• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Discussion Thread - Red & Blue arc

Yeah, the starter Pikachu and Eevee and only including the orginal 151 Pokemon was a great thing. I wish they included sevi islands and have red as the mc with the rival being blue, the dynamic was perfect.
Red and Blue are in the game, actually. Leaf too. They have their manga starters.

Doing a blog profile for Seviper, would be nice if i got some help.

Smoke Manipulation (Able to use Haze, which creates a haze of black smoke that resets most kinds of Statistics Modifications.).
(In Pokemon gameplay, Haze only affects stat stage modifications; It doesn't affect, say, Focus Energy, nor stuff from Choice Scarf & the like. I'm also not sure if it affects boosts from Protosynthesis/Quark Drive, which are weird in their own ways. I don't remember if they use the stat boost animation either.)
Power Nullification (Gastro Acid negates some abilities.)

I'm not sure what Wring Out qualifies as (Its base power is higher the more HP the target has left.).
Venoshock (& maybe other moves?) might be Damage Boost, as it doubles in power if the target is already poisoned.

What tier do we scale single stage Pokemon like Seviper to?

Do we include TM, TR, Tutor, &/or Transfer moves?

Should Seviper's tongue be included for Natural Weaponry, since it learns Lick? Or is that too unnatural?

Smoke Manipulation (Able to use Haze, which creates a haze of black smoke that resets most kinds of Statistics Modifications.).
(In Pokemon gameplay, Haze only affects stat stage modifications; It doesn't affect, say, Focus Energy, nor stuff from Choice Scarf & the like. I'm also not sure if it affects boosts from Protosynthesis/Quark Drive, which are weird in their own ways. I don't remember if they use the stat boost animation either.)
Power Nullification (Gastro Acid negates some abilities.)

I'm not sure what Wring Out qualifies as (Its base power is higher the more HP the target has left.).
Venoshock (& maybe other moves?) might be Damage Boost, as it doubles in power if the target is already poisoned.

What tier do we scale single stage Pokemon like Seviper to?

Do we include TM, TR, Tutor, &/or Transfer moves?

Should Seviper's tongue be included for Natural Weaponry, since it learns Lick? Or is that too unnatural?
Apparently according to Pokemon profile standards TM and Tutor moves are not included and TCG moves are highly subject to just game mechinics.

Should Haze be assumed to be Mist Manipulation rather than Smoke Manipulation, despite it being black, & a counterpart to the white mist move, Mist?
& I emphasize their colours because it's in the Japanese names: Haze (Japanese: くろいきり Black Mist)

Is there any way to visually tell apart if it's smoke or mist?
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Haze_(move)#Core_series_games

(Also, I presume you intend to add PN for Gastro Acid later?)
Apparently according to Pokemon profile standards TM and Tutor moves are not included and TCG moves are highly subject to just game mechinics.
Noted.

Well Seviper on its base stats has 100 ATK which makes it have a higher ATK stat compared to others like Lunatone, slightly higher than Solrock, and higher than Whiscash.
Do not try to scale Pokemon by base stats.
Just off the top of my head, Cranidos has more base ATK than Arceus, & Teddiursa has more base ATK than Tinkaton.
Compared to Medicham, Phanpy is tied in base ATK & has more base HP, despite Medicham having actual good stamina feats.
Dodrio & Linoone were tied in base speed until Gen 7, when Dodrio, which has worse speed by feats, became 10 points faster.
& Arcanine's speed feat, when calculated, should be higher than both of theirs, despite having a lower base speed.

Escavalier & Vikavolt cry in low base speed stats while flying around at high speeds.
Not to mention Pidgeot flying at Mach 2 while only base 91 Speed.

Base stats are an unreliable metric.
We generally use evolutionary stages instead, IIRC.

I mean, the New Pokémon Standards blog post linked in the verse page explicitly says that:
There is no 'average' nor 'universal' rating for first, second or third stage Pokemon. Assigning them a tier on the grounds of 'should be comparable to other first-stage pokemon' does not make for an acceptable profile.
  • Pokemon should get their durability, striking strength and AP from either the pokedex, scaling to other Pokemon (if that Pokemon themself was wild) or upscaling from a prior evolution with a good rating.

Well according to Seviper's pokedex entries, it constantly fights with Zangoose, who is currently not on the wiki.

And i don't know if the Pokemon TCG or Pokemon Duel counts as Seviper in most cards of the TCG is a full-blown Psychic or darkness type card.

I still don't know how we tier Seviper, all it's pokedex entries are just about it's battles with Zangoose and even then, we can't go off of base stats in the games.

I still don't know how we tier Seviper, all it's pokedex entries are just about it's battles with Zangoose and even then, we can't go off of base stats in the games.
I'm still pretty sure Pokemon with no evos are scaled to fully evolved Pokemon.

Back