• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azathoth_the_Abyssal_Idiot

VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
So, I'm making this thread because I'm genuinely not sure what to make of this, and would like some input.

Currently, I'm not sure if the ratings for certain 40k characters reflect their true power, but I'm also not sure we should upgrade them. Basically, I've been finding certain feats which would likely scale to certain characters and are drastically higher than what they're rated as currently, but I'm not sure how exactly they should be applied.

Before, I mentioned this feat, but initially wrote it off since we didn't know how many daemons it was caused by.

"By the Dying Light (477.M39) - Daemonic servants of Tzeentch created Warp rifts inside each of the twin suns of Haark. Soon, the leering faces upon the stars drove the entire population of the system insane, but the Daemons' incessant bickering triggered a duel-nova event. With the fate of the system now measured in hours, the Black Consuls Chapter sent in Strike Force Ultra Varnor to recover sacred relics from the time of their founding. Captain Varnor and his brothers braved both Daemons and madmen in the burning cities of Haark to collect the relics, narrowly escaping into the void only moments before the stars died spectacularly."

As I said, we have no idea how many daemons caused these two suns to explode, but there are two important things to remember. This first is that this is caused by daemons who are not even important enough to be named or specified to be greater daemons. In fact, "incessant bickering" seems to imply lesser daemons like Pink Horrors, who are almost always depicted as gibbering and bickering amongst each other, whereas Tzeentch's greater daemons are always portrayed as maniacal, calculating, and cruel. It seems heavily against their nature to bicker against each other. Granted, it was likely done by a lot of Horrors, but this still depicts what is likely lesser daemons blowing up suns on accident. The second important thing to remember is that this was done in realspace/the material universe, which is where daemons are immeasurably weakened.

However, this is not the only feat of this level. This happens in the Eye of Terror novel from 1999, which was recently republished in Black Library's The Book of the Lion anthology only three years ago, so it is very much canon. This is what happens to Calliden while flying through the Eye of Terror. Breaking it into a few parts because this is a long one.

"A planetary system loomed up. He slowed further and steered close to take a good look at it. Its sun was huge, except that it was not what he would normally think of as a sun. It was not spherical but a flat disc, in colour a brilliant shimmering green. There were at least twenty different planets, each a different colour- mauve, russet, lemon yellow, magenta- but they were not arranged as planets normally are. Instead of being roughly in the same plane, their orbits criss-crossed at all angles, linke the electrons of an atom, and sometimes more than one planet shared the same orbit. Then something appeared which caused Calliden to sit stock-still with shock. A figure was flying through the system, and it was bigger than the planets themselves, bigger than the disc-shaped green sun. A vaguely humanoid figure but crimson-furred, with a ferociously fanged, dog-like head, eyes glaring like pits of blood from beneath jutting horns, the head topped by great angled horns plus a twisted unicorn horn jutting from the crown. The creature was flying by, flapping great membranous wings which put a dozen planets in shadow with each pass. It wore brief, ornately worked armour down to the waist, glinting red and black, close-fitting except at the shoulders whch were protected by raised and extravagently worked pieces. The curve-bladed battle-axe it carried in one hand, holding the haft loosely as it flew, was bronze-black and vaster than any weapon should be. A supernatural energy seemed to flow and crackle through the unbelievable apparition, making it more solid-seeming, more real, than any natural creature.

...Now something happened which confused Calliden at first. The apparition seemed to be retreating. Too late, he realized that it in fact was approaching, but diminishing in size at the same time.

The daemon seemed angry. It flew alongside the Wandering Star, no more than twenty times the size of the spacecraft now, glancing at it sidelong with its smouldering eyes, wings beating majestically.

...Calliden shrieked and pulled on the controls as the warp entity, in a sudden rage, swung round and lashed out with the battle-axe, itself larger than the starship. The Wandering Star jinked aside, narrowly missing being crushed by the blow, then sped off.
The daemon did not follow. The spaceship was too minute to be worth the bother, no more significant than a gnat. When last he looked Calliden saw the immense Chaos creature, system-sized again, taking his frustration out on one of the circling coloured worlds, batting it sidewise with the flat of the battle-axe, and sending the broken pieces hurtling into the disc-shaped sun.

