• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord General Discussion Mk.IX

Just as she was about to swing it, she halted halfway. Rust covered the broadsword, and it slowly crumbled away. In her blood-addled mind, she thought about a penalty from one of her job classes — Cursed Knight — and she tossed it away in a vaguely disappointed manner.

What would this be?

....Uh... Rust inducement?... Limited corrosion inducement? It seems like she has a penalty about what weapons she can wield and weapons that don't meet certain requirements simply crumble in her hands. Not really a useful ability in a fight outside a few very specific circumstances but still an interesting trait.

"Stronoff-dono. Do you have any idea of this sword's power?"

"I fully understand it. This sword has an unreal sharpness that can cut metal like paper."

Quick question. So we already know it can bypass Ainz's magical and immunity defenses stuff. But, should we take this line to mean it also dura negs/bypasses armor?

Or do we just take it at Gazef's word that it's just a really good/sharp sword in that regard?

yea, all that's known about it is Ainz saying it would hurt him despite not having data to do so normally, which means it would bypass his magic defenses and his immunities

but it hasn't shown or been hinted to do anything else afaik

also, Ainz doesn't correct him when Gazef says it's super sharp being the reason it can cut metal so easily, so I think that's enough reason to say that part isn't Dura Neg

Doesn't supernatural sharpness count as durability negation, though? I don't think we implied Razor Edge's durability negation was from anything else. It's just so sharp that it can cut through armor like paper, and Ainz reveals that it has other abilities as well, like negating his passive resistance to low tier weapons.

except it clearly isn't full on dura neg since it didn't do anything to the Dark Young

honestly i don't see it as more than "This sword is super powerful and cuts through most known metals like paper"

and since NW is weak, those known metals aren't too impressive

Wouldn't that still be "Limited Durability Negation"? I agree with what you said, but I don't think that's mutually exclusive from durability negation. The sword is so sharp that it bypasses durability up to a certain level. Also, Ainz knew how weak most New World weapons were, but he was fairly impressed with Razor Edge and wanted to keep it. The only reason he didn't steal it after the duel was out of respect for Gazef's wishes.

he was impressed because it didn't have enough data to normally hurt him, but could do so anyway, bypassing his magical defenses

and again, Ainz didn't correct Gazef when he said it being super sharp was one of it's attributes

if it was a stronger YGGDRASIL weapon, it would also likely be classified as being super sharp, because it would be much stronger than anything comparatively in the NW

i'm saying it's touted as super sharp because of AP, not limited dura neg

Ainz analyzed enough about the weapon to know for a fact it would hurt him despite defying YGGDRASIL rules, i would think he would mention to Gazef that sharpness was also dura neg and not just because it's a good sword

Apeironaxim said:
Durability Negation with Razor Edge (Slices through virtually anything like paper, and byasses Ainz's immunity to damage taken from lower-tier weapons.
i basically just want to get rid of the bolded part, as it has not shown anything even somewhat remotely close to that

whether or not the shaprness is limited dura neg or just AP can be argued

Razor Edge ignores durability up to Ainz's level

also this

no, Razor Edge is not 7-B, absolutely not

like i said, imo the sharpness bit only means AP. Hell, Takemikazuchi MK 8 has a similar description of cutting through Shalltear's armor like paper, but that's because it's a really strong weapon compared to Shalltear's armor

the only dura neg properties of Razor Edge is its ability to bypass magic defenses and immunity defenses

It's mechanics is that it goes through magical defences that inhibits it from inflicting damage, just that the degree of damage it inflicts depends entirely on the weapon's quality (AP) relative to opponent's tier/level.

Something like -1 health (not entirely accurate) for Ainz and the gang if they get hit. In theory it's able to kill him...eventualy.

You can get rid of it imo

imo the part to ignore ainz magical defense is power nullification because Ainz magical defense protecting him from low level attacks is something different from his durability and the sharpness if very minor durability negation

I still think it takes a lot less assumptions to just say it's a strong sword and it's by AP/a sword of really good quality

Clementine's weapons are described as being abnormally sharp, but they are just made of amazing material (amazing to NW anyway)

Takemikazuchi MK 8 has a similar description of cutting through Shalltear's armor like paper, but that's because it's a really strong weapon compared to Shalltear's armor

Ainz, when he analyzed the sword, didn't mention any unique properties other than the fact it could hurt him, not correcting Gazef's description that the sword was incredibly sharp

though Ruler makes a good point, wouldn't bypassing magical defenses and such be Power Null rather than Dura neg?

