• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Penguins of Madagascar Canonicity

DimeUhDozen

She/Her
A recent convo came up that put the canonicity of the Penguins of Madagascar TV series into question, whether or not it is canon to the events of the movie. And I am here to clear up that misconception. I don't have the screen-recording software able to catch all of my evidence, but I do have the exact timestamps and episode numbers to back them up.

Field Tripped:

In the episode Season 2 Episode 13 episode Field Tripped, at 1:43, the Penguins have this to say when a child whom they believe is a spy drops a brochure on Madagascar.

Private: Skipper! He dropped this!
Skipper: Junior has intel on Madagascar. How long has he been following us?

This confirms that the Penguins have been to Madagascar, tying into the events of the film.

The Return of the Revenge Of Dr. Blowhole:

This one is much easier. In the events of the episode, Skipper gets his mind wiped by Dr. Blowhole's Mind Jacker, and his subconscious creates a spirit guide to help him regain his memories. Eventually, it takes on the form of Alex the Lion from the Madagascar films, who remarks that they used to be neighbors before "a lot of crazy stuff happened".

April Fools:

Julien shows the Penguins a calendar which includes the month of "Julianuary", to which Mort replies that it is his favorite month. This is a connection in continuity to the "Merry Madagascar" special in which Julien calls Julienuary by name.

The Terror of Madagascar:

The plot revolves around a Baby Foosa (the predatory animals from the first movie) coming to the zoo. And Kowalski already has prior knowledge on the Foosa from the first film as shown in this scene.

Translation: The Foosas. Madagascar's most savage predators! Wild beasts that bite with flesh-shredding, bone-crushing jaws of doom! And that's just if they like you!

(Note: This episode came out a good while after the third film came out, thus we can assume that the three films are already accepted into the same canon)

Since the events of The Penguins of Madasgacar film take place directly after 3, I think it's safe to say that we have our timeline.

Oh and also All Hail King Julien is a prequel series and it ends with the Madagascar gang washing up on the island. So

All Hail King Julien -> Penguins Christmas Special -> Madagascar -> Merry Madagascar -> Madagascar 2: Escape 2 Africa -> Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted -> The Penguins of Madasgacar (Film) -> (The Penguins and Julien return to Central Park Zoo) -> The Penguins of Madagascar (Series)

Edit: Strawman Argument Time!

People like to bring up the statement from Tom McGrath that he likes to think it takes place in a parallel universe, but this statement was from all the way back in 2009 at its conception before all of the episodes above (which were all from either Season 2 or Season 3) connected it to the Madagascar continuity. It was for a single interview and it was not brought up since.

Last edited:
Back