For the very first time the navigator felt that now he truly understood what it was that the divine Emperor was striving to protect the human race from.

Briefly he wondered if the smashed planet had had a human population.
"

In summary, here's what happens. While piloting through the Eye of Terror, Calliden runs into a greater daemon (which is clearly a Bloodthirster by description), which is literally the size of a solar system. While observing it, the Bloodthirster approaches him, its nature as a being of Warp energy and the conditions in the Eye of Terror allowing it to shrink to a size which allows it to properly observe Calliden's ship. Terrified, Calliden immediately pilots the ship away, and instead of following, the daemon decides to return to its prior size, taking out its constant anger by smashing one of the planets to pieces.

Now here's the important stuff. This is done by a Bloodthirster while within the Eye of Terror. While Daemons are less restricted in the Eye than in realspace, they are still restricted, but that is a bit beside the point. The reason this is important is because many more powerful Champions of Chaos often fight daemons within the Eye of Terror. Here's a little snippet of info about Kharn, for instance.

"Since Skalathrax, Khârn has become the unstoppable and bloody avatar of Khorne. He hunted through the Eye of Terror, slaughtering any worthy enough to be killed in Khorne's name. One of the famous battles at this time was his fighting with Zarghan Ironfist. However Kharn has taken countless lives and while Human skulls are the most desireable he is known to have slain every almost every kind of xenos and daemon."

So yes, it is heavily suggested Kharn fights enemies like this while within the Eye of Terror, and he isn't even the strongest of Chaos' champions, at the moment. That would be Abaddon.

As I said before, more powerful daemons aren't exactly pushovers in realspace, either. Here's Velthinar, a Warp-entity who is sub-greater daemon level, sucking the energy from red giant to power himself up. Again, while restricted in realspace.

"Lightning crackled around it in every colour. The red giant star dulled as Velthinar drew off its light, surrounding itself in the star's fire so that every edge and tip of its armoured form glowed painfully bright. White-hot and trailing flame lightning like a comet, Velthinar accelerated, arrowing straight for the Endeavour of Will, shining with enough power to punch through the star fort and rip out its innards."

Of course, as I already mentioned that is from a character who is sub-greater daemon level, and significant Champions of Chaos like Kharn and Ahriman are above regular greater daemons.

Here we have Ahriman fighting against an absurdly powerful Eldar Shadowseer, fighting off strikes that were stated to have been able to fell even a bloodthirster.

"The eldar warlock's eldritch fashions were crafted from pure confusion and his every step quaked with disintegrated reality. The length of the Shadowseer's leaf-shaped witchblade sang at Ahriman, forcing the Thousand Sons sorcerer back. Ahriman barely got his Black Staff in front of the devastating sword sweeps. Immaterial energies spilled from both weapons as the psykers clashed, forcing Ahriman further back. The archway bulkhead crashed back down at the Shadowseer's mental insistence and the metal of the Impossible Fortress's walls melted and dribbled down across the seals, fusing the door shut and trapping the sorcerer in the pancratitaph with his enemies.

With Ahriman's power and attention directed very much on his unwelcome visitor, Czevak's levitating body dropped to the deck. From his perspective on the floor the inquisitor watched witchblade and force staff smash, both physically and immaterially. Where they did, the fabric of reality tore. The disciplined grace and furiosity of the Shadowseer's assault would have carved a bloodthirster of Khorne in two. Ahriman was more than pure wanton destruction, however. The Thousand Sons sorcerer was not only an ancient and devastating warrior, he was one of the most talented psykers in the galaxy. More important than either of these facts was the torrent of unbound ambition surging through the sorcerer's veins. He was the impossible made incarnate.
"

Then we have Kharn destroying the essence of a greater daemon of Slaanesh attempting to mind control him and suck out his life force. He's also carved up a Lord of Change before, but I can't find the exact quote/conversation due to being from an audio book.