Durability Negation with Razor Edge (Slices through virtually anything like paper, and byasses Ainz's immunity to damage taken from lower-tier weapons.

Razor Edge ignores durability up to Ainz's level

So, we're changing Dura Neg to Power Null, deleting the bolded part of the explanation, and deleting that second line about ignoring dura up to Ainz's level?

Making sure i've got everything right

assuming we include Adamantite other high-end NW metals into his explanation of cutting metal like paper, a decent amount higher on the 8-C scaling chain, since those should be around 8-C in dura afaik

"Alright, first things first. I have something very important to tell you, so pay close attention. Entoma, you can create illusions, am I correct? Can you create an illusion as I direct?"

"Understood."

Heeding Demiurge's directions, Entoma created an image in the air. The free-floating illusion pleased Demiurge.
Entoma should have illusions, prob.

Assuming no one has any qualms with the Razor Edge stuff, i can try and edit Gazef's profile tonight

alright, managed to get to it

hopefully no glaring errors were made

it is super late at night for me, after all

the closest we've gotten is Platinum Dragon Lord being stated to likely reduce the country to scorched earth if the Republic fought him

but we don't know if that's over time

yeah it kinda sucks that all these op hero of justice who can beat anyone are getting so out of hand nowadays that by now maruyama probably has to step the overlord casts game up a bit to be able to continue to reverse that trope which is one of overlords biggest appeals.

as I always say... even the mighty lord Ainz can't beat bad or cheap writing

Actually them getting nuked by PDL would give them a solid tier if the attack doesn't have something special behind. Destroying the entire country is way big of a tier jump, something like a description of the blast wave or fireball being kilometers would be really good.

which is why he would likely do it over time

but hey, it's something to look forward to if he ever shows his power and fights

also he's not destroying a country like wiping it off the map, just scorching it

though i'm sure that's still country level if it's in one go

RulerOfTheAbyss said:
yeah it kinda sucks that all these op hero of justice who can beat anyone are getting so out of hand nowadays that by now maruyama probably has to step the overlord casts game up a bit to be able to continue to reverse that trope which is one of overlords biggest appeals.
as I always say... even the mighty lord Ainz can't beat bad or cheap writing
Overlord may be lacking in feats due to the author's writing style, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing for the story. I've seen people make it out as if Maruyama's style's lack of usable feats is somehow a bad thing, but the truth is that a random website like Vsbattles is unimportant compared to the series itself. Writers put their focus on the story's execution, not on how the story's characters will later be classified on a website that 99% of the series's fans will never use or see.

Sure, Maruyama could show us every single character's abilities, but that would probably just be a waste of time for him, and it would needlessly bloat the story. Even if we get absolutely no feats in the next volume, or if it somehow ends up downgrading all the characters, it doesn't really matter. What matters is if the story is good.

you know that's true and I actually agree with you... they can't just nuke a country because every country and faction and piece on the land map is carefully woven into a bigger picture and part of good detailed world building.

but I'd still like for Ainz and especially the others in Nazarick to show how op they are once in a while.

and maybe in the next LN volume they're gonna do a bit more and if we ever get season 4 we might also get to actually see how powerful Demis meteor strike is.

It just feels bad to have Ainz who is the exact reverse of the op isekai her of justice who saves everyone for their ideals and who is from a work that plays with that fact a lot be outclassed by lazily written characters from other verses of the same genre

I used to feel that way too, but you just have to accept that things like that don't really matter. The only way to make Ainz unbeatable by badly-written characters would be to make him Tier 0. What matters is Ainz's role in his own story, not his abilities compared to those of other fictions. I agree that it would be cool for Ainz to make a huge display of power, but only because of what that would mean for the story going forward, and not because it means that he would now be able to beat a bunch of fictional characters on a fan website. In the end, this site is for entertainment purposes only. It's not meant to be used as a tool to compare different characters and settings, and if used as such it can give off an incorrect impression.

Back