• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Popular series that you just don't get.

So first of all this is just my opinion so no need to get pissed off. I am sure all of us have watched popular shows that were recommemended to us by our friends or someone else. Among those shows there is this insanely popular show that you don't just get why its so popular you just found it average ooor were unimperessed by it. So here are some shows which I personally found average or unimpressive....

In no particular order.

1) Death Note: One of the most famous anime of all time. When I started watching this show I got hooked to it instantly the background music the direction the voice acting all of it was perfect....Till the first few episodes or just almost the first half of the series. After L's death this series became average pretty fast. Also now that I think about it Light was very annoying as a protagonist probably the most emoest main character that I know of. Everyone talks about the mature tone of death note which animes these days lack personally I do not find anything that mature about this series D.N is probably not even in my top 15 shows anyway if you want to watch something better watch Monster its bloody brilliant.

2) Code Geass: Opposite of Death note the first half was boring and the second half was good. Found it to be average not in my top 15.

3) Samurai champloo: Dropped this series halfway. I personally found it to be boring....

4) Hellsing: Dropped this series halfway. Not my type of series I guess.

5) Sword Art Online: I somehow finished the first season but I dropped the second season midways. Very very cliche series with bad protagonist (Kirito) despite having an excellent voice actor.

6) Erased: Was extremely good the first few episodes then things went downhill very fast (I still don't know how he got that power.) If you want someting infinitely better watch Steins;Gate.

7) Psycho Pass: The first season was extremely brilliant with great character development, psychological moments aswell as having one of my favourite villain of all time.....Then season 2 came and the series became crap not even the movie could save it....

8) Bleach: Literally clinging on Aizen's popularity.

9) Gintama: I could not get past even 5 episodes. Also WTH is it so damn popular??

inb4 all the siscon and monster girls animu and mango

But yeah, you have to admit the A/M industry has been going on for a very long time, so cliche storms are unavoidable. And not to mention anime that sets the standards for average anime nowadays, like IS clones with a protagonist going to an all-girl school because he has some powers, Oreimo clones with siscon, reincarnating in an RPG-ish world, and so on.

That said, you can only judge when you watch it. Back then I saw profiles for KlK, TTGL and JoJo and thought "How silly, I'm not gonna watch those". It all changed now

Fairy Tail for me. I love the idea and the setting of the series and I really enjoyed the first few episodes, but I just sorta lost all interest at episode 11. Not really sure why but I just didn't want to continue the series.

Tairy Fail

For the love of me, I don't understand what the hell they're supposed to be aiming for or what they're to do at all. Also, it's littered with too much unecessary fanservice, too much nakama powerups, too much half-assed fights and Natsu didn't end up with Lisanna the last time I checked.

Oh, and Rave Master > Fairy Tail imo.

Desu Note

I just couldn't seem to enjoy it. Nothing really specific.

Detergent

Bleach was interesting for me until Ichigo vs Byakuya, in a fight for Rukia's freedom. That was extremely early into the franchise iirc, but I just couldn't get myself to get into it more.

hmm..

Faily Tail for reasons above

Madoka Magica; I lost a bet and had to watch this with a friend, guessed the entire ending plot two or three episodes in. Could not find myself to care for anything that was happening. maybe because its a moe loli show but I dunno.

Sword Art Online: Not sure what the hype was about this show, I found it slightly above average for a few episodes, maybe upto 6, and then every chick hes ever met wants to bang him,Kirito becomes undefeatable to nigh everything, then pretends to get married? I think? and adopts that annoying AI fairy. Oh and the BDSM Softcore rape and incest in the second part.

Soul Eater: No idea why this show gets the hype that it does, It was decent but nothing spectacular

Monogatari Series: All talk, so much talking that you have to pause each second of episode to read the subs they talk so much that you can't even watch the main screen for 1 sec. Dropped at episode 3.

There is more, but lazy to explain..

Sword Art Online: I found the series average, pretty standard LN fare. Not as bad as some people had told me it would be. But I definitely don't see why it's that popular.