"Once more, visions of an eternity of corrupt pleasure danced in Khârn's mind. Once more he saw himself indulging in every excess. The daemon promised him every ecstasy imaginable and it was well within its power to grant such pleasures. He knew it would be a simple thing for him to triumph on its behalf. All he had to do was step outside and announce that he had destroyed the Heart of Desire. He was Khârn. He would be believed, and after that it would be a simple matter to lure the Khorne worshipers to ecstatic service or joyful destruction. And did they not deserve it? Already he was known as the Betrayer, when all he had done was be more loyal to his god than the spineless weaklings he had slaughtered. And with that the daemon's voice fell silent and the visions stopped, as if the thing in the throne had realized its mistake, but too late.

For Khârn was loyal to Khorne and there was only room for that one thing within his savage heart. He had betrayed and killed his comrades in the World Eaters because they had not remained true to Khorne's ideals and would have fled from the field of battle without either conquering or being destroyed. The reminder gave him strength. He turned and looked back at the room. The reek of blood and dismembered bodies filled his nostrils like perfume. He remembered the joy of the combat. The thrill of overcoming his former comrades. He looked out on a room filled with corpses and a floor carpeted with blood. He was the only living thing here and he had made it so. He realized that, compared to this pleasure, this sense of conquest and victory, what the daemon offered was only a pale shadow. Khârn turned and brought Gorechild smashing down upon the foul throne. His axe howled thirstily as it drank deep of the ancient and corrupt soul imprisoned within.
"

The problem is that with all this information, I am unsure of how to process it and properly apply and scale it to certain characters. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as many times properly gauging series as expansive as this can be difficult.

In short: pls halp

I will help you the best I can, Azathoth-senpai.

Are these feats consistent with the whole of the series, or would they create problems?

Are all these characters typically portrayed at vastly lower levels of power or do these seem ok with the rest of the franchise?

Would scaling Kharn, Ahriman, Abaddon and the like from these feats create massive problems that would basically scale the whole Verse up or not?

I do not know much about Warhammer 40k, but it would seem weird that these guys would display feats on the level of The Emperor back when he was alive.

Matthew Schroeder said:
I will help you the best I can, Azathoth-senpai.
Are these feats consistent with the whole of the series, or would they create problems?

Are all these characters typically portrayed at vastly lower levels of power or do these seem ok with the rest of the franchise?

Would scaling Kharn, Ahriman, Abaddon and the like from these feats create massive problems that would basically scale the whole Verse up or not?

I do not know much about Warhammer 40k, but it would seem weird that these guys would display feats on the level of The Emperor back when he was alive.
A lot of the problem comes from the fact that the verse as a whole can be iffy on when and why certain characters get substantial power boosts. For instance, we very clearly see know that Horus became substantially more powerful when he was backed by Chaos, and since Horus was one of (if not the) most powerful Primarch(s) when he was alive, we can say Chaos-empowered Abaddon is likely at least on the level of a non-Chaos amped Primarch, since he killed what was described as being a perfect clone of Horus, sans the Chaos boost, obviously.

Then you have characters such as Kharn, who go from the level of "insanely strong space marine but still a space marine" to "can cleave a ******* Greater Daemon in half with an XBAWKZ HUEG daemon axe" in an unspecified amount of time.

Another problem is most of the time, a lot of Chaos Champions don't really have low showings. They just have good showings and better showings. For instance, I can't really think of any moment in which post-Heresy Kharn was actually outmatched in combat, and it has been repeatedly stated that he has killed numerous daemons in the Eye of Terror, where daemons are repeatedly stated to be much less restricted and possess even more awesome power, but that leads to the problem of where we go from there. I mean, we can safely say Kharn had a significantly tougher time with daemonic foes in the Eye, since it has been mentioned there are many foes who thought they had beaten him only to be finished off by a seemingly impossible counter attack. Considering he fought one of the most skilled space marines to ever live, Chapter Master Azrael of the Dark Angels, and literally forced him to frantically flee with Azrael only landing a couple of glancing hits to Kharn's armour for every dozen lethal nearly fatal wounds Kharn dealt to him, I think it's safe to say the foes who nearly beat him were probably ones in the Eye of Terror.

