• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Oh, well, first post here and the actual reason for me to register... Ahem, as the title is saying, I believe that in DMC 1 the demon called Pluto was actually Mundus. Reason? These screenshots that I took from Devil May Cry: Feats Summarized and Explained by ParadoxIndifferent. The castellans were said to worship Mundus, they even had a statue of him right in the first area of the castle. Why would the prophet that told the castellans about Pluto as of someone they should expect, if they were worshipping another deity, the one that actually defeated so-called "Pluto"? And then, there's someone with "black wings of treachery". Yes, it could be Mundus, the Usurper, the one that overthrew Pluto, but he had white wings. This description actually fits Sparda, as the Arch-Betrayer and the Dark (Black) Knight, who literally had black bug wings. Yes, Sparda also did oppose the First Demon King, but he wasn't exactly somebody treacherous then. Quite the opposite actually - he was the most loyal servant of Mundus. But still, there's also the statement of Pluto separating heavens and earth, which fits the narrative of the DMC 3 manga's creation of the universe, but I doubt that they even had the manga planned, and it's just a coincidence with some different meaning, perhaps, related to Mundus creating a copy of the Universe to fight Dante. Yeah, the argument is weak as hell, I know. Still, there's one more, that I learned of from the Devil May Cry Wiki:

The Mundus Cereris was a pit in Roman mythology which contained an entrance to Hades, the underworld, which was ruled by Pluto, the Roman god of the underworld; Mundus is identified as Pluto twice within Devil May Cry.[21][22] The stone covering the pit, known as the lapis manalis, would be removed three times a year, and when it was removed it was believed that the spirits of the blessed dead would commune with the living.
Remember, the first DMC game was made based on Dante Alighieri's "Divine Comedy", and Alighieri himself was from Italy, formerly Rome. I'd say that the devs using ancient Roman mythology in their game is not too far-fetched.

TL;DR: The Prophet that mentioned Pluto could actually mean the game's final battle in the universe Mundus created, where Dante used Sparda's DT and gained black wings, and Pluto was just a name for Mundus himself.

This was what I thought for the longest time, but PoC has literally introduced us to Pluto, a different demon entirely. The manga also makes it clear that Pluto separated the worlds, a direct contrast with Mundus who wants to assimilate the human world.

Back