• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One-Punch Man: Elder Centipede upgrade

Why Elder Centipede has the same tier that Genos, Bomb and Bang? he was able to level an entire city just by passing through it and tunnel through the ground with ease, he is more durable than they are and Saitama needs to use serious punch though he did it out of a need to minimize collateral damage, He still deserves more than he has.

EC seems to be heavily implied to be one of the strongest monsters in the series.

But he does seem to be lacking in actual feats. I think Gyoro Gyoro's statement about only 4 heroes being able to beat him isn't wrong at all based on him no selling attacks from multiple S class level opponents and being described as "calamity incarnate".

Be honest do you really think it's accurate that Hellfire and Gale are rated higher than him?

In attack potency he not have show much but in durability he has show very much, all depends of the carapace he has and how many times he moltet into a new carapace. I didn't know they are rated higher than him, is very impresive, Saitama treated them like a trash while to elder centipede is treated like a threat.

Centipede
Here is EC being compared to a natural disaster twice. And even the Hero Association seems to only think King and Tatsumaki would be able to take care of him.

Can somebody summarise your intended statistics change?

First would have to calculate Bomb and Bang combined attack potency, and then calculate the attack of Genos inside Elder Centipede what is more powerful or more effective than the combo of Bang and Bomb, I think it's both things. Therefore Bang and Bomb are to be actualized too, in Elder Centipede profile is added in durability but in Bang, Bomb and Genos is not added in attack potency.

Saitama used his Serious punch to kill EC, so it's highly possible EC would survive anything below Saitama's serious series.

Maybe it's best to wait for the next chapter (Saitama vs Orochi) to scale Orochi's dura with EC's (if Orochi wouldn't survive Saitama casual attack(s), then EC's dura should be higher), afterall he also survived an encounter with Blast

EC's dura should absolutely not scale to Orochi. Orochi is above everyone else in the Monster association and is never implied to be some kind of glass cannon, so his durability being lower than ECs makes no sense.

The only additonal info we got on EC is that Orochi seemed to hold him in pretty high regard.

We already knew Gyoro Gyoro did so I guess that's not too shocking.

EC have more durability than power. Orochi in AP is above anything in the monster asociation, in any way, EC has shown more durability than Orochi.

He hasn't, being obliterated by a stronger attack than what was used to defeat another person isn't reason for scaling. Surviving it or it being actually stated that any lower level attack would have failed is.

I agree with Albertraski, in any case, EC is at least comparable in term of overall power (especially defense), Orochi's best feats from the chapter I guess are his speed and attack power, however, his dura is not that strong, maybe he just slightly more durable than Rover

The whole idea that since Saitama used Serious punch here therefore Elder Centipede would tank his normal attack is absurd. A person can very well use a stronger attack than what was necessary to kill his target if he feels like it and you have to completely ignore that to get an upgrade here since EC was totally destroyed by the punch and nowhere was it implied that the serious punch came out of a necessity, so scaling cannot be argued any other way.

This is also the equivalent of saying Forest king has higher durability than Carnage Kabuto because Saitama killed the former with consecutive normal punches and the latter with a normal punch.

Nobody said EC would tank a normal punch, in theory, he would be seriously injured (will likely losing an entire head) but would survive anyway thanks to his Regenerationn and gigantic size (and had a chance to escape again if Saitama's too lazy to chase after him) , we all know Saitama is more than capable to measure his enemies and can control his power behind his punch accordingly

Survive or tank makes no difference, this is still an assumption that Saitama needed to use a serious punch here because of his opponent's durability and not because he just felt like it.

Saitama adapt her punches to the enemy and situation, to cover the entire body of EC and no causing collateral damage he has to concentrate her attack and control the punch, suficient to cover the entire body but not too much for cause a destruction in the city, her attack has more control than power. I'ts just to dificult to say if he has capable to survive a normal punch, there is no evidence for this, via her size it's possible he survive, going into a new carapace and already have the feat, but this not ocurred. EC is still one of the most strong monsters in the OPM, and their durability should be upgrade more than his attack.