It's not like Kharn being capable of fighting generic greater daemons in the Eye would exactly be outlierish, though. He carved a Lord of Change to pieces in realspace while it desperately tried to bargain with him, and Ahriman, who is around Kharn's level (Ahriman basically is to sorcery what Kharn is to melee), fended off a foe who was described as being capable of cutting apart a Bloodthirster, though obviously in realspace. The Daemon Primarchs also often use common Greater Daemons as generals due to being superior to them, so it's not like these would but high-end champions of Chaos above Daemon Primarchs, either.

Of course, another problem comes in the fact that as strong as Greater Daemons are, there are varying levels to their power. For instance, a generic Bloodthirster couldn't hold a candle to Daemon Angron, and even Kharn, who is significantly below Daemon Angron, could probably carve them up, seeing what he did to a Keeper of Secrets and Lord of Change. However, a Bloodthirster such as An'ggrath, who likely the strongest Bloodthirster in Khorne's army, is treated as being similar in power to Angron.

It's also not as if this would reeeaaaally be similar to The Emperor's best, either. In his life, we never really see him go all out, and we have no idea how much effort it took for him to defeat the large shard of the Void Dragon. While Horus beat him to near death, the Emperor was trying his hardest to hold back, and he paid dearly for it. When he saw there was no hope, he one-shot Horus while he was lying in a pool of his own blood and dying.

It's possible the best solution would be to mention the wider variety of feats, with a lot of higher up characters being "At least____, possibly/likely ____", as that would probably be the safest measure.

However, I do wonder if Velthinar's feat of dimming a red giant can be calced, since that would scale to everyone greater daemon level and up in realspace without having to cross reference things, and possibly give us a safe low-end.

This interests me, but I have a question: Wouldn't this go against the usual power canon? I mean, yeah, Greater Deamons, Khârn and the alikes are way beyond the league of Space Marines, Eldar and the alikes, but even then, we can see Ahriman receiving chip damage from plasma pistols, that are Continental. But it may be just from the heat, not from the power of the plasma pistol on itself. *shrugs* Anyway, I'll see how this plays out.

Is there a particular instance you're referring to? The only one I can think of where post-exile Ahriman was notably hurt by plasma weaponry was when he caused the Great Harlequin's plasma weaponry to explode, which considering it was the full on detonation of the cores for weapons that can reproduce multiple continent level shots per second, should likely be a lot higher. It's also important to note that in this instance, he was not fully armoured, and still the only noticeable damage inflicted was some flesh being seared from his nose and one side of his face, which later heal in a very short timeframe.

"From his crouch on the deck the Great Harlequin brought the plasma pistols up, the sunfire twinkle in the darkness of their gaping muzzles announcing their intention to fire. Clutching his Black Staff the Chaos sorcerer waved a palm at the Great Harlequin. The pistols suddenly exploded, their detonating containment flasks vaporising the surrounding deck in a ball of sun-furious plasma. Despite Ahriman's efforts, the raw, white heat of the detonation set alight his Coptic robes and melted the cerulean flesh from the tip of his nose and patches across one side of his face. The sorcerer brought his clawed fingers up to the exposed tendons and roasted muscle before tearing the robes from his ancient, muscular frame. As the bubble of plasma and destruction receded, it became obvious that the Great Harlequin had disappeared once again."

However, yes, the damage does seem to be from the heat in this case, considering how it's described.

Edit: I'm also trying to see if Velthinar's feat can be calced, which would be very helpful.

@Azathoth Yeah, I was talking about that specific feat. And what about the other characters? Would there be any issue about, like, suddenly make Khârn close to the Primarch-tier beings? Would that scale to characters like Marneus Calgar, Commander Shadowsun and The Swarmlord?

EliminatorVenom said:
@Azathoth
Yeah, I was talking about that specific feat. And what about the other characters? Would there be any issue about, like, suddenly make Khârn close to the Primarch-tier beings? Would that scale to characters like Marneus Calgar, Commander Shadowsun and The Swarmlord?
Base Primarchs? Probably not. Unarmored Pre-Heresy Kharn took a beating from Angron which killed most of his superior officers, and Chaos-amped Abaddon one-shot a perfect clone of Horus, which should logically put him above any base Primarch, which makes sense, as he's backed by all four Ruinous Powers.