Akame ga Kill: Tried to read it, had some nice fights so I kept going, but I got tired of it using shock value to draw readers in. Don't get me wrong, shock value is as a valid tool as anything else...in moderation. Kind of becomes too edgy and ridiculous when you do it so many times, it made me stop caring about the characters. I think I dropped it when the shapeshifting spy that joined the group as reinforcements was killed.

So Fairy Tail is disliked for what many other shonens do? Fairy Tail was made to be light-hearted and pretty much something you can sit and enjoy.....And fanservice is all over fiction as well as "Nakama Power ups..." Also not everything needs a aim to be interesting. They just have story arcs to give us something interesting to watch...But whatever...

Anyway.

One Piece: Never liked it. Gets loved for doing the same stuff Fairy Tail does....Plus other than Zoro, none of the characters are really interesting to me. Also has kinda overstayed its welcome.

Kingdom Hearts: The game was boring the character aren't interesting imo. Also the fusion of Disney and Final Fantasy does not role well with me.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
So Fairy Tail is disliked for what amny other shonens do?
I think the reason is that FT was unfortunately a late comer. By the time FT was introduced people were already tired of the shounen formula. Same case can be said for harem, hence the hate. That's why I prefer comedy, as they are often very unpredictable.

Anyway, I see a lot of hate for FT and SAO here. Should I consider myself lucky I never considered reading SAO LN?

Dragonmasterxyz said:
So Fairy Tail is disliked for what many other shonens do?
Well, if one gives you a bunch of bananas, and most of those bananas have boobs and the remaining are consistently successful in stopping you from eating one, you'd have a bad time.

Many shounens have fanservice, FT has too much for me to enjoy.

Many shounens use the power of love or power of friendship for the biggest of battles, FT uses it willy-nilly.

Etc.

Gemmysaur said:
Many shounens have fanservice, FT has too much for me to enjoy.
Gotta admit though, One Piece is right after FT in term of fan-service, but the same faces and impossible hourglass figures on female characters push fan-service really down low in the list of things OP is known for. I mean, most currently Nami looked for her weapon in her cleavage, what...

Fairy tail- focused so much on fanservice that I couldn't watch any more. It wasn't awful, but I couldn't continue it.

Naruto- no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get into Naruto. I tried watching it 3 times and I didn't like it all 3 times. The main cast was annoying and just got you angry all the time, voice acting was decent for majority of the characters. Not the worst anime I've watched, but just not for me.

One piece is enjoyable but could join the list if the arcs continue to become less entertaining as they currently are

I use to read FT with my brother, not anymore as it not fun to read ecchi stuff with your close relative, it feels weird ~_~ but currently I have develop about 95% immunity to FT nakama shenanigans.

Well, OP does use fanservice better than FT in that a lot of the time (this is only me reading OP in passing and am not an avid reader so be nice), OP uses it for fun or has a point to it even if unexplained while FT doesn't even use it at all. It's just there, boobs and butts 24/7. It's like magical Prison School with bad art.

Nami is always dressed the way she is and it's reasonable in that she's a pirate on a big-ass boat sailing the seas. I don't remember others but iirc, Robin dresses quite normally. That, and as you said, the artstyle of OP tones it down considerably.

Lucy being flung to the air naked, Erza getting a nude torture shot iirc, Natsu groping, Gray randomly stripping because teacher does it too, Juvia stripping because Gray, and now, even Wendy, the resident loli (iirc) now wears skimpy clothing too is just a bit much.

That's not even getting into the whole striptease armors Erza wears. It's about one step away from air humping like that one recent anime that does it to power up.

Sorry for the rant.

"Lucy hurry up and strip!" FT latest chapter...

http://********.me/manga/fairy_tail/vTBD/c512/18.html

-BANLK- said:
"Lucy hurry up and strip!" FT latest chapter...

http://********.me/manga/fairy_tail/vTBD/c512/18.html
guys HANDS ABOVE THE TABLE XD

Dragon Ball: Seriously why? Outside of nostalgia I don't see why it gets the attention it has right now. I mean it was decent/good in its time, but the extremely archetypal Shonen formula today doesn't work as well, it SHOULDN'T work as well.

