• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you could start a staff thread discussion about it?

I don't think I get a say in it, but regardless, I think it should say. Just because it may only be used for meme fights doesn't mean its legitimacy as a profile should come into question. The chuck norris here is strictly based off of the one in the fact book, and it has legitimate feats.

As far as I'm concerned, the profile fits wiki standards, and should say. Once again, I probably don't have a say in it, and I don't want to derail this thread, but in my opinion, it should stay. Keeping it closely monitored and admin locked should be enough.

The chuck norris thing should honestly be in the jokes battle wiki, not the vs wiki since it's just an exageration of literally EVERYTHING that he's done.

"The chuck norris here is strictly based off of the one in the fact book, and it has legitimate feats. "

No it doesn't. It's a meme book about an internet meme.

Matthew Schroeder said:
"The chuck norris here is strictly based off of the one in the fact book, and it has legitimate feats. "
No it doesn't. It's a meme book about an internet meme.
For one, we can't outright just say meme or joke characters aren't allowed on VSB. Otherwise glogoglabwhatever and Arale have to go.

Besides, this is a character indexing website above all else. The fact book Chuck norris, is in fact, an incarnation/version of Chuck norris.

The only argument that it should leave boils down to "issa meme". You have to remember that the internet makes things memes, and that just because it's a meme doesn't inherently make it a toxic profile. Lest we delete Reinhardt since it has become a meme around here.

>Arale

>Meme character compared to Chuck Norris jokes

Are you actually series? Arale is a legitimate, real fictional character from a published manga. This isn't a fictional Chuck Norris from a series. This is a book about an internet meme.

Arale is a still a gag character nonetheless.

Again, Chuck being a meme shouldn't effect the legitimacy as a profile.

The official chuck norris fact book is also an actual book as well.

Youbsay its ameme on what basis? Its joking in nature, but it does not make him into a tier 0 who van solo all fictionol cuz i said so.

Its obviously a gag book, but that alone is not enough to have it removed, and it is much more consistent than toon force characters

I suppose. But you shouldn't treat the Chuck Norris portrayed in the book as non-fictional, as the facts given to us are completely unrealistic. You could say that the Chuck Norris described by the book is basically fictional, as in unreal.

There's also the fact we have Sassy the Sasquatch and Yahweh from an internet comedy series. Both of those are meme esque characters (and neither of them are from officially published sources like Chuck (semi popular YouTube shows).

And as others have said if we didn't allow meme characters Globglogabgalab (is that it's name?) wouldn't be present on the wiki.

Yahweh was deleted, if you mean the one from DarkMatter.

Big Lez is a legitimate animation series.

The whole Glob profile could be deleted. It was made because it's a meme over how bad it is.

I still agree with Matthew. We should ideally only feature characters from legitimate notable published actual stories.

However, in the blog post that I linked to, Ryukama and Darkanine seemed to want the profile, so a staff discussion may be necessary.

I just don't see the problem with the profile.

The most popular argument is "issa meme" but there are tons of meme and joke esque characters on the site.

Another argument is that it paves the way for more "meme" characters. But we already have a ton of those, and they should just simply be judged on a case by case basis. Allowing one profile won't destroy the wiki as long as people use their heads and think.

You can also argue that the Chuck Norris described within the book actually is fictional. I mean it's not exactly non-fictional, unless we're implying Chuck Norris can actually destroy the universe with his kicks irl.

Again, the entire point of this site is to feature notable characters from actual official stories. That some profiles break this rule does not mean that several wrongs make a right.

Also, Matthew, this is exactly what I mean with my "slippery slope" perspective. Once a few inappropriate characters have been let in, other members will recurrently demand a lot more of them.

1) Fair point

2) Again tho it's a fairly obscure YouTube comedy series and is no more valid then Dark Matter.

3) If the Glob profile's made due to the meme I don't see why it's not deleted.

Antvasima said:
Again, the entire point of this site is to feature notable characters from actual official stories. That some profiles break this rule does not mean that several wrongs make a right.
Also, Matthew, this is exactly what I mean with my "slippery slope" perspective. Once a few inappropriate characters have been let in, other members will recurrently demand a lot more of them.
The Chuck Norris described by the book is notable by virtue of being Chuck Norris.

I'm only asking that this stays is because your argument essentially boils down to "it's a meme". If the other profiles break the rules, then why haven't those been deleted. Oh. It's because being a meme does not inherently disqualify you for a place on this wiki.

I'd also like to point out that this is an official "Chuck Norris" from a published book. So I don't know why you're trying to imply Chuck Norris of all people isn't a notable "character, or that it's not from a "story". It has just as much validity as any other character from a book. The only reason it's being discredited is because the internet has made Chuck Norris into a meme. But if we're going to say characters shouldn't have a place on this wiki because the internet has turned them into a meme, then I'm sure there are a few characters on this wiki who gotta go since they've been meme'd. If that sounds ridiculous to you then you should understand why this profile is okay.

I'm going to sleep now and won't have time to respond for a while so at least my stance on the matter is known.

The point is that no meme characters without a story should be allowed in this wiki according to our rules, and that several wrongs do not make a right.

However, this is not a discussion thread. It is best if Matthew creates such a thread for this issue in the staff forum.

The book is basically the real life Chuck Norris listing a "fact" about himself he likes, then debunking it with some actual truth about himself.

It's not really a "story" per say. I guess one can argue there's some duality in the book between a fictionalized Chuck Norris and a real life Chuck Norris. That it's like Chunnibyo where there's a contrast of someone in fantasy vs in reality. However that seems to be a stretch in what's essentially an autobiography with some jokes in it.

Of course "he became a meme" isn't at all a valid reason.

Honestly I think the site is a bit too strict on things in general and that there's no harm to this being allowed, but still I can understand not wanting it.

Either way 1 staff alone shouldn't dictate this if it was already agreed upon by much more, so I restored it for now. But I'm fine with deleting it, especially if that's what most others want.

Yes, we should talk about this in the staff forum first,

When he posted that, it was just a blank template.

Well, there is no rule against such characters, even if there may not be as much of a point to them.

I think its fine. She's from a very popular seires, is above average intelligance. So she could win fights against other human level characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back