• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Organizing Long Chains of Powerscaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArbitraryNumbers

VS Battles
Retired
One of my biggest pet peeves is verses that use huge webs of powerscaling.

This guy fought this guy as well as this guy. The former of which fought this guy and this guy, and the latter of which fought these three other guys. Those three other guys are each comparable to this guy, who did this and this etc, etc.

This makes things very confusing, and finding the original feats that the character scales to is like going through a maze that could potentially drive the readers in circles without retaining that much information. Some verses that come to mind are Warhammer 40,000 and Mortal Kombat. I'm more exaggerating on Warhammer 40,000, but I still had to explore a bit to actually find the original calculated feats, and had to ask some people for help. Mortal Kombat may or may not still be that way, but I remember it being like that when I looked at the verse a while back.

My suggestion is this:

Let's use the Reptile Twins for an example.

They fought Chatterteeth, who could fight on par with Genie, who fodderizes the Felis Umbra, who could devour a dozen collapsed stars (Assume the chain is much longer and more confusing than this).

So we'd include that shortened chain in a note at the bottom of the page as follows:

Note: The chain of powerscaling works like this: Reptile Twins = Chatterteeth = Genie >> Felis Umbra = At least 4-B (Link the feat or calc)

'=' signifies that the previous character fought on par with or is comparable to the following character, ">" indicates that the character is stronger, ">>" indicates that the character is far stronger, etc.

This will make the original feats that the characters scale to much easier to find, and simplifies debating, as it shortens the amount of questions that members need to ask.

I'm open to any other ideas, but the focus here is to make the original calculated feats easier to find.

I see that most of us are probably going to be busy with the upcoming Narutoforums revision, anyway. Perhaps we could put my suggestion on hold then, and discuss an alternative afterward?

Would be a lot of work to apply, but would definitely make the place way more convenient.

I agree with this 100%

All the pages in someway should list the feat that every said character power scales to/off of or else readers from outsiders the wiki will be 100% confused being given the run around.

In verses with major webs of powerscaling, I'd always make a point to include the original feats in a note that says "the chain of powerscaling ultimately points to ____ who did ____", or just explain the original feats in the profile alongside the character who performed them.

I technically agree with this, but it would require combing through over 13000 profiles, and as such likely not be realistic, except as a summer revision project for the entire staff, and it likely isn't important enough to spend such massive resources on.

I agree that my solution was a bit over the top and would require too much work.

However, my suggestion is not for every single profile, but for the ones that use big webs of powerscaling. Having to click through a couple of pages is fine, but when it becomes a maze where each profile has multiple different characters to scale to, each of which scaling to even more characters, it becomes tedious and confusing, and it can drive the reader in circles.

At the very least I'd like to make a point for future reference.

@Ant. Its christmas break soon, and of the 13,000 profiles, we literally can cut down hundreds of them by simply querying pages to only characters in a verse with more than 1 character. I doubt it is that hard to filter out categories like that. I would gladly take on this revision, and even if we can't do it all by once, it can merely be a case-by-case basis where we set a prescedent and all upcoming profiles adhere to it, and we modify older profiles to it as time goes by.

PaChi2 said:
I foresee a hell of a chain in Digimon and OPM.
I've been meaning to go through the Digimon profiles anyway given they don't explain power scaling, but I don't think it be that bad. It would probably just be:

• Digimon who scale to 3-C: "Vastly superior to VaDemon"
  • Digimon who scale to High 4-C: "At least comparable to Wendigmon"
  • Digimon who scale to 6-B: "Comparable to Server Continent Digimon"
etc. The only thing that could get messy is the 2-A strings.

As for OP, I agree we should simplify it in the future, but not feel the need to revise old profiles.

@Darkanine boi, but what if you had to chain everyone? I mean, Digimon X > Y > Z = A = B > C = D > Vademon? lol

@FanofRPGs

Well, the Narutoforums calculation links is our current scheduled holiday wiki revision. Anything else has to come later, and there are various other projects already on my to-do-list.

Reminds me of that guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy, from Spongebob.

I like it, if I find it a bit tedious to apply. It's definitely an improvement though if it gets off the ground.

I just edited my comment.

My suggestion is not for every single profile, but for the ones that use long webs of powerscaling. Clicking through a couple pages is fine, but when each character lists multiple different characters to scale to, each of which scaling to even more, it becomes tedious.

At the very least I'd like to make a point for future reference.

Antvasima said:
@FanofRPGs
Well, the Narutoforums calculation links is our current scheduled holiday wiki revision. Anything else has to come later, and there are various other projects already on my to-do-list.
Well that should be easy. Assuming it takes me 1.5 minutes to edit a page for a calc, and I work for 3 hours or so, that is 120 pages I would edit, and there will be more members than just me working on the project. On my free-time, I can edit profiles to work on the power-scaling scale suggested.

Well, again, I can definitely place this on the wiki to-do-list, but it simply isn't realistic for the time being.

I have added this to my VS Battles wiki to-do-list.

Perhaps we should remove the highlight and close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back