I really don't know if stuff like Kharn killing daemons in the Eye of Terror would scale to guys like Calgar. Lorewise, I'm pretty sure there are no other faction's "hero characters" who have bested him. The only notable one I can remember him fighting is Azrael, who is one of the best Space Marines out there, and the whole fight was a one-sided confrontation with Azrael being forced to flee for his life multiple times. The only time I can remember Ahriman's life being in serious danger was when Magnus threatened to kill him, and that was before he was half the sorcerer he is, now. Abaddon brutally stomps the majority of other characters he goes up against (like I mentioned, Chaos Abby one-shot a perfect clone of the strongest Primarch), and the only time I believe he ever lost a direct duel in the lore is when he was bested by Eldrad, and even then, that's not a low showing. Not only did the story imply this was insanely difficult (Eldrad viewed all the strands of fate and possible futures during the fight, and out of countless ones, there was like...one in which he beat Abbadon, which he ended up managing to pull off), but Eldrad is also considered to be an Alpha-Plus level psyker, and it's important to note that, while Eldrad is obviously not as powerful, this is the same level of psyker that the Emperor is classed as.

Again, this is if we do end up scaling Eye of Terror stuff. The only people who are currently scaled to possibly around that level are Abaddon and Eldrad, for obvious reasons.

However, a feat that would scale to guys like Calgar and the Swarmlord without a doubt would be Velthinar's feat, assuming it can be calced and the result is greater than where these characters currently are. The reason for this being that while Velthinar is a powerful daemon, he's definitely not greater daemon level. What is greater daemon level would be, for instance, an Avatar of Khaine, which Calgar managed to defeat after tanking some serious wounds.

Interesting... Thanks for replying, Azzy. By the way, just out of curiosity, and to make the difference in power a little more clear... If Marneus fought against someone like Khârn, what would be the most likely result? (A utter one-shot, a short but hard fight...)

Oh I see it. It seems that it is reasonable to scale the characters to higher levels. I support upgrading the characters.

Bumping, because I think I've come up with a reasonable conclusion.

First off, I would still like to know if Velthinar's red giant feat can be calced. If it can, and the result is higher than what characters currently scaled to Greater Daemon level are ranked as (5-C), then they'll be upgraded based on that. If it's not, it'll just remain the same.

As for the highest Champions of Chaos (Kharn, Ahriman, Typhus, Lucius, and Abaddon), while it can be hard to properly scale them to stuff in the Eye of Terror (to my knowledge, all of them with the possible exception of Lucius have fought multiple powerful Chaos entities in the Eye), they still have the feats, which going by a Bloodthirster being able to make itself the size of a solar system in the Eye, should be much higher than they're currently placed. I feel like an added "Likely far higher" should be added to them and those who scale to them. For instance, Kharn would be "At least 5-C, likely far higher", with the reasoning for the "At least 5-C" remaining the same, and the "likely far higher" being followed by something like "(Has supposedly fought and bested multiple powerful daemons in the Eye of Terror. In the Eye, Greater Daemons such as a Bloodthirster have shown to grow to the size of a solar system with a mere though, and casually reduce planets to rubble)".

I would like to know how this sounds, to others.

I'm pretty fine with the scaling and possible upgrades.

I just read all the original reasons in the OP and that of the recent one here....all while tired....read it once...and properly....it was good. Azzy, can your senpai get points for that...please? ^^;

Anyways looking at all of them, i'm good with having them being the same but having a "likely far higher" rating...uh thing, next to their current tier.

I do want to ask this, tho: Is the "likely far higher" part only when for if the red giant feat doesn't get calc'd or will be there for both either way?

So basically, it's been an amazing time for the WH40K verse with all these upgrades.

Why can't I hold all these upgrades? Anyways, thank you so much for this Azzy.

Is it because it's also one of the only series taht Azzy makes long explanations on? Cause i do like reading explanations. :p Also Azzy, i still need them prop points for that. I legit read all of it. Just like your blogs for the UT and Mythos verses. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back