• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Problems with Extended Melee Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so. Antvasima said that it is only ''preferred'' to use the standard tiers.

Yes, that's why I think keeping them at Extended Melee Range is fine for now. They are already there.

We might need to start a wiki project for this, yes, preferably by using the following code in Google search: "extended melee" site:vsbattles.wikia.com

Would somebody else in the staff be willing to start a thread for it, or should we let this change be a gradual process instead?

So, what is the future name of a revised 3-10 meters tier? Thrown weapon range or several meters?

Antvasima said:
Probably thrown weapon range.
Either way, we'll need these bullet points.

• It's important to note that the act of throwing results in arbitrary distances. This category simply covers the minimum distance required to be out of reach for most melee weapons.
  • Characters whose melee range is under 10 meters yet exceeds the limits of most melee weapons (including spears) qualify under this range.

@Ant

That would be a simple solution, since the majority of the range ratings are just measures of distance.

Reppuzan's suggestion has gap in 2-3m range. Extended melee upper limit should be higher or thrown weapon lowel limit lower.

True enough, and we should rename thrown weapon range to several meters instead.

I agree with using several meters instead of thrown weapon range.

Standard Melee Range: 50 cm to 1 m

• Applies to fighters using mostly their arms and legs as weapons.
  • This includes most standard melee weapons, such as daggers, swords, axes, maces, etcetera
Extended melee range: 1-2 m

• Applies to fighters who utilize long melee weaponry or have otherwise short-ranged attacks that extend beyond normal human reach.
  • Applies to weapons such as spears, halberds, and whips.
  • This also applies to characters who possess abnormally long weapons such as Cloud Strife's Buster Sword and Guts' Dragonslayer.
Several meters: 2-10 m

• Applies to weapons that are designed to be utilized as throwing weapons such as shuriken, bombs, grenades, and chakrams.
So, something like this then?

As the OP, I'm gonna leave a note here and say this. I just felt it needed to be said...

I can't believe one guy's nitpicking on one category would lead to one of the most major revisions in Vs Battles Wiki history.

Well, I am not sure how we should organise this yet.

Antvasima said:
Well, I am not sure how we should organise this yet.
It depends on how many volunteers will be there. Admins can handle with protected pages.

@Antvasima IIRC, for the 3rd one and assuming you're quoting @Rep's suggestion, that should say "thrown weapon range" not "several meters."

Edit: Nvm, ignore this reply.

Well, I am too tired to organise this myself, but would appreciate help from other staff members.

Should I invite other staff members to comment here as well? This thread is lacking in staff opinions. And if it goes through, it will be a pretty big revision, so I think we should get more input just to be safe.

@AKM

You can ask all of the administrators to comment if you wish. Preferably the content and discussion moderators as well.

If it's just for editing our range page (and our standards), this seems fine, but I don't think actually doing a wiki-wide revision would be reasonable, if that's what is planned.

I agree with this, but I don't believe a wiki-wide revision is needed. All we need to do is touch up files we see with an EMR issue when we see them.

I agree, it's not something which will affect anything mojor even if not done immediately. Probably best to let this be a gradual process.

I was summoned

Excuse me whilst I read the 100+ replies

Alright thrown weapon range sounds weird to me considering other weapons could be in that range but other than that this seems fine.

Common sense. I approve.

Standard Melee Range: 50 cm to 1 m

• Applies to fighters using mostly their arms and legs as weapons.
  • This includes most standard melee weapons, such as daggers, swords, axes, maces, etcetera
Extended melee range: 1-2 m

• Applies to fighters who utilize long melee weaponry or have otherwise short-ranged attacks that extend beyond normal human reach.
  • Applies to weapons such as spears, halberds, and whips.
  • This also applies to characters who possess abnormally long weapons such as Cloud Strife's Buster Sword and Guts' Dragonslayer.
Several meters: 2-10 m

• Applies to weapons that are designed to be utilized as throwing weapons such as shuriken, bombs, grenades, and chakrams.
Would this be acceptable?

Well, I think most of us agree to say several meters instead of throwing weapons; in fact, a lot of throwing weapons can very depending on thrower and object being thrown. So that would only confuse newcomers. and it's not like several kilometers is called "Sniper Weapon range" or anything.

But other than that, Reppuzan's suggestion is great. And the way Antvasima has in the quoted block of text above looks perfect for me.

Okay. Should I update the Range page accordingly then?

Should we add a footnote explanation about that pages that still list extended melee range should be gradually updated?

Yes, I think that should be fine.

I can tackle this at some point with AWB, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back