• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"Pokémon Legends: Arceus" Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

I honestly dislike the idea of humans being comparable at all to pokemon, even in durability, at least without tech, it just sounds stupid conceptually speaking, but i can't deny the games are pushing that idea quite a lot

Honestly the idea’s been around for a while. I’ve been playing Silver recently, and even in that game, they mention that Chuck spars with his Poliwrath and Primeape.

My friends who got it, who are aware of the previous titles problems and controversis and memes, pretty much agree that the gameplay is very worth it and the graphics afen't a experience killer

I am considering buying the game. I heard that despite low end graphics the game is super fun.
Can confirm. The only gripes I have with it are the graphics (which I find to be the least important part of a video game anyway), and that it can be a little grindy at times.
But it's the most fun I've had with a Pokemon game since Emerald!

Can confirm. The only gripes I have with it are the graphics (which I find to be the least important part of a video game anyway), and that it can be a little grindy at times.
But it's the most fun I've had with a Pokemon game since Emerald!
Well people better be prepared that this will be more like Pokémon-themed Breath of the Wild + Monster Hunter rather than traditional Pokémon battles. But otherwise we have a great match of BOTW+MH 2 in 1 with a Pokémon theme.

I am curious how does the legend plate work.
Only 1 user has contributed to the page so far, but....

"When used on Arceus, the Legend Plate grants it ability to change type when using Judgment, based to the opponent's type. Specifically, it will pick a type that the target is weak to, prioritizing double weakness for dual-types.

The Legend Plate also has a secondary priority of picking types according to defensive matchup against the target's types. For example against a Rock/Ground it will pick Grass as it is effective against both its types and resists its Ground type, unlike Water. If multiple types are valid, such as against a pure Fighting-type, it will pick at random.

Due to the way the Legend Plate operates, it will never turn Arceus to a Normal type (as nothing is weak to it). Additionally, none of the Pokémon that would result in it making Arceus a Dragon type are present in Pokémon Legends: Arceus."

I have no idea what the last bit means, since there are pure Dragon types in Hisui: Goomy. However, the secondary prioritization of defensive typing might mean Arceus would pick Fairy, & nothing is double weak to Dragon, so.... Would it just never roll Dragon type?

Disappointing that the Legend Plate apparently doesn't change the holder's type when being attacked, too.

Only 1 user has contributed to the page so far, but....

"When used on Arceus, the Legend Plate grants it ability to change type when using Judgment, based to the opponent's type. Specifically, it will pick a type that the target is weak to, prioritizing double weakness for dual-types.

The Legend Plate also has a secondary priority of picking types according to defensive matchup against the target's types. For example against a Rock/Ground it will pick Grass as it is effective against both its types and resists its Ground type, unlike Water. If multiple types are valid, such as against a pure Fighting-type, it will pick at random.

Due to the way the Legend Plate operates, it will never turn Arceus to a Normal type (as nothing is weak to it). Additionally, none of the Pokémon that would result in it making Arceus a Dragon type are present in Pokémon Legends: Arceus."

I have no idea what the last bit means, since there are pure Dragon types in Hisui: Goomy. However, the secondary prioritization of defensive typing might mean Arceus would pick Fairy, & nothing is double weak to Dragon, so.... Would it just never roll Dragon type?

Disappointing that the Legend Plate apparently doesn't change the holder's type when being attacked, too.
That sounds overpowered in Competitive Battles.

That sounds overpowered in Competitive Battles.
I've got good news & bad news.

The good news is that it isn't overpowered in Competitive Battles.
The bad news is that it isn't overpowered in Competitive Battles, because Pokemon Legends: Arceus doesn't support Multiplayer Battles yet.

Maybe in the future, other games will support its use in PVP. But then again, it might also get a box legendary clause in VGC, if Arceus isn't banned in VGC already, & as for Smogon, Arceus is already Ubers there. But yes, Mega Rayquaza might have a new contender for "strongest thing in Anything Goes Tier" if they bring PL:A Arceus into Smogon's simulators.

Still chooses best resistance to stab so not to shabby.
Not too shabby is an understatement. Having priority for both is freaking insane. Don’t see it being that broken for anything goes (but who knows), but it is definitely broken enough for arceus to be top Uber. Literally a stab and weakness against anything.

I've got good news & bad news.

