• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Psykorochi Beam Split: OPM chapter 138

In chapter 138 of the One Punch Man manga, Atomic Samurai deflects a beam fired by Psykorochi here and two pages later, we see several enormous explosions in the background where some of the beams strands were seemingly deflected.

@DarthSpiderr has already calced this feat, but we have been discussing which explosion best describes the explosions, deflagration or airblast? As a new calcer, I have a few questions about how we choose our method here. I understand deflagration quite well- we're calculating how much energy a fireball (deflagration, not detonation) generates. For huge-fire based attacks and other giant combustions, this method works rather well. But DarthSpiderr and I have two questions we would like to discuss before we take this calc to the next OPM CRT.

1.) What kind of explosions are we looking at here? Are they giant fireballs, large smoke clouds or nuclear-like combinations of fireball, smoke and dust (from shockwaves)?

2.) Having determined that, which method would work better here- the standard radius explosion method or deflagration? If neither works, do we have an alternate method that better encapsulates what we are seeing here?

Here's DarthSpiderr's calc: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/U...flects_many_Psykorochi_beams_at_the_same_time

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Aight, we might as well just message the calc members instead of waiting
I did that when I made the thread. I messaged four calc group members in conversations and quoted a few others in the OPM main thread. It has been two days, so if you want to contact some calcers again that might be a good idea

So I can't really tell, did you provide an image of the explosions? I see the pages where AS cut the beams, but I don't see any blasts on said pages.

So I can't really tell, did you provide an image of the explosions? I see the pages where AS cut the beams, but I don't see any blasts on said pages.
Yeah, it's this image right here in the middle panel between the slashing images. The explosions are in the background behind Atomic Samurai. It's a kind of blink and you miss it feat, I mean most of us didn't even notice it in the first read through.

oh, the little things in the background, got it. if I had to guess what we're looking at (again, ignoring my notoriously bad ability to read ****** manga), that's probably debris- chunks of dirt and dust kicked up by the impact. hard to say how you'd get a radius on an explosion like that, though assumptions can be made without raising too many eyebrows. I gotta ask, though- those explosions seem fairly small, no? The man is Low 7-B, unless I'm missing something, these absolutely won't reach Tier 7.

oh, the little things in the background, got it. if I had to guess what we're looking at (again, ignoring my notoriously bad ability to read ****** manga), that's probably debris- chunks of dirt and dust kicked up by the impact. hard to say how you'd get a radius on an explosion like that, though assumptions can be made without raising too many eyebrows. I gotta ask, though- those explosions seem fairly small, no? The man is Low 7-B, unless I'm missing something, these absolutely won't reach Tier 7.
The little cracks right next to them are several hundred meters wide actually, so these explosions are actually several thousand meters wide. You can see the little itty bitty city blocks and buildings by the explosion on the right too, although they're only a pixel or two wide so very hard to scale

oh. if you say so, I s'pose you'd know better than I.

In that case, assuming you can assure some accurate size scaling (I shall leave the means of this to you), I believe this is probably the standard calc to go with. Most ground-oriented explosions use it, particularly when said explosion is non-spherical. To scale the actual blast, I'd use this as the diameter of the actual explosion, with the outlying stuff being (ostensibly) debris and shrapnel kicked up by the explosion.

oh. if you say so, I s'pose you'd know better than I.

In that case, assuming you can assure some accurate size scaling (I shall leave the means of this to you), I believe this is probably the standard calc to go with. Most ground-oriented explosions use it, particularly when said explosion is non-spherical. To scale the actual blast, I'd use this as the diameter of the actual explosion, with the outlying stuff being (ostensibly) debris and shrapnel kicked up by the explosion.
Thank you very much for the input, we'll take that advice and work with it.

It should be interesting
Could you redo the calc with this formula that Bambu recommended? It is for explosions like this on the ground he says, I will trust his judgement since he is a calc group member.

I think we should do a deflagration method as well, since I think these might be giant fireballs with minimal debris and smoke. Let me know if you have questions about that...

