• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Discussion Thread - Red & Blue arc

I know nothing about the generations pass generation 7

It's still absurd to think Pokemon like torkoal, shuckle, luvdisc and corsola should scale to dragonite.

How do we break it to them?

Anyways, I generally agree, the non-evolving pokemon are so very weird to work with. And I personally think the 'pokemon stages aren't comparable' rule is a bit restrictive and most of it feels like a side effect of splitting the canons which has a lot of other little things I'm not sure I agree with but that's neither here nor there

Scaling them all the fully evolved doesn't feel right, but the lack of pokedex entries to meet the new standard AND give them each unique scaling seems impossible too...I'm not sure what the best answer with a lot of them is anymore...

How do we break it to them?

Anyways, I generally agree, the non-evolving pokemon are so very weird to work with. And I personally think the 'pokemon stages aren't comparable' rule is a bit restrictive and most of it feels like a side effect of splitting the canons which has a lot of other little things I'm not sure I agree with but that's neither here nor there

Scaling them all the fully evolved doesn't feel right, but the lack of pokedex entries to meet the new standard AND give them each unique scaling seems impossible too...I'm not sure what the best answer with a lot of them is anymore...
I think it's better if we don't give profiles to those Pokemon and if we do, we should give them "unknown" or maybe, "unknown, but inferior to x (insert a Pokemon who is 100% superior to said Pokemon)"

It's better that way than giving ratings that just flatly doesn't make sense

I think it's better if we don't give profiles to those Pokemon and if we do, we should give them "unknown" or maybe, "unknown, but inferior to x (insert a Pokemon who is 100% superior to said Pokemon)"

It's better that way than giving ratings that just flatly doesn't make sense
It's a little too late for 'don't give them profiles', tons of them already do.

And much like us going back and forth on Unown, I really don't like the idea of Pokemon being 'Unknown' just because we don't know where in the scaling chain they are. I know the new standard is 'pokemon stages can't scale to each other', but...I'm having a hard time believing we can't give them an 'At least' based on either Baby pokemon who DO have feats, or maybe even weak first stages who have feats? It'd be...something?

but...I'm having a hard time believing we can't give them an 'At least' based on either Baby pokemon who DO have feats, or maybe even weak first stages who have feats? It'd be...something?
I 100% agree with this. It makes the most sense.
We can't give them "at least" from feats performed by baby Pokemon? Wth man

I 100% agree with this. It makes the most sense.
We can't give them "at least" from feats performed by baby Pokemon? Wth man
I'm moreso...unsure if we can. It feels right, but I'm not sure how strict our new standards are for pokemon profiles, especially post-canon split and the pokemon evolution revision, are going to be on that topic.

...It's kinda why I'm moreso here just to talk lore and occasionally drop my findings, and let other people deal with the profiles and scaling. I'm not sure what I'd even be satisfied with that would also meet our current standards, and the task is far too intimidating with my limited free time...

I'm moreso...unsure if we can. It feels right, but I'm not sure how strict our new standards are for pokemon profiles, especially post-canon split and the pokemon evolution revision, are going to be on that topic.

...It's kinda why I'm moreso here just to talk lore and occasionally drop my findings, and let other people deal with the profiles and scaling. I'm not sure what I'd even be satisfied with that would also meet our current standards, and the task is far too intimidating with my limited free time...
It's still an improvement since the scaling just doesn't make sense imo

I say we use the latest area with wild versions of the single stage Pokémon then, if the you should have a fully evolved starter by that point they scale to fully evolved Pokémon