The good news is that it isn't overpowered in Competitive Battles.
The bad news is that it isn't overpowered in Competitive Battles, because Pokemon Legends: Arceus doesn't support Multiplayer Battles yet.
Okay that made me chuckle-
Maybe in the future, other games will support its use in PVP. But then again, it might also get a box legendary clause in VGC, if Arceus isn't banned in VGC already, & as for Smogon, Arceus is already Ubers there. But yes, Mega Rayquaza might have a new contender for "strongest thing in Anything Goes Tier" if they bring PL:A Arceus into Smogon's simulators.
Oh, I meant Smogon, yes. I am aware that it's not possible to have multiplayer battles in the 1800s-

Not too shabby is an understatement. Having priority for both is freaking insane. Don’t see it being that broken for anything goes (but who knows), but it is definitely broken enough for arceus to be top Uber. Literally a stab and weakness against anything.
Speed EV'd Arceus speedblitzes a good chunk of the tier, so if he gets countered, he can just go "Nope, Judgement" and avoid a super effective hit.

Yes, you can predict it sure, but depending on the type, you might be subjected to RNG as for what type Arceus will roll.

I mean it can’t use held items which was a main problem with mega ray
Didn’t stop crowned Zacian from making it into anything goes. Not holding an item isn’t a problem as long as the stat spread and ability is good enough. The ability the plate might have if integrated into competitive is insane. Arceus is already very bulky With his 120 base stats for HP and defenses. With a speed of 120, there isn’t many who can outspeed it, and as soon as he attacks, the plate will automatically search for the best type offensively and defensively. The defensive part is what makes it better than I previously thought.

don’t see it as AG myself, but definitely one of the last best of ubers.!

Speed EV'd Arceus speedblitzes a good chunk of the tier, so if he gets countered, he can just go "Nope, Judgement" and avoid a super effective hit.

Yes, you can predict it sure, but depending on the type, you might be subjected to RNG as for what type Arceus will roll.
Yeah to the second part. Apperantly there are situations where many types meet the criteria, and it’s random.

but imagine having all pokemon compensate for only arceus. That’s a reason some Pokémon’s get banned in n the first place. Mega ray had his checks, but they were so few, and he was so dominant, that he went up to a new tier.

Mega Rayquaza could use held items, & like Arceus, was never taking 4x damage, for its own reasons. It was also faster, & for what its worth, didn't it have access to some very high base power moves? Like V-Create? I think Dragon Ascent was higher than 100 BP, too. Sure, it's definitely not the perfect coverage Arceus has, but....

Can't the Legends Plate's effects be substituted with good coverage & prediction? If the main effect is to be as super-effective as possible every turn (& also Resistant, type chart allowing.), then can't that be done with good moveset building & prediction?

Mega Rayquaza also negated weather, & was faster than Arceus, with higher offenses, too, wasn't it?

& when attacking Arceus, there's a good chance you can predict what type it'll be, to hit it for Super-Effective; A lot, if not most Pokemon carry coverage for their weaknesses, don't they?
(Also, there aren't that many 4x weak Pokemon in Ubers/AG, AFAIK. There's what, Hoopa & Zygarde?)

I'm not sure Legends Plate Arceus will break the tier. (Also, what if, like the other plates, the Legends Plates gives a visual distinction that tells foes you're running it?)

Mega Rayquaza could use held items, & like Arceus, was never taking 4x damage, for its own reasons. It was also faster, & for what its worth, didn't it have access to some very high base power moves? Like V-Create? I think Dragon Ascent was higher than 100 BP, too. Sure, it's definitely not the perfect coverage Arceus has, but....

Can't the Legends Plate's effects be substituted with good coverage & prediction? If the main effect is to be as super-effective as possible every turn (& also Resistant, type chart allowing.), then can't that be done with good moveset building & prediction?

Mega Rayquaza also negated weather, & was faster than Arceus, with higher offenses, too, wasn't it?

& when attacking Arceus, there's a good chance you can predict what type it'll be, to hit it for Super-Effective; A lot, if not most Pokemon carry coverage for their weaknesses, don't they?
(Also, there aren't that many 4x weak Pokemon in Ubers/AG, AFAIK. There's what, Hoopa & Zygarde?)

I'm not sure Legends Plate Arceus will break the tier. (Also, what if, like the other plates, the Legends Plates gives a visual distinction that tells foes you're running it?)
Uhhhhh ... You'd have to have an entire team just to deal with one Origin Arceus

Holding items mean nothing when Crowned Zacian is in anything goes, and is considered better by many. Mega rayquaza isn’t faster, he is slower. 4x weaknesses don’t mean much because they are rare in the first place. And arceus has the perfect coverage with its item. It’s completely flawless when attacking.
Answered above, and no matter what you try to predict, the super effective hit will come.
Stronger, but slower and less bulky. Ability was talked about above.
irrelevant since predicting arceus is more of a hassle than predicting the type of other Pokémon... since they don’t change.
Also, mega rayquaza could be stopped . He wasn’t unbeatable in ubers, he was just way too dominant for the meta. A whole lot of team building needed to be done to get him out, which is what you are pretty much doing for legends plate arceus.

