• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Otherside Picnic Omnibus 2 + Volume 5 Additions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Promestein

Resurrection Lily
She/Her
VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
I read Otherside Picnic Omnibus 2 and Volume 5 over the course of my vacation and now that I'm back let's get additions going whoooooooooo.

File 9: Yamanoke Presence

In File 9, Sorawo gets possessed by a Yamanoke. This is what ends up happening. Pages 57-59, Omnibus 2.
The Yamanoke possesses people. There was nothing in the account I read about what happens to those who are possessed, but I could imagine now. I would cease to be. My very existence would. Once I was completely unable to distinguish what was and was not my own body, I would no longer be able to maintain my sense of self.

I was melting. Disappearing. My skin vanished, and my body went to pieces. All that remained was terror as all was swallowed into a muddy surge of madness.

Then - suddenly, my consciousness resurfaced. Something soft and warm was touching my surface. It traced the contours of my body, as if to draw a boundary with the floor and area around me. I clung to that sensation. Gradually, spots of feeling returned to my arms and legs. I could feel my shape coming back to me, like the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle slowly being assembled.

These things stroking my body were... Toriko's hand.

"Sorawo, do you understand? Okay, breathe slowly. Can you hear my voice?" Toriko whispered to me in a calm tone.

"To-Tori-ko."

"Yeah. It's going to be alright, okay? You don't need to rush this."

It was Toriko's left hand that was touching me. Her clear hand, with the glove removed, stroked my head, touched my face, going from neck to arm, almost massaging me as she moved downward. The places her left hand touched gradually took back their human shape.
With her left hand, Toriko is able to reverse some of the effects of the Yamanoke's possession, unmelting Sorawo's body, and yes it was very much getting ****** up physically. I'm not entirely sure how to quantify this ability-wise, but it happens. Afterwards, Toriko is able to force the Yamanoke outside of Sorawo by smacking her back.
Slap! The hardest and most painful slap yet struck the center of my back like an explosion. The shock left me short of breath, and as I coughed and sputtered, something came out of my mouth.

A whitish slug-like creature fell onto the concrete with a splat.
File 11: The Whispered Voice Requires Self-Responsibility

In this file we meet Runa Urumi, a Fourth Kind who can control minds. Sorawo is able to detect people under the influence of her powers. Pages 149-150, Omnibus 2.
That's when I realized something strange. The man had a silver halo around his head. That phosphorescence stuck out from both of his ears, writhing like slugs.

Could it be that I was seeing Runa Urumi's power of control?
A while later, Toriko is able to pull 'the Voice' out of another mind controlled person's head, freeing him from the effects. Page 173, Omnibus 2.
"The space next to this guy's ear, grab it hard."

"Right, right... Whoa?!"

In my right field of vision, the bonds of Voice wrapped around the man's head began thrashing as Toriko seized them in her translucent hand.

At the same time, he let out a scream. "What're you doing?! Stop!"

"Sorawo, this thing's flopping around in my hand!"

"Whaa... Ergh! Come out, you!"

Toriko pulled with brute force, dragging the Voice ot of the man's head. The man screamed and his eyes rolled back.

"Wh-Wh-What do I do with it now?!"

"Err, no clue... Try crushing it!"

"You need to think of this stuff first!" Keeping it as far from her body as possible, Toriko squeezed her left hand.

The Voice scattered, like a creature made out of water. I felt an echo of Runa's whispering voice deep in my ears, and my head sunk into my shoulders a bit.
Sorawo later describes the Voice as a sort of tentacle that extends from Runa when she speaks; its own creature, of sorts, so this is a really niche ability here but I figured it was notable anyways, it's similar to Toriko forcing out the Yamanoke.

File 17: Looking at the Past in the Diagonal Mirror

Toriko accidentally shoves Sorawo into the interstitial space, the world between reality and the Otherside, with her left hand, even though it's gloved. Pages 56-58, Volume 5.
"Let go!"

"No!" I reflexively shouted, and Toriko whirled around to face me. The hand I was holding onto her coat was getting pulled along, so I let go in a hurry. As I staggered backward, Toriko's swinging left hand hit me.

"Whoa!" She ended up pushing me away, and I fell over backwards. Fortunately, I landed on my butt and hands, and didn't strike my head or anything.

Toriko gulped. "Y-your hand..."

I looked up at her, shaking my hand to distract myself from the pain from it hitting the asphalt.

Toriko was looking down at me in shock. I was about to say something like, What are you doing? That was dangerous, but she had gone pale and that startled me. I knew Toriko hadn't meant to shove me. It was just inertia, and bad timing.

"Uh, it's fine. No harm done. My hand just hurts a bit."

She hadn't said anything, but I smiled, trying to reassure her. It was the truth anyway. My hand stung, but I wasn't bleeding. In fact, if anything, I was relieved that Toriko had finally stopped.

But that relief was short-lived. Her gaze drifted away from me, wandering.

"Sorawo...?"

"I said I'm fine."

"Huh? Huh? Sorawo?"

There was something wrong. I thought she was too shaken to look me in the eye at first, but that apparently wasn't it. She seemed to look at me again for a moment, but her eyes passed right over me, continuing to search all over.

It's like she can't see me at all...

"Sorawo, where are you?"

With those words, my suspicion turned to certainty.

She can't see me.

She really can't see me.

"Toriko -" I hurried to my feet.

What in the world happened to her?

"I'm right here." I stepped forward, calling out to her. I was going to take her hand, try to calm her down.

That's when, before my very eyes, Toriko's form wavered. Then, in an instant, she vanished, swallowed up by silver phosphorescence.

"Toriko?!" It was my turn to be shocked. I rushed to where Toriko had been seconds ago and started looking around. Gone. She was gone. Nowhere to be found. Toriko had vanished without a trace. As if she'd never existed in the first place.

"Come on. You're kidding me, right? Why...?"

As I was there, about to fall into a state of panic, I noticed something odd. It wasn't just Toriko who'd disappeared - there was no one around as far as the eye could see.

It was noon, but all of the students who had been milling about were gone now, and the campus was silent and empty. In the space of maybe ten seconds, I had been left as the only living, moving person here.

I groaned, overcome by deja vu.

I'd experienced the same thing when I encountered the Time-space Man. That time, I had also noticed there was suddenly no one else around. No people, no cars, no sound of trains. This utter silence, like nothing I had ever experienced in the surface world, was the same as it'd been back then.

Basically, that meant this was the interstitial space.
This is pretty blatant BFR, but Toriko doesn't really seem to have any control over it happening - who knows why it specifically happened now, of all times, but it can happen.

So this is BFR, and I don't ******* know how to specifically quantify the shit in Yamanoke Presence and Self-Responsibility besides extra notes in their elaborations.

Any more input?

Would Power Nullification also work for the stuff Toriko does here? She's like, nullifying a possession's effects, so...

BFR is fine.
Conditional Biological and Mind manipulation looks to work for Yamanoke.
Power Nullification also work for the stuff Toriko

It's not for the Yamanoke, it's for Toriko. The Yamanoke doesn't have a page; I don't really need to put forth a CRT to decide the stats for a single-appearance entity with clearly defined powers. Toriko has a page and this will result in changes for Toriko's abilities.

One last chance for input.

Disagreed because i said so.

This does looks fine, so i agree with the additions. How comes you made Sorawo and Toriko profiles without telling me? Quite saddening

I made them before the other thread! I didn't even know the Kunekune page existed when I made them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back