptions about how she acts in-character in a situation like this (immediately going for time-stop to obliterate), how the mechanics of her reality-warping work in a direct combat context, etc. for me to be comfortable casting that.

...However.

I might change my vote back? I'd like some elaboration on A: how her reality-warping powers of turning an imagination into a reality work, a bit more specifically, and B: what's in-character for her to do.

Also, C:, might her Soul Manipulation be used offensively? That would be a pretty solid win condition, if that was the case, but as far as I can see she can only manipulate her own spirit, not other peoples'.

^ I wanted to give Pyra the benefit of the doubt, but the post above (which would be way to big to quote) gives a pretty good reason why the Saltborn win. I switch my vote to him.

Switching to Saltborn even tho the guy never voted Saltborn other then saying "I might change my vote back"?

No it isn't

If a person is responsible for 90% of the reasons and they switch, the debate goes on

Gargoyle One said:
Switching to Saltborn even tho the guy never voted Saltborn other then saying "I might change my vote back"?
He meant if Pyra can some how get past mindhax and resurrect (which I doubt she can) he will switch back to her.

I don't see Immortality type 3 or resurrection on Saltborn's profile. Also, I said it really depends who uses their best hax first. Saltborn's mind hax is his trump card, but at the same time; Pyra's precognition and timestop are her trump cards. Pyra can still blitz him while time is stopped. Also, wouldn't Power Nullification enable Pyra to nullify Resurrection if he really does have that?

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I don't see Immortality type 3 or resurrection on Saltborn's profile. Also, I said it really depends who uses their best hax first. Saltborn's mind hax is his trump card, but at the same time; Pyra's precognition and timestop are her trump cards. Pyra can still blitz him while time is stopped. Also, wouldn't Power Nullification enable Pyra to nullify Resurrection if he really does have that?
Then you didn't look hard enough because I found resurrection instantly (sorry if I sounded rude, but it's super easy to find)

Isn't Type 3 Immortality like, if you had never died at all, and regenerated back from a cell or a disembodied consciousness or some such? That's not really how this particular bit works, it's that they die, and the come back to life. It's the same reason The Good Hunter, The Chosen Undead, etc. don't have some crazy-high Regenerationn. I guess you could make a case for it?

Also, @Medeus, a couple of other questions:

One, how exactly does her power nullification work? And how long does it last? That seems... pertinent, around now.

Two, what would Pyra lead with, in-character? My research hasn't really turned up much in that regard beyond that she has a pretty strong fire thematic element going, so there's that I guess.

In the mean-time, I'll be reading back up on The Drowned Tome and making sure I've got all of my S&S lore straight, there might be a thing or two misconstrued or forgotten maybe.

Oh wait, I take that back. Power Nullification simply removes buffs and stuff, nothing super major now that I think about.

Pyra leads with Foresight; Precognition and Time Stop. Also, Fire Element is specifically base form Pyra, her upgraded 2nd key is a composite version of every single Blade in Xenoblade 2. So not just fire, but water, wind, earth, gravity, ect. But still her time stop is fairly potent, but how long it lasts, I don't quite know, but Numbersguy probably knows more about XB2 than I do.

And what about the reality warping? Is that something she consciously activates under specific circumstances? Or is just kind of a passive "whatever I conceptualize when I perform a physical reaction overpowers whatever my foe might be trying to do"?

Feel free to bring @Numbersguy in if you'd like, I'm still interested in reaching a proper conclusion on this.

Back