Aren't we getting the pokedex entries from them?
The revision thread does say this:
  • Games
    • The Normal Timeline: This refers to all games that don't feature Mega Evolution. This would be RBY, GSC, RSE/FRLG, DPP/HGSS, BDSP, BW & BW2 and Pokemon Legends Arceus. PLA's status is likely to change as Hisuian mons have been spotted in Scarlet & Violet trailers.
    • The Mega Timeline: This refers to all games that feature Mega Evolution, namely X/Y, ORAS, SM & USUM. The main difference between them is that, should a pokemon have different feats for different games, they should have different keys. Not too important of a distinction but could be relevant.
      • Pokemon Sword and Shield and it's DLC does not feature Mega Evolution so it likely falls into the Normal Timeline.
    • Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee: Far too distinct from RBY and FRLG to fall into the same timeline as those games but doesn't fit the Mega Timeline's depictions of certain characters (namely Red), so these should have their own key.
    • Pokemon Go, Ranger Colosseum & XD: Due to their compatibility with the mainline games, PGO falls into the Mega Timeline while Colosseum, XD and Ranger fall into the Normal Timeline.
    • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Portrays Pokemon societies that are defiant to every other canon. Profiles based off these should always get a page due to the stark differences between it and the mainline games.
    • Pokemon Conquest, Masters & Pokken Tournament: Conquest and Tournament characters should get their own wholly unique pages (if any), as they are stated outright to be non-canon crossovers. Masters is a curious case, as though the overall game shouldn't be canon, trainer characterizations and details ARE. Therefore, Pokemon Masters is semi-canon to the Mega Timeline.
    • Everything Else: Gets it's own page if applicable.

I don’t think we actually accepted the blog the OP of extremely long revision thread just put it in the first post and we ignore it for the most part because trading.

I don't think a Pokemon having a feat in one timeline necessarily disproves the other feats in other timelines. They're still the same Pokemon.
It a different canons with different feats. We can't assume that the same feat still took place in a completely different canon.

It a different canons with different feats. We can't assume that the same feat still took place in a completely different canon.
They're still the same Pokemon regardless if they are from different canons/timelines though, so unless there are actual contradictions in the feats and narrative or if they are from completely different universe I don't see much of an issue to integrate one to another.

I mean we scale Bisharp, now the second in a third stage tree after SV, to fully evolved mons. So then what do we do with Kingambit? Is it magically above other fully evolved mons?

Ok guys, listen to me.

Charizard should've been a Fire/Dragon type Pokemon since Charizard is designed as a dragon and belongs to dragon egg group, and of course with the ability levitate and should be able to learn flying type moves.

Charizard line is really terrible in the early game and is not even remotely as good as the Venusaur and Blastoise line. It gets ok after the 3rd gym but that doesn't really matter since you'd have better team options at that time, even then it doesn't even get good in the late games it just gets ok.
To compensate for all the disadvantages in the early game and the Pokemon not being that good even in the late game, a dragon typing instead of flying would be better as it'd make the Pokemon better and it fits it better.

LIKE THAT WOULD BE SO ******* COOL BRO

Charizard line is really terrible in the early game and is not even remotely as good as the Venusaur and Blastoise line. It gets ok after the 3rd gym but that doesn't really matter since you'd have better team options at that time, even then it doesn't even get good in the late games it just gets ok.
Isn't Charizard like all over the Pokemon PvP meta?

It was only good when its Mega Evolutions existed. Other than that, it has next to no presence in doubles, and in singles it's only good in the lower tiers

Mega evolutions yeah, wdym by remake ?
The remakes required a timeline split I think
Ok guys, listen to me.

Charizard should've been a Fire/Dragon type Pokemon since Charizard is designed as a dragon and belongs to dragon egg group, and of course with the ability levitate and should be able to learn flying type moves.

To compensate for all the disadvantages in the early game and the Pokemon not being that good even in the late game, a dragon typing instead of flying would be better as it'd make the Pokemon better and it fits it better.

LIKE THAT WOULD BE SO ******* COOL BRO
Chairzard was good in gen 3 OU, the best in gen 4 NU, the best fire type in gen 5 NU. Game Freak should’ve never gave it wings.

Y was very good, X was average
Both were actually very good, but with different roles. Y was a nuke of a special sweeper (with Drought-boosted Fire Blast and one-turn Solar Beam), whereas X was a physical attacking monster that also lost some of its biggest weaknesses

Back