• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Dark Souls massive upgrade

Looking at the two screenshots here frame-by-frame, you see that the bolt of lightning was nowhere to be seen in the first frame and then said lightning bolt was immediately shown in the second frame.

As for what this means, it means that said lightning bolt only took 1 frame to drop down from said cloud to the ground.

We know now that they're not going to be Massively Hypersonic, based on this scene alone.

At 1:55.125 to 1:55.259

Dark Souls 1
Lightning is nowhere to be see
Dark Souls 2
Lightning immediately crashes to the ground

Do you guys want me to calculate speed feats based on this scene, or not?

@Cin: Is there a calc justifying High Hypersonic?

The vid that you presented is magical lightning, thus it is not natural cloud-to-ground lightning.

Lina Shields said:
@Cin: Is there a calc justifying High Hypersonic?
The vid that you presented is magical lightning, thus it is not natural cloud-to-ground lightning.
so you mean that it could be lower or even higher?

Lina Shields said:
Much lower. Your player character does not move much at all at the same time lightning comes down from cloud to ground.
@Lina

Since using natural lightning speed for magical lightning calcs seems to be a point of contention on the site, perhaps you or another moderator could make a content revision post pertaining to changing site rules on that? For example: strictly using the speed of manmade lightning-like electrical charges (if there's a difference in speed between the two) or only using low end lightning speed?

@Sheev - man-made devices seem to only have about Hypersonic+ speeds for electricity, as shown on Lina's page.

But since Gael's bossfight utilizes real lightning, we could scale from that.

In the case of the Nameless King, that's probably going to be considered Man-made since it came from the King's swordspear, but I consider it real lightning due to it being sent into the clouds before coming down.

@Sheev: No proof that magical lightning even moves close to the speed of actual lightning (even at the minimum speed of lightning).

We would need to actually measure the speed of said magical lightning in question, as the speed of magical lightning in fiction tend to vary in different media.

@CinCameron20: We can scale the speed from Gael's boss fight and the lightning that is used during that fight. Deciding who scales to said feat in question is something I do not get to decided, however.

Lina Shields said:
@Sheev: No proof that magical lightning even moves close to the speed of actual lightning (even at the minimum speed of lightning).

We would need to actually measure the speed of said magical lightning in question, as the speed of magical lightning in fiction tend to vary in different media.
@Lina

In at least a few cases, lightning dodging/blocking/etc. seems to be something that's supposed to be an impressive feat, so perhaps depending on what sort of purpose the feat was thrown in for, the speed could be on par with normal lightning, or it could not. In cases outside of shock value, what you said about measuring the speed of the magical lightning instead of just assuming it's the speed of natural lightning is something I can agree completely on.

CinCameron20 said:
@Sheev - man-made devices seem to only have about Hypersonic+ speeds for electricity, as shown on Lina's page.

But since Gael's bossfight utilizes real lightning, we could scale from that.

In the case of the Nameless King, that's probably going to be considered Man-made since it came from the King's swordspear, but I consider it real lightning due to it being sent into the clouds before coming down.
@Cameron

I wouldn't say the lightning in Gael's boss fight is natural, as it seems to be called down by the skull-like aura that comes off of Gael. But then again, there's a lightning storm occurring in the background during that fight if I recall correctly, so the aura could just be attracting lightning.

I wouldn't say Nameless King's lightning is natural, it doesn't appear to be the right color (the conditions don't seem to be right for natural lightning to appear a yellow-orange/gold color), and it's being visibly summoned by the Nameless King through his weapon, and not through natural formation

@Sheev - The second phase, which was the awakening of the Dark soul's power was potent enough to affect the environment, and start up a lightning storm. The Lightning is considered true lightning since it is cloud-to-ground, and it does not seem as though Gael has any control over it, since it can damage him too (For like 1 damage, though).

Perhaps you guys should really consider stop talking about any other forms of lightning and talk about who actually scales to the lighting scenario that I posted?

I guess Soul of Cinder would scale to it(since it fights the ashen one in his/her's prime), so with the other bosses in The Ringed City.

Soul of Cinder and the Ashen One are obvious cases. They're both the absolute top guys of the verse, as of now. Gael scales as well, no need to explain that.

The Nameless King should scale, considering that he's one of the most powerful bosses there. Other Lords of Cinder should scale as well.

Onion knight should scale as well then I guess, since he can fight with Yhorn The Giant on equal fotting, same with the other summoned characters who help you with the Lords of Cinder

If there are any other feats in Dark Souls that are of any significance to the scaling (other than the lightning feat), they can also be calculated.

Does anyone in Dark Souls dodge/move at comparable speeds to lightning in a cutscene?

I think the only time that we see lightning in a cutscene is Gwyn throwing lightning spears at the everlasting dragons(but that obviously doesn't count), Maybe it's possible to calculate the speed of soul stream using the same method used in the calc of the speed of the bolt traps in sens fortress.

Isn't the soul of cinder the combination of all the lords of cinder? So why is the soul of cinder a low 7-b when lord gwyn is a lord of cinder and also 7-b? I understand that it is hard to scale this verse but some of these articles make little sense.

Gwyn as a Lord of Cinder is Low 7-B. Not 7-B.

The Soul of Cinder holds the powers of all of the previous lords of cinder, but Gwyn is the most powerful of them. The Soul of Cinder is already listed as being potentially much higher than Low 7-B.

Weren't there a few blog posts and even some calculations that have already placed the Dark Souls characters at Country range (For those on the level of Everlasting Dragons), Large Planet level (For Lords of Cinder) and Star level? (For the Ashen One and Soul of Cinder)

I would appreciate if all staff members participating in this thread would help it come to a conclusion.

Well, The Everlasting actually had a much bigger revision within this thread but it got sidetracked by the speed feat stuff.

Well, it has been so long that I do not remember this thread anymore, but I will inform The Everlasting.

Well, I think that he mentioned that he was preparing a revision in another thread.

Back