• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Philemon and Scaling: Part 2

DarkGrath

Top Tiering Advisor in Liyue
She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
Human Resources
The previous thread went pretty well, all things considered. Under the current accepted justifications, characters who scale to Philemon in Persona would be considered "At least Low 2-C, likely 2-C". Of course, for a character as complicated and distant as Philemon, there is a lot of vagueness as to who would actually scale to him. That is what this thread has been created to debate.

In the sections below, I'll list any decent reasons as to why characters should scale to Philemon. Note that I genuinely do not agree with all of this, I just think that it's all at least valid enough to mention. A point I disagree with isn't necessarily invalid; after all. Let's begin.

Nyarlathotep: Pretty standard and obvious. Nyar is comparable to Philemon, as shown by the games. Simple enough.

The P2 Cast: Harmed Philemon to an extent. I don't know the full context, though they apparently left a bruise on his cheek, so that's something. Obviously a very small injury, but an injury none the less.

Nyx: Nyx is shown, at the very least, to be notably superior to the entirety of the Collective Unconscious. Philemon, at his best, is considered an incarnation of one half of the Collective Unconscious, so Nyx should be vastly superior to Philemon.

The Universe Arcana: This point is debatable. Makoto Yuki, wielding the Universe Arcana, got completely stomped by Nyx. However, unlike some stomps, where we can't assume comparability (like with Dante killing fodders in DMC), the actual degree of difference between Makoto and Nyx seems to be quantifiable to an extent. If it's even quantifiable at all, then at a 2-C level, it would almost certainly mean they are in the same tier (even if on a far lower level).

Joker with Satanael: This is where things might get a bit dubious. There has been a running belief that Yaldabaoth, in his take-over of the Velvet Room, would have had to have beaten Philemon. This is not entirely baseless, frankly. It stands as reasonable that Philemon would know if the Velvet Room was attacked, and that he wouldn't simply stand by and watch. There's also the point that the blue butterfly (which usually represents Philemon) appears at several points throughout the game and seemingly has similar abilities (such as granting Personas). This might indicate that Philemon was either defeated, or he knows that he couldn't take on Yaldabaoth by himself. This is obviously highly speculatory, but worth discussing.

Narukami with the World Arcana: This is another highly dubious point. Physically speaking, both Izanagi-no-Okami and Satanael come from the same power; the power of the World Arcana. Given that they are both as powerful as they are due to this power, it stands to reason that they should be comparable. If Joker with Satanael scaling here is valid, then there's an argument to be made for Narukami with Izanagi-no-Okami as well. Still dubious, but again; worth mentioning.

So, the big question is, who scales?

I agree with everything except Joker and Narukami.

While it can be inferred in Persona 5, in Persona 5 Royal it is confirmed that the butterfly is Lavenza, not Philemon. As such, Yaldabaoth doesn't scale, which means Joker doesn't scale, which means Yu doesn't scale either.

Eh, I am very skeptical of scaling stomps in any way, shape or form. In all honesty I am against it. Other than that I will go with what you guys go with.

I do kind of get what you mean by the stomp thing, though I'm inclined to disagree.

Generally, fiction has stomps as either:

1: Being so vastly superior that the difference is 100% unknown (like if some higher dimensional being fought a regular human)

2: Just being far stronger to an extent that they can't be considered comparable (like two characters who are extremely far apart on a scaling chain)

I'd argue you can't do any scaling at all for the 1st kind, but especially considering the difference between Low 2-C and 2-C, I think you can scale within reason based on the 2nd type. Makoto being stomped by Nyx would fall under the 2nd type, since the difference between them is treated as being somewhat quantifiable (even if extreme).

I don't think Makoto should scale. At most, he has the ability to get 2-C Durability and 2-C Sealing from the event, since he didn't immediately die from Nyx's attacks, and eventually was able to take its attacks without flinching or even taking notable damage. However even this is dubious.

But Philemon, Nyar, the P2 cast, and Nyx scaling makes sense to me.

Yaldy isn't 2-C yet. We haven't decided whether the feat is 2-C or not.

That said, Joker and the Thieves do backscale from Yaldy as they always have. The scaling between Joker and Narukami is iffy. I'm personally against it.

For one, Joker doesn't get the World Arcana until weeks after the Yaldy fight, so Satanael wasn't powered by the World during it. Plus, Satanael is of the Fool Arcana. We can't account for how much Ren was empowered by the public's cognition or how much stronger he's gotten after obtaining the World, if at all. So we have nothing to scale Yu to, even assuming we accept the World Arcana scaling interpretation, which I personally don't.

I disagree. I am of the mind that no matter what, if it is a stomp, it shouldn't be scaled unless said character is a stone wall, and even then it's durability.

Meh.

I'd argue both are valid interpretations. I still think mine is more accurate and in-line with the general way the tiering system is depicted, but at this point it's bordering on just opinion. Yours is as valid as mine.

Well, there is the fact that Makoto could damage Nyx, if only a miniscule amount. If he couldn't damage her at all, then she wouldn't have had any HP, much less have it decrease when attacked.

That, added to the fact that he didn't immediately die from her attacks, would mean that they're at least on the same tier.