So maybe a low end with Bambu's formula and a high end with deflagration? It's hard to tell what these explosions are, they're either debris or giant fireballs in my opinion, they don't look like a traditional explosion drawn by Murata:
020.jpg

It should be interesting
Let me know what you think of these formulae. The only thing to keep in mind is that the result for the first formula is in tons of tnt and not joules, so you'll have to multiply it by 4.184 *10^9 to get the result in joules or divide it by one million to get the result in megatons/ one thousand to get the results in kilotons.

Did the math here with the ground explosion formula, let me know what you think.

(LE, ground explosion) Starting with the diameter for the left front explosion according to Darthspiderr: 2467.55657328m, 1233.778287m radius.

1233.778287^3 * (((27136 * 1.37895) +8649)^1/2)/ 13568 - 93/13568) = 469,982.0381 tons of tnt * 10 (for the ten beam strands) = 1.96640485×10^16 joules or 4.69 megatons, low 7-B.

(HE, Deflagration) Now for the deflagration formula. Using this image, I will find the height of the explosion and calculate it as a half ellipsoid (somewhat lowballing it, since the explosion does flare up and out to the sides near its top). Pixel count of 96, or 3638.793103 meters. Let's multiply that by the shown radius.

4/3 * π * 3638.793 * 1233.778 * 1233.778 = 23201710506/2 = 11,600,855,300m3 * 1.3311 * 13062500 *10 (ten beam strands) = 2.01709799×10^18 joules or 482.1 megatons, 7-A.

Last edited:
Can’t say much on the math, but the low-end would be yet another Low 7-B+ feat for Dragon levels, even though Psykos is one of the strongest Dragon levels and would scale quite a bit above that regardless.

Can’t say much on the math, but the low-end would be yet another Low 7-B+ feat for Dragon levels, even though Psykos is one of the strongest Dragon levels and would scale quite a bit above that regardless.
7-A seems legit to me, since she's on the higher end of Dragon level.

Of course 7-A would be preferable, but the result that’s chosen would be based on the calc itself.

Is the high end reliable tho
If we're talking about a fireball and not an explosion yes. The question is- what kind of explosion is it, a detonation or a deflagration? If it's a detonation, the lower end is correct. If it's a deflagration, the higher end is correct. It's not a question of reliability, but rather the nature of the explosion. I personally don't know what kind of explosion I'm looking at here, it looks like they might be big weird flame pillars. Or odd debris sprays. But not normal explosions, I don't think so.

If we're talking about a fireball and not an explosion yes. The question is- what kind of explosion is it, a detonation or a deflagration? If it's a detonation, the lower end is correct. If it's a deflagration, the higher end is correct. It's not a question of reliability, but rather the nature of the explosion. I personally don't know what kind of explosion I'm looking at here, it looks like they might be big weird flame pillars. Or odd debris sprays. But not normal explosions, I don't think so.
Please, let it be deflagration...

Did any calc members give feedback yet?
Not yet, I just did the math here and haven't posted it yet. I would prefer it that Darthspiderr looked over the math and uploaded it himself, since he's the guy who made the original calc. If he thinks it is good and uploads it, I will make sure to ask calc members to give feedback on the updated calc.

Not yet, I just did the math here and haven't posted it yet. I would prefer it that Darthspiderr looked over the math and uploaded it himself, since he's the guy who made the original calc. If he thinks it is good and uploads it, I will make sure to ask calc members to give feedback on the updated calc.
Okay. Then I'll start adding that to my calculation right now. Only now the protection of the calc will be on you.

The difference between the two ends is huge.
Yes, it's true. But I don't feel qualified to make the distinction between a regular ground explosion and a deflagration in an instance like this. If there's a way to determine between the two with the information we have, I'm all ears

I'm pretty sure it's melting given what we know of orochi/psykos...

I'm pretty sure it's melting given what we know of orochi/psykos...
Well, we can't calc it as melting because even if we can assume that outcome (not unreasonable thinking back to Orochi vs Garou) we don't know how deep the melted area would be, even if we could roughly scale the affected area to the explosion. But if you think it's melting, the 7-A deflagration end would be better (the flamey option).

Back