• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Profile Clean ups

LordAizenSama

VS Battles
Retired
So I've thought about making this thread for awhile and never got around to it.

I've been thinking that a mass cleanup edits thread that could be used for recording where our edits are upto would be helpful. I noticed we had a kind of similar thread here , but not quite what this one is supposed to be.

For this to work I've got rules to follow:

Edits will go in Alphabetical order through Tiers. You can see and change this here when you click on sorting type. Make sure you change this when you go to a certain Tier, because it won't be set to that on default. Since tiers 0 Through to 2 are all locked, Preferably Staff who can edits those pages should start there, going from A to Z. Regular members can start from tier 10, going from A to Z there also. Tier 11 can be left alone for now.

If you wish to contribute make sure you reply to this thread saying Where you are starting from, and where you plan to stop editing. This is to avoid clashes while editing, and so others can start from where you're saying to stop, before you finish.

For Example, I wanted to do from the characters AM to Alexander ( FF VI ) on the first page.

Basically the edits will be things like:

-Standard Profile Format

-Putting the relevant links into: Attack Potency, Durability,Striking strength, etc etc.

-Removing Capital L's from "level" when describing AP or Dura

-Updating Profile picture layouts, some may be in the outdated position to the left or elsewhere.

-Updating terms to current standards. IE: Destructive Capacity to Attack Potency, Probably to Possibly , and so on.

Note: This is only for minor cleanups not revisions of stats or the like.

Double Note: By no means is this needed to be rushed in a certain amount of time or anything like that, it's just casual cleaning but being able to see progress easily identifiable and organised in a thread. You are by no means pressured to be involved in this if you don't want to.

If anyone here is unsure of how to edit things in the classic editor, see this page as a guide on basic editing.

If you're going to do it, you may aswell do it right? I guess?

as for being useless I don't expect this to be done by any date, I just think it will be helpful, and every bit helps.

@Mighty even in the worse case scenario they aren't 100% correct, it's not like cleaning profiles is ever going to be a bad thing. it will still be a approvement over the now.

Seems like a good idea. I can start on Tier 9 pages A to C for now. I've noticed that Tier 9 pages in particular are pretty rough.

@Darkanine Yes, certainly the tier 9s and 10s are lacking he quality of the higher ones, But I'd suggest regular members start at tier 10, so we don't get to confused as to where everyone is. But when you post what you want to edit try make sure thats when you're about to start editing

Although I suppose if enough people become interested in doing this, people could begin on a different tier. but for now lets try to keep it simple and not confuse ourselves

I'm definitely going to help out, but I'm crammed for all of next week. I'll take whatever isn't taken by then I suppose.

Crazystarf said:
I will get around to editing tiers 8 and 7. Is there a due date for this specific project?

Well since it seems more like a general cleaning process, I assume we can take our time with it.

I can help with Tier 1/2 profiles as well.

Take note that we cannot make this into an official massive wiki project. That would take up almost all of the staff's time and energy to handle everything else going on in the wiki.

However, it would probably be fine if people want to casually help out to improve the structure of the wiki profiles when they find the time.

It should, however, not take priority over helping out with content revision threads, monitoring edits, evaluating calculations, or similar tasks.

Personally i don't find this necessary ,it will take too much time and effort just to coordinate with each other (much like what happened with the Attack Potency revision but on a bigger scale).

What i think should be done is what i used to do when cleaning profiles ,just randomly visit profiles and when i find something that needs cleaning i would clean it.

I agree with Kkapoios. Cleaning profiles here and there when somebody finds the time is okay, but starting a project to revise 7130 pages is a massive undertaking that would have to be planned for the holidays at least months in advance. You should talk about this with Lord Kavpeny in private before starting anything.

Like I said, It's not like I planned for this to be done by a due date, it's just casual editing at leisure. I fail to see how it can be a bad thing. it can motivate people to actually contribute and see a actual difference, instead of taking stabs in the dark with random profiles at a time.

If people don't want to help, they don't have to. this is just a easy way to organise it. nobody is forced to help out,if they don't want to. I could organise a group of members outside of the forums to do this and everyone would be none the wiser.

Well, as I mantioned, leisurely helping out is fine, and appreciated, but I am worried that it could easily divert time and resources from our regular wiki work if it turns into an actual project.

It is probably best to PM Lord Kavpeny about it, and waiting to see what he thinks first. His computer has broken though, so it might take a while.

Thank you. He already has various projects planned for a long-term future schedule, so it is probably best to check how this project would fit in.

Well i'm actually the same as what Kkapoios just do: Randomly go to another page and clean that up......well normally when i get my mind to do it.

The edits themselves seem easy enough. The problem is the amount of pages. I would like to help out with this but it would be fairly hard to find the time to do so.

Keep in mind that for some characters like this one , they can have more than one tier. This would mean that if somebody cleans up a character that is in both Tier 8 and 7, depending on which tier she was edited from, an editor can just skip that profile because it was already edited by someone else anyways.

This is assuming one editor is editing the entire Tier 8 section and another is editing the entire Tier 7 section.

Also, if there are any locked profiles, it should be skipped for editing as they should be in the correct format anyways.

Hmm...I see.

I agree with the idea Aize, and if you don't mind, would like to hammer out some specifics:

1. This is a casual project. That is to say, nobody is compelled to take part in it, but they are most free to participate.
  2. At no point, will there be any official deadline to be met for any segment of this project. This is because doing otherwise would circumvent guideline #1.
  3. This project might be paused or halted at any point if necessary (say, due to any ongoing active projects).
Is that fine, and are there any further suggestions?

I'm okay with participating. Question though. If there's a profile with unjustified stats and I don't know enough about the series to find the appropriate links, is it okay to add "Unjustified Stats" to the categories so people who do have more knowledge can add the links/justification later on?

I agree with Kav's suggested guidelines.

Well, I am admittedly a paranoid individual, but I suppose that this would be acceptable if it does not interfere with participation in content revision threads, and similar staff duties.

Well, the fact is that as Sheot Said: The edits themselves seem easy enough.

Certanly the edits are easily...but i guarantee that people is going to dropped at some point...

Believe me..during the AP revision i edited around 700+ profiles. Almost around the 300 edits, my head was like going to explode.

Mostly of the edits that i made were:

-Putting the relevant links into: Attack Potency, Durability,Striking strength, etc etc.

-Removing Capital L's from "level" when describing AP or Dura

-Updating Profile picture layouts, some may be in the outdated position to the left or elsewhere.

-Updating terms to current standards. IE: Destructive Capacity to Attack Potency

At certain point it becomes painful.

If I understand properly, this would just be about editing a few profiles here and there though, over the span of several months, correct?

That seems to be the case (and is something I've already been working on with the Final Fantasy profiles).

Kavpeny's suggestions sounds ok to me. However, I would like to make a few suggestions.

1. If a couple members (2 or 3, preferably experienced editors) are willing to contribute to editing profile pages for each tier, this project may not take all that long.

2. If this project is to be at any point due to a different project, a cancellation notice must announced so everybody can know.

@Xcano: Instead of "unjustified stats", just type in "Unknown" for stats you are not sure of.

@Crazy I'm talking about in the Categories, like this except for pages with unjustified things, not replacing the stats with "Unknown". We'd lose a lot of info if we did that.

Back