Again, I don’t see arceus as Anything goes yet, mostly cause I have no idea how good it does in battle With it. But I think it’ll be closer to a primal Groudon

Arceus would also have to use judgment a low pp move then again it would often get one shots arceus is already pretty good in Uber it’s offensive and direct defensive power are better but consistent stab on other moves and certain minor defensive boons are lost.

Honestly, I think Gamefreak should have gotten even crazier with the Legend Plate. It's an item meant for God. It's supposed to be unreasonably busted! Just make it break everything. Have it switch type to deal with incoming moves as well!

Honestly, I think Gamefreak should have gotten even crazier with the Legend Plate. It's an item meant for God. It's supposed to be unreasonably busted! Just make it break everything. Have it switch type to deal with incoming moves as well!
The fact they didn't go crazy gives me hope that Legend Plate Arceus will be present in the competitive scene, or at least present in future games.

The fact they didn't go crazy gives me hope that Legend Plate Arceus will be present in the competitive scene, or at least present in future games.
I mean, fair enough. Though, at least in PL:A it's very much an "I Win" button. Then again, it doesn't have access to a competitive scene.

On an unrelated note... What region would you guys most love to see a future Pokemon: Legends game take place in? For me, I'd love one set in Kalos. I can already imagine the weirdo stereotypical cult worshipping Yveltal.

than predicting the type of other Pokémon... since they don’t change.

Cinderace being banned from OU:
cry-about-it-pokemon.gif

I mean, fair enough. Though, at least in PL:A it's very much an "I Win" button. Then again, it doesn't have access to a competitive scene.
Different damage formula, let's not take any of it at face value, unless GameFreak decides to keep this Agile/Strong Style+Damage Formula for future games, which DOESN'T work for multiplayer.

My Level 35 mon getting mollywhopped by a bunch of Level 12s
On an unrelated note... What region would you guys most love to see a future Pokemon: Legends game take place in? For me, I'd love one set in Kalos. I can already imagine the weirdo stereotypical cult worshipping Yveltal.
New region based on a different culture, but now, open world. I would say "my country", but that's too biased.

Mega rayquaza isn’t faster, he is slower.
Ah, my mistake, I hadn't looked at Rayquaza's statline in a while.
And arceus has the perfect coverage with its item. It’s completely flawless when attacking.

Answered above, and no matter what you try to predict, the super effective hit will come.
I think you misunderstood. I was talking about from the perspective of Arceus's/the player(s) using Arceus.
I'm asking: Is an item to guarantee you're always Super-Effective worth it when you can achieve the same effect, or very close to it with good coverage & prediction? Sure, the Legend Plate GUARANTEES being Super-Effective, but I'd assume holding a different item could offer benefits that, when combined with just predicting & using good coverage, may outweigh the benefit to Arceus/the player using it, of being able to have Arceus use a Super-Effective Judgement every turn.
Canada, but....
New region based on a different culture, but now, open world. I would say "my country", but that's too biased.
Like I interpret GodlyCharmander as being, I feel a bit awkward so readily wishing it to be my own country.

Maybe some other northern region, like Iceland, Sweden or Russia?

Perhaps an original region, deliberately unlike any culture on Earth?

And if we limit my question to regions we already know of?
Kalos might be interesting, if only to see the war.
I'm unsure if Galar has anything interesting in its region's history, & Alola already seems to have its history well-integrated into what we experience of the region.
Unova might be interesting, to see what it was like.
Maybe Orre, if we went into its pre-desertification past.
I'd assume there might be interesting stuff in the first four regions, too, but I'm unsure what. What parts of those regions have a history that'd be interesting to explore? Not that I deny they do, just unsure which.

I guess Johto has its towers before they were destroyed, but that's not much of the region.

I think you misunderstood. I was talking about from the perspective of Arceus's/the player(s) using Arceus.
I'm asking: Is an item to guarantee you're always Super-Effective worth it when you can achieve the same effect, or very close to it with good coverage & prediction? Sure, the Legend Plate GUARANTEES being Super-Effective, but I'd assume holding a different item could offer benefits that, when combined with just predicting & using good coverage, may outweigh the benefit to Arceus/the player using it, of being able to have Arceus use a Super-Effective Judgement every turn.
yes, because the item doesn’t just guarantee a super effective move, it also tries to find the best defense based on the Pokémon’s typing. It takes both offense and defense.

also, stab. A mechanic that is life and death in a lot situations. Legends plate is pretty much the go to item for it.

Arceus would also have to use judgment a low pp move then again it would often get one shots arceus is already pretty good in Uber it’s offensive and direct defensive power are better but consistent stab on other moves and certain minor defensive boons are lost.
Competitive only has 3 Pokémon. Judgement has 10 pp (16 max). there will be 2 more Pokémon on your team. Arceus will be fine. I think the legends plate is as crazy as it can be without it being completely broken.

Back