It seems like this suggestion has been rejected.

To add some stuff

• As warned by King, if Saitama didn't kill EC in one attack there was a high probablity of it escaping and coming back again. Saitama could indeed gib him with a normal or serious punch, he just wanted to leave no room for the monster to survive so he used a targeted and controlled hit
  • While I disagree with scaling EC to Orochi, there are arugments I can see for him possibly scaling to Goketsu. In some other threads people wanted to add a "Possibly 7-A" key to some of the other higher level dudes that could backscale. But that may be for another thread topic I guess.

There isn't evidence to say EC could tank a normal punch. Literally the only reason why Saitama used a Serious punch was because King told him to, so as to not cause damage to the city via EC's body. EC surviving a normal punch is a pretty big assumption.

KardiacKon said:
Literally the only reason why Saitama used a Serious punch was because King told him to, so as to not cause damage to the city via EC's body.
He lists multiple reasons to not use just an old punch. Those being

• You have to deal a finishing blow so it won't escape
  • You have to make sure the attack doesn't blow his body into the city
Him using a serious punch was to assure a kill and to limit the AoE shockwaves. Not because a normal punch couldn't just gib EC.

Trying to scale EC off Orochi makes no sense.

However Elder Centipede should scale to Gouketsu imo.

They've been grouped together as top dogs several times and both had similar levels of hype.

So should EC be upgraded in relation to Gouketsu then?

Okay. Would you be willing to handle it Qawsedf234?

I'll make a thread about who should scale when the calc is allowed to be used.

Making Elder Centipede 7-A would mean a lot of other guys would also have to be 7-A, since Bang and Bomb destroyed EC's carapace.

Surprisingly, it would be everyone who was 7-A pre-Genos downgrade.

@Gyro That's only his carapace, not his true durability. I actually remember statements from ONE and Murata that Bang and Bomb destroying the carapace was only meant to make the scaling between them and Metal Bat consistent while still keeping EC a threat that they couldn't harm in any meaningful fashion

All I remember is that Murata was gonna have Elder Centipede no-sell Bang and Bomb's Whirlwind Water Stream Roaring Aura Sky Ripping Fist, but someone in his stream came up with the suggestion that they actually destroy it, so Murata incorporated that. EC's carapace shouldn't be any lower than his usual durability, seeing as the whole point of a carapace is to provide a protective/defensive covering.

Oh, and they also knocked Elder Centipede back while he was charging at them, thus cancelling out his momentum entirely. That means they'd scale to his AP.

If the only thing below the carapace was his exposed and vulnerable flesh, then yeah, being more durable would make sense. But here the destruction of the carapace revealed a perfectly fine Centipede unbothered by anything that had happened up to point and at the very least, heavily implied to be more powerful than before.

It makes no sense in context for what bang and bomb destroyed to be more durable than what they didn't

It's not that Elder Centipede was some sort of Russian nesting doll. He molted the destroyed carapace to become even stronger. Both the chapter itself and the changes by Murata (linked by Peter above, much appreciated) not only imply, but show that Bang and Bomb injured Elder Centipede.

Also, as I said before, they stopped Elder Centipede's charge completely, and knocked it back, which would take comparable AP to the monster itself.

So do you think Elder shouldn't scale to 7-A? or are you fine with scaling if it's only for the evolved form?

I'm not sure. We have two statements putting Gouketsu and Elder Centipede in the same ballpark, but these were most likely referring to his unevolved form, seeing as both Gyoro Gyoro and Orochi never saw said unevolved form. Also, Bang believed that if he went all out he'd be able to hold off the evolved EC.

But at the same time, Genos destroyed EC's teeth which likely wouldn't happen if EC was hundreds to thousands of times stronger than Genos.

Genos destroying his teeth is either an outlier or EC's teeth simply not sharing his overall durability. After all, EC is far, FAR above Genos's paygrade.

It would make more sense if Elder Centipede was High 7-C, given how Genos went all out and the fact that EC is big means that Genos would have a force multiplier. I can see it being an outlier too though.

Back