HST: Classical shonen action without much change to the formula, much like DBZ honestly. Again like DB, doesn't seem bad, but way too overrated for their current level of popularity.

Warning, rant incoming, especially the last part. Also, this is purely my opinion, so please, PLEASE be civil. I may bash your anime, but I will never bash others for liking them. So, without further ado, enjoy.

K-on! - Okay, maybe I'm being unfair because I don't like yuri/shoujo-ai context filled anime, but whatever. I just find it boring, along with the other moe shows. It just... doesn't click with me. I do however love slice-of-life anime with romance in it. Pretty hypocritical, huh?

One Piece - Zoro's cool and so badass, but that is pretty much it. Sorry, One Piece fans...

Dragon Ball - Pretty much what Saikou said. Don't get me wrong, I respect it as a gateway anime all those years ago, but now... Meh. At least Goku is Universe level now! :D

Fairy Tail - Now I don't hate it, in fact I used to love it. Something happened to the writing along the way, and I eventually lost interest in it. However, I still follow the manga. Huh, how hypocritical again.

The Asterisk War - I am a civil person, and I respect people if they enjoy this show. But no offense, for me at least, its CRAP.

Last but DEFINITELY not the least...

PRISMA ILLYA - Okay, so maybe the STORY is interesting. Maybe the CHARACTERS have amazing character development in later episodes. Maybe the ACTION SCENES are amazing. And of course, Mirou is a total BAMF. But for me, that is not enough for me to recognize it as a Fate/series addition. I just... really, REALLY don't like this anime. The underage yuri is... ugh. No, just no. I love the Fate/series, but this? This will forever be hated by me. Sorry, fans of Prisma Illya, but this series is just too much for me to handle. The moment those "scenes" came, I just closed my tablet, and never bothered watching again. I might be missing out on cool Fate stuff by rejecting this one, but I'm fine.

Am I sensitive to that thing? Okay, maybe. Am I close minded? No, but seriously. Even if I was a straight dude, I would avoid that kind of thing. And it has more than TWO seasons. Why can't D-Frag! have a second season, but this one has more than two? Oh well. I'll just wait for Heaven's Feel.

So, no hard feelings? Good. Now look at kitty pictures to lighten up your mood if you felt bad reading my rant. Have a good day everyone! :)

ShinyMagicalGirl said:
K-on! -
yuri/shoujo-ai context filled anime
K-On? Yuri? It's slice-of-life moe though, just saying.

ShinyMagicalGirl said:
The Asterisk War - I am a civil person, and I respect people if they enjoy this show. But no offense, for me at least, its CRAP.
It is crap, but at least it's enjoyable crap. You know, like that japanese show you find on youtube that deals with throwing around human excrements and what not. You know it's weird af but you watch it anyway.

ShinyMagicalGirl said:
PRISMA ILLYA
Mirou is a total BAMF.
Prisma Illya only became appealing once it passed it's jailbait fanservice and went into Mirou's story. It then stopped being some sort of... whatever it is and became Heaven's Feel the manga. Which is nice.

ShinyMagicalGirl said:
Why can't D-Frag! have a second season
Yes please.

Gemmysaur said:
Yes please.
Finally, I thought I was the only one who loved that cute series! Kenji is so cool yet so distressed, and Roka is just too cute. I personally ship Roka and Kenji, but Funabori is a nice choice too. Takao? Meh. Also, my profile pic shows an anime that DESPERATELY needs a second season. Also the two characters are also my absolute OTP. :D

Gemmysaur said:
K-On? Yuri? It's slice-of-life moe though, just saying.
Well yuri CONTEXT. There's a lot of those. You know, A channel, Hello Kiniro, New Game, Sound Euphonium... Yet they don't actually go for the actual relationship. So shoujo-ai bait is the right term. Personally I don't like them, except maybe Long Riders? But the shoujo-ai context there is close to non existent. Then again true Yuri is different, so... My bad.

