• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokémon Trainer Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark649 said:
In several threads it was decided that the human physical key should be removed for the profiles since its not that important and wastes stamina to add one for every trainer profile, later i will give my opinion about the Pokémon and Trainers scaling.
This. Why are we worrying about Trainer feats when we do not have the human stats on the file. That was a major point of the format revision in the first place.

I think the Rainbow Counterpart should be keys rather than their own pages, i'd like to mention that Black White 2 Giovanni is stronger than Rainbow Giovanni, sans for Mewtwo of course.

Khalryko said:
90% of the Trainer Profiles comes from there Pokemon. If the trainers have any feats such as Throwing logs, or something that actually involves them doing stuff, then fair enough. I just find it a bit odd.
Theirs more to it then just stats. Theirs also strategy, personality, intelligence and style.

I honestly don't mind trainers having their own stats, they have their own set of impressive feats. Giovanni tanked an explosion calculated at 8-A to the face without any injury, Ash has a ton of Wall level feats and James fodderized Ash with a single hand and one of the Gym Leaders backhanded an Aura Sphere from Lucario.

Ash can consistently take attacks from pokémon. Too many examples for it to be an outlier. Lol. I'm half trolling, half serious.

I am very much against trainers having their own stats, I feel that we simply have to place their strategies and such in their intellect sections and then list that they can use healing or stat buff items. Everything else seems very much like a waste.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I am very much against trainers having their own stats, I feel that we simply have to place their strategies and such in their intellect sections and then list that they can use healing or stat buff items.
what about reacting to the pokemons moving?

That's common sense. Of course they can react to how fast their Pokemon moves. They couldn't use said Pokemon otherwise.

What I don't get is why are we assigning these characters stats based upon what other separate entities are doing? When a Pikachu is throwing like, a building level strike, that's not Ash throwing a building level strike. That's Pikachu doing that.

From the same site that pretty much laughed off the idea of giving Goku a 2-C via Zeno Button, I don't get why this is sliding.

"The Pokemon will always fight for the trainers but Zeno might not always fight for Goku"

How does that change the point that, just like it's silly to rate Goku as 2-C because he could get a 2-C to fight for him, it's silly to rate Ash on all these high levels because he can get a pokemon to fight for him?

"The trainers never fight on their own/don't have any notable feats on their own"

That's irrelevant. This is a character indexing site. We index the abilities of a character. Not scale them based entirely on what someone else is doing. Even if getting someone else to do something for them is their entire fighting style. If I can get my world class powerlifter friend to bench press 1000lbs for me, would it be sensible for me to go around telling people I myself can bench press 1000lbs? Even if I were to never lift anything without my friend's help? Also Ash, Giovanni and others have multiple superhuman feats on their own.

If we want to rate these trainers as Tier ___ via summoning a pokemon, even though we adamantly refused to do this for Goku, then fine. However I think rating Ash's own striking strength and Ash's own durability on the level of a pokemon's he's getting to fight for him is a bit silly.

But if you want to not do this, do what you will. However, this would require an entirely different discussion as it effects more than just Pokemon.

"The Trainers really never get involved in the fight unless they use healing items or such."

Read my previous post. The trainers never fighting is irrelevant to my point. Ash doesn't have building level striking strength. His pokemon that he can get to punch someone for him does. Rating Ash like that is about as weird as again me claiming I can bench press 1000lbs cause I can get my friend to do that for me.

Ash's tier can have a "___ via summoning pokemon" but again I still don't want to base his Striking Strength and Durability based purely upon what other peoples' feats her.

I don't agree with those other verses doing this either.

Exactly what Dragon said. Heck the concept of a trainer is that a pokemon is tied with their trainers character, its what MAKES them a trainer at all. Its no different than said Digimon Tamers, Duelists, Celestial Spirits, etc.

Zen'o isn't anything like that though. He has nothing to do with Gokus character, him fighting, or anything, the button is just a thing for Goku to call Zen'o when he's in a troubling pinch. The trainers and stuff specifically use pokemon for such battles and thats the way the verse works, for Goku it isnt the same thing.

That's why I removed that part from my reply. :p

Well make a separate thread for it. As this effect more than one verse.

Plus, these are trainer specific pokemon we are talking about, who fight based on the commands, strategies, and intelligence of their trainers, not on their own like wild pokemon do.

I'm really tight with my homie who can bench press 1000lbs. Some might even say we've got a close connection together and that some of my personality derives from my relationship with him. Therefore, when he bench presses 1000lbs for me, this is me also bench pressing 1000lbs.

No. No matter how you slice this, Ash isn't throwing a building level punch. Pikachu is. And how is Goku not being that close with Zeno change the general idea that just like we shouldn't rate Goku's stats based upon what he can get someone else to do for him, we shouldn't rate Ash based upon what someone else can do for him?

Plus I already said I'd be willing to compromise with making Ash's tier ___ via pokemon summons. But I still don't like scaling things like Striking Strength and Durability to what his pokemon do.

Except the Ash page is a reflection of his Pokemon Team, not Ash himself. Ash himself doesn't fight, his Pokemon does. As such his file is not representing Ash Ketchum, it's reflecting the team of Ash Ketchum.

If Ash's page is a page for all the members of the entire pokemon team and not just Ash Ketchum himself then I'm fine with the profiles as they are. However that should be a bit better specified.

Yeah, these files reflect the team as a whole. Not the Human character's feats. Only thing that is important about the Trainer (Tamer for Digimon) is what ways they can support said team that is fighting. The Tiering is for the Pokemon only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back