• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Problems with Extended Melee Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be happy to help. My holidays have already begun, so I can smash through them in a few hours if I put my mind to it

EDIT: 2,634 pages? Oh dear god. Also, shouldn't this be highlighted or something to prevent peeps creating new extended melee range sword users?

@Dargoo Faust

You can ask if Promestein and Darkanine are willing to help out with correcting errors. They have a mass-edit script for these types of situations.

However, it may be unrealistic to start a massive project for all the pages with extended melee range listed, especially as we would not usually know what should apply. Gradual changes over a long period of time may or may not be better.

I would reccomend highlighting though. That way people make new pages have the appropriate ratings, and so that people update any page they come accross. Also, is there a way specifically to find characters this applies to? Because I have a ton of free time, and I could fix many of them.

At the moment, the characters up for change are sword users with regular sized swords, however more may be on the chopping block

@Dargoo

Okay. Thank you for the help.

Do you think that we should highlight this thread?

This makes sense to me. Though there are also weapons such as claws or gauntlets that increase melee range, even if only by a few centimeters/inches. I think they should be incorporated into this as well if they aren't already. Essentially, anything that allows for extension beyond typical human appendages.

@Litentric

Not exactly. There are some melee weapons like very long spears, halberds, pikes, polearms, etc that can reach that range. However yes, most, if not all real life swords would fall in Standard Melee Range now.

Should be noted that each of those weapons should preferably be added to the length of an average adult human's arm; which is roughly 63.5 centimeters. Also, looking at the range page, we consider sword wielders standard melee range with pike and halberd users Extended melee range.

Though, I agree with lowering the baseline for Extended Melee range, since I always though of characters who punch as having Standard Melee range and sword users as extended melee range. And most sword users ect, are rated as extended melee range. And considering 3 meters is roughly Goliath's height, which even long spears aren't quire that long; that further emphases either downgrading the baseline for Extended Melee range, or considering even long pole weapons just melee range. But former sounds more reasonable.

I think about 1.2 meters sounds like a more reasonable baseline for Extended Melee range.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Should be noted that each of those weapons should preferably be added to the length of an average adult human's arm; which is roughly 63.5 centimeters. Also, looking at the range page, we consider sword wielders standard melee range with pike and halberd users Extended melee range.
"Considering an arm has to grasp a weapon to in order to even use it, I measured my own arm with my hand in a grasping position and got 63.5 cm. Let's assume 65 cm for the length of a grasping arm. With the weapons in question, I can get values like these." OP did that for each weapon they mentioned.

The Range page was just updated by me, actually.

If we use the 65 sm for grasping arm length, and using the low end for the Bronze Age Sword, 65 + 60 = 125 cm. Sound about right IMO.

I'm fine with Dargoo's suggestion.

@Dargoo

I'm not sure why you responded with that. I was more so talking about the lower end of the extended melee range. Not making any comments with regards to the higher end.

Hold on. 3 to 10 meters for extended melee range?

The average glaive is about two meters long from tip to tip.

There's no reasonable melee weapon that's much longer than that aside from things like the Buster Sword and Sephiroth's Masamune.

The average sword is around 60-90 cm, which is still beyond normal human reach.

Grenades also aren't melee weapons. Darts, shuriken, chakrams, and other throwing tools aren't melee weapons either.

So should we change it to 2 to 10 meters instead?

Even Buster Sword is 6 feet with Masamune being 7 feet; 3 meters is around 9'9" or 9.75 feet. Extended Melee Range's baseline should be downgraded yes.

Ye, the weapons which can be thrown like grenades are ranged, not melee.

Reppuzan said:
Grenades also aren't melee weapons. Darts, shuriken, chakrams, and other throwing tools aren't melee weapons either.
Extended Melee Range covered thrown weapons before and after the changes.

Standard Melee Range covers most melee weapons now, although 2 meters for extended makes some sense.

I don't think that it is a good idea to change the name of extended melee range unless some of our staff members are willing to update all of the pages that list it.

Some characters even have things like "Several Meters" which isn't even a range category on the page. And Thrown weapons can reach tens of meters; or possibly even far higher than that considering a lot of characters are superhuman. Again, thrown weapons aren't really melee range and fall under projectile category.

I still think more like 1.5 meters makes more sense for the baseline for Extended melee range; Claymores, which are the largest historical swords, also have blade length of 107 cm and adding that to arm length makes it around 170 cm or 1.7 m.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Some characters even have things like "Several Meters"
Last time I checked, you don't need to use one of the range categories. Using specific numbers should actually be encouraged for accuracy.

I think it's preferable to use it for general purposes (e.g. sword range), but for things with given range (e.g. guns and STELLA!!!!!), it'd be better to use those.

I don't know if anyone else in the thread brought this up, because I read the OP and saw no one defend the current values, but I assume the reason it initially had such a value is because the fighter now has an object to throw at the opponent.

@Dargoo

I'm pretty sure we should revise our definition of Extended Melee Range then, because throwing a bomb isn't anything remotely approaching melee.

@Reppuzan

Do you have a suggestion for how we should revise this?

Reppuzan said:
@Dargoo
I'm pretty sure we should revise our definition of Extended Melee Range then, because throwing a bomb isn't anything remotely approaching melee.
Yes, I agree with this. Throwing something makes it a ranged attack, not melee.

So should we call extended melee range something else instead? That would require quite a lot of profile pages revisions though.

I think he simply meant to exclude throwing tools from the Extended Melee Range listing. I'd still call it Extended Melee range, but make it more like 1.5 to 3 meters for Extended Melee. Then perhaps a new stat being several meters between Extended melee and tens of meters. Those are my thoughts, but I'll wait for Reppuzan to come back.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I think he simply meant to exclude throwing tools from the Extended Melee Range listing. I'd still call it Extended Melee range, but make it more like 1.5 to 3 meters for Extended Melee. Then perhaps a new stat being several meters between Extended melee and tens of meters. Those are my thoughts, but I'll wait for Reppuzan to come back.
If that IS the case, I'm not sure whether to call it "Superhuman Range" or "Several Meters." The latter sounds more reasonable to me.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I think just reducing the meter range of Extended Melee Range would do. We probably don't need another stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back