ShinyMagicalGirl said:
Finally, I thought I was the only one who loved that cute series! Kenji is so cool yet so distressed, and Roka is just too cute. I personally ship Roka and Kenji, but Funabori is a nice choice too. Takao? Meh. Also, my profile pic shows an anime that DESPERATELY needs a second season. Also the two characters are also my absolute OTP. :D
FUNABORI INTENSIFIES

Yeah, I miss Rokka and her antics. I personally favor Funabori though. The way she just goes "Funabori intensifies" is hngggg.

Rokka is good too, and Takao is okay. I'd rank imouto and her family's hair above them though.

ShinyMagicalGirl said:
Well yuri CONTEXT. There's a lot of those. You know, A channel, Hello Kiniro, New Game, Sound Euphonium... Yet they don't actually go for the actual relationship. So shoujo-ai bait is the right term. Personally I don't like them, except maybe Long Riders? But the shoujo-ai context there is close to non existent. Then again true Yuri is different, so... My bad.
I never really felt any yuri vibes in K-On, but maybe that's just me. I can't say anything for the others sans SEuph though since I didn't watch those. SEuph though is just outright yuri bait. Funny how the source material wasn't and that a dude was supposed to have more screen time than Reina.

I'm ok.

I'm not really someone who watch the popular things, and mostly of the series that i saw I enjoyed them, so, maybe I just have luck choosing

AidenBrooks999 said:
I'm ok.
I'm not really someone who watch the popular things, and mostly of the series that i saw I enjoyed them, so, maybe I just have luck choosing
Lucky bastard

why hello there, D-Frag! fans :) So glad I'm not the only one who likes the series. And like I said, shounen and harem nowadays are cliche, generic and predictable, to the point you can guess the outcome of a scenario that just starts because you have seen them in those popular series. That's why comedies like D-Frag! are more to my taste, as they are unpredictable and you find a laugh when you didn't see that coming (Building level Kenji's hair because the hair > meteor that destroyed Roka's house, anyone?)

To be fair, Fairy Tail actually had a coherent plot and actually logical fights up through Edolas (i.e. Erza methodically deconstructing the mechanics of Midnight's Magic which dominated her and Jellal previously before whipping out a not-so implausible armor from her magic closet), after that it sort of fell to fanservice and base pandering.

As stated above, I never could get into Death Note and Sword Art Online had limited appeal for me. I don't like villainous MCs that much (which is why I don't particularly like Death Note). I also don't like the fact that said MC shares his English voice actor with the lead from one of my favorite video game series ever. Kirito was too meh to hold my attention, but SAO is actually pretty good when Kirito is out of the story (i.e. Mother's Rosario arc).

The Asterisk War competed for its timeslot with Chivalry of a Failed Knight, but I found Ikki to be a much more likable main character overall.

Sword art online for reasons above.

One punch man: sorry for those that like the series, but I find it to be mediocre at best, especially with the whole concept of saitama beating everyone with one punch, which wasn't my cup of tea. The comedy in the series was sub par at best to me.

KamiYasha said:
As someone who has been immersed in the Nasuverse couldn't agree more with that.
Whew, I thought I was the only who didn't like it. I also love Nasuverse haha.

Byakushiki Setsura said:
why hello there, D-Frag! fans :) So glad I'm not the only one who likes the series. And like I said, shounen and harem nowadays are cliche, generic and predictable, to the point you can guess the outcome of a scenario that just starts because you have seen them in those popular series. That's why comedies like D-Frag! are more to my taste, as they are unpredictable and you find a laugh when you didn't see that coming (Building level Kenji's hair because the hair > meteor that destroyed Roka's house, anyone?)
WHOA, I never noticed that Kenji is possibly Building level, haha. Maybe he should fight Tsugumi from Nisekoi, seeing as she's also a building level slice of life character, haha! I also love KonoBiju, Ore Monogatari, Nichijou, Gekkan Shoujo and Tanaka-kun is always listless. :)

Reppuzan said:
I also hate overly depressing series, so things like Gakkou Gurashi, Gantz, and Psycho-Pass are immediately off my list.
Overly depressing anime? Better not watch Re:Zero and Madoka Magica then. Those are heartbreaking...

Back