I am still not sold on this considering that simply scratching a character can still not cause you to scale and not dying immediately doesn't justify it in my eye. It's a similar reason we don't scale WarGreymon X or MetalGarurumon X for tanking hits from Omegamon and making him flinch from their attacks. But do what you will, it's not like I really care about anything Persona 3 related.

To put it into perspective, Makoto was able to take attacks and survive, then, as the battle went on, he was able to shrug off attacks from Nyx with no real damage. The attacks went from having an effect to having none at all, though he still couldn't damage Nyx in any realistic fashion.

Basically, it would only scale to dura. I don't agree with it scaling to AP, but... eh? Not really up to me, fully.

So, so far the agreement has been:

Yes: Nyarlathotep, Nyx, the P2 Cast

Maybe: The Universe Arcana

No: The World Arcana

I'm personally still on the "Yes" side for the Universe Arcana. The difference between the Universe Arcana and Nyx is pretty large, but not unquantifiable, which would indicate they should at least be in the same tier. And if we can reasonably scale the P2 Cast to Philemon via simply leaving a bruise on his cheek, when Nyx is already far more powerful than Philemon, I don't see problems with scaling Makoto via being capable of very mildly harming Nyx.

Milly Rocking Bandit said:
Why would Yu not scale?
Joker doesn't get the World Arcana until weeks after the Yaldy fight, so Satanael wasn't powered by the World during it. Plus, Satanael is of the Fool Arcana. We can't account for how much Ren was empowered by the public's cognition or how much stronger he's gotten after obtaining the World, if at all. So we have nothing to scale Yu to, even assuming we accept the World Arcana scaling interpretation, which I personally don't.

This seems to be going way off the scaling chain.

Nyx >>>>> Makoto Yuki (Universe Arcana) >> Yu Narukami (World) >> Nyx Avatar >> Ren Amamiya (Satanael) = Labrys (Post-Ultimax) = Yu Narukami / Tohru Adachi (Personas Combined) > Hi-no-Kagutsuchi = Izanami-no-Okami > Makoto Yuki (End-Game) = Izanami > Sho Minazuki (Kagutsuchi-empowered) >> Tohru Adachi = Sho Minazuki = Investigation Team (End-Game) = Shadow Operatives = SEES Members (End Game) = Yaldabaoth >> Makoto Yuki (Late Game) > Elizabeth (Persona 3) = Lavenza = Caroline & Justine >> Phantom Thieves (Post-Qliphoth)

Apparently Worldkami is slightly inferior to Makoto, but Satanael Ren is weaker than both?? What is this??

Currently, that's mainly just due to a lack of feats. Yaldabaoth, under current accepted feats that can be scaled, is just far superior to the Velvet Room Attendants. That's still impressive, but nothing unnatural across the franchise with large scaling chains bringing the other two characters higher.

I fully agree that Satanael Ren should be comparable to Narukami, which is where the World Arcana argument originated from. But there isn't quite enough evidence of that under current feats, and the World Arcana argument would have to be properly discussed first.

If there are any good ways to justify upgrading Yaldabaoth or Satanael Ren, then feel free to tell me about them on my message wall. Preferably not on here; as that would mean derailing the discussion. But I do genuinely agree that their current positions likely aren't accurate, even if it's the best we've got.

Milly Rocking Bandit said:
This seems to be going way off the scaling chain.
Nyx >>>>> Makoto Yuki (Universe Arcana) >> Yu Narukami (World) >> Nyx Avatar >> Ren Amamiya (Satanael) = Labrys (Post-Ultimax) = Yu Narukami / Tohru Adachi (Personas Combined) > Hi-no-Kagutsuchi = Izanami-no-Okami > Makoto Yuki (End-Game) = Izanami > Sho Minazuki (Kagutsuchi-empowered) >> Tohru Adachi = Sho Minazuki = Investigation Team (End-Game) = Shadow Operatives = SEES Members (End Game) = Yaldabaoth >> Makoto Yuki (Late Game) > Elizabeth (Persona 3) = Lavenza = Caroline & Justine >> Phantom Thieves (Post-Qliphoth)

Apparently Worldkami is slightly inferior to Makoto, but Satanael Ren is weaker than both?? What is this??
That's the old chain, which likely isn't entirely accurate at this point. We need to revise things, which is why this thread exists.

As for scaling Ren and Yu, I only disagree with scaling the two via the World Arcana. Yu is still Low 2-C, just that it's via fighting SEES in the Arena games, who are roughly equal to Makoto, who defeated a Velvet Room Attendant that's equal to Lavenza.

But Elizabeth got far stronger, and he contended with her. In the new chain, it's said that the Attendants AP wise could likely contend with them, but would be outhaxxed.

That's the old chain, which likely isn't entirely accurate at this point. We need to revise things, which is why this thread exists.

The old chain, IMO, is not entirely inaccurate under the current feats. I do think it can be improved in some ways, as I've said in the past, but overall it portrays the feats directly shown in reasonably accurate ways while keeping consistent with likely developer intentions.

If this whole thing does go through though, we do also need to make a 2-C scaling chain, and depending on who scales it might have an impact.

Back