• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Please Remove Reality-Fiction Interaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we talking about Ant? This isn't about him.

Add in that they're bound by feats like everyone else, as not all of them are super vague. A bit of rewording could fix most of the issues with this page tbh.

He wrote the page, and usually gets around to revisions like these anyways. I'd like to know if a page I made was getting revised, whether or not I even agreed with the revisions.

Sera EX said:
Why are we talking about Ant? This isn't about him.
...Because he wrote the page?

I know he wrote it, but he's going to see this thread anyway when he wakes up, and I refuse to have Pritti's well-constructed and rather polite argument immediately shot down because a few others mentioned Ant off handedly and triggered his paranoia.

To be fair, you were kinda the first one to allude to him with your own comments, and I don't think he's gonna shut down a thread just because Regis suggested telling him about it. This is derailment though, ant'll get to this at his leisure at this point since someone linked him the thread.

Sera was suggested but there seem to be some issues between her and Ant so it'll probably be someone else.

I didn't say because Regis suggested alerting him about the thread. We're derailing at this point. Let's get back on topic, please.

Should we really go full steam on the rewrite before we get input from the person who created the page?

There is not a single notable work of fiction that treats reality interacting with fiction as having actual impact on reality.

There is not a single credible author that claimed they created a new universe in reality by writing a piece of fiction. These are claims without evidence.

I agree with Pritti that at least the top part of the page should be removed.

@Agnaa

Type 11 Large size was removed without a single piece of input from me, the author of that page. No one is preventing him from saying his piece so why are we still on that? I'm getting annoyed.

Jobbo said:
Sera was suggested but there seem to be some issues between her and Ant so it'll probably be someone else.
No there's not. I have no problem with Ant and he has no problem with me. Please, for the sake of the people making proper arguments, drop this.

Sera EX said:
@Agnaa

Type 11 Large size was removed without a single piece of input from me, the author of that page. No one is preventing him from saying his piece so why are we still on that? I'm getting annoyed.
Sure no-one's preventing him from saying his piece, but do we want to get started on the rewrite before input from the author? It'd be a bit wasteful if we started rewriting parts which we'd later agree to keep.

I was actually going to bring up the type 11 thing myself, since you should have been consulted before the page got changed.

We aren't getting started on a rewrite. No one said that.

RegisNex1232 said:
So everyone agrees on this? If so, then who is going to rewrite the page?
Jobbo said:

Actually I think Yumi summarized the entire argument without a wall of text like I did... Wowie.

Fourth Wall awareness should be an indexing only power. It's not specifically useful in a combat situation, but it is a power.

It's not like I made the thread. This was Pritti. She made far better arguments than I did on this thread. So she's the one that needs to be debated against. Not me.

Well, I didn't mean to come across as condescending, but it is often hard for me to know how people are going to interpret my writing style.

Anyway, we simply used to have quite a lot of instances of people inside and outside of the site claiming that any time there was an author avatar involved, it should automatically be tier 0 (Or -1... Yes, Polar-kun used to have that tier), regardless whether or not this made any sense, so from what I vaguely recall, I asked DarkLK for advice to help me write an instruction page to avoid this back when I was first starting to reorganise the site to what it is today.

I agree with DontTalkDT and Wokistan in any case. Rewriting the page to be interpreted as less condescending is fine, even if it was not intended that way, but we cannot assume that this will be self-evident to all visitors either.

Also, no, I have nothing against Sera. I was the one who suggested that she should be reinstated to the staff. I have also apologised repeatedly for that the Discord group members managed to trick all of the bureaucrats into thinking that there was something suspicious going on last year.

As for the omniverse term, the late Marvel editor Mark Gruenwald was the one who invented the term in the fanzine of the same name, and later imported it to Marvel when he worked there, and he genuinely defined it as all of fiction and reality combined, which was stated outright by the official Marvel handbooks that he originally created.

Given that we cannot automatically scale any characters related to the term, such as Roma and James Jaspers, to, for example, Featherine Augustus Aurora and Azathoth, it seems wisest to keep our restrictions for accepting it, but I agree that the page is old and of low quality, so improvements would be welcome.

While getting rid of the page is pushing, since while it is common sense yes, that doesn't stop certain people from going against it anyway. We know from experience. I agree 100% with the others that it needs to be reworded completely.

I think that a better use for the Reality-Fiction Interaction page would be explaining when a reality-fiction difference can be considered analogue to a dimensional difference.

There are some cases, like Umineko, where it's legitimate. Meanwhile, there are cases like DC, where it's simply a way to look at a parallel universe

Isn't the point of that page for when the fiction says it's looking at our reality, not when the fiction says that the god-tiers perceive lower beings as fictional?

@Agnaa

Yes, but i'm pretty sure that most people already agreed that "fiction can't actually influence the real world" is obvious and doesn't need a page specifying it.

Even if no one believes fiction can literally influence the real world, a decent amount of people still view "can affect the real world" type feats as being the pinnacle of what fictional characters can achieve.

Well, the page was more intended to make a distinction that author avatars cannot automatically be assumed to be tier 0 or higher, or that would end up as the most numerous occupants of the highest tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back