• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece: Kozuki Oden's Haoshoku Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminiteable

He/Him
Introduction:
Currently Kozuki Oden's profile it lists him as having Advanced Haoshoku Haki. The purpose of this thread is to revise that and have it be replaced with an Intermediate value as I believe there is a lack of evidence for him possessing that stage of Haki.

Evidence supporting Kozuki Oden possessing Haoshoku Infusion:
The only piece of evidence supporting Oden having this stage of Haoshoku is a statement made by Oda in Volume 100's SBS section, which states the following:
Q: I pretend to do Divine Departure and Tougenshirataki (Paradise Waterfall) at kindergarten. Can i be strong?

Oda: Be careful not to use too much Conqueror's!
HP62ZUZ.jpg
The issue with this statement is that it's not really confirming Oden to have Haoshoku infusion as it could refer to Haoshoku in general or that it's just referring to Roger's attack. But another issue is it's probably not even referring to the attacks as they appeared in the manga as the attack referenced for Oden was used against Mountain God; before Oden had ever left wano.

Evidence against Kozuki Oden possessing Haoshoku Infusion:
Oden's feat of scarring Kaidou which many attribute to his Haoshoku Infusion was credited to his strength in swordsmanship. With Haoshoku Haki not being mentioned at all.

The SFX for Haoshoku Infusion does not appear whenever Oden has a lightning effect in his attacks, similarly the actual lightning that does appear doesn't resemble Haoshoku Infusion where their lightning trails off his weapon, and instead resembles the attack used by the scabbards against Kaidou.

With the recent releases of the Digital Colored Manga for One Piece we can see that the lightning he produced against Kaidou (when he scarred him) was the color used to indicate Busoshoku Haki not Haoshoku Infusion. (I'll go into more detail on this in the next point)

Oden himself who dubs his sword style "The Greatest" tries to teach his retainers how to use it, however, when he goes into detail about it he talks about Ryuo (Busoshoku) not Haoshoku.

Regarding the consistency of Lightning as an effect & it's color:
It's true that the consistency of lightning's color and what it indicates to regarding Haki etc can be inconsistent in the manga; for example Chinjao & Luffy's Hao clash was yellow lightning but in the same arc Doffy's and Luffy's Hao clash was Red&Black Lightning.

However the inconsistencies have more to do with when the colored volumes were released rather than them being inconsistent in general. The recent releases of volumes 96, 97 and 98 all came at the same time and thus are consistent (which we'll show).

Regarding the color of Busoshoku Haki usage which was brought up above, in the recent release of the volumes it's shown to be indicated by black & red lightning, the proof is the following:
Thus based on what we've seen it's more consistently shown that black & red lightning is an indicator of Busoshoku Haki usage in this set of volumes, and thus the Tougen Totsuka Oden used against Kaidou indicates Busoshoku Haki while a confirmed case of Haoshoku infusion between Roger and Whitebeard produced pure red lightning.

Conclusion:
So as brought up in the introduction Oden would have his Advanced Haoshoku rating removed in the Powers and Abilities section being replaced at the intermediate stage and in his Attack Potency section which could likely be replaced with "with Enma Unleashment" (as the feat was credited to Enma in it's introduction) just combined his Haoshoku Infusion feats with his regular rating assuming no one else has any other suggestions.

Last edited:
I agree, the SBS statement is very vague to conclude that Oden certainly has Hao Infusion. That being said, I guess we could either list "far higher with Ryūō [or just Busoshoku Haki, whatever]" or with Enma Unleashment, depending on what's more reasonable.
Ryuo or Enma unleashment both work for me, maybe not Busoshoku Haki as his normal rating scales to him using that.

Personally I prefer Enma unleashment as when he sensed it being used with Zoro it gave him slight PTSD (similar to the Scabbards using Ryuo)

Him not getting infusion is begrudgingly fair

However the "higher with yadayada" shouldn't be a thing and I completely disagree with it. Nothing says that he was stronger at that specific moment.
Your statement here
Oden's feat of scarring Kaidou which many attribute to his Haoshoku Infusion was credited to his strength in swordsmanship. With Haoshoku Haki not being mentioned at all.
Brings up strength in swordsmanship. This is his swordsmanship strength, AKA a feat for Oden's regular capabilities w/ Haki.

Enma is noted because it's one of the swords used to ever hurt Kaidou, not because Oden poured out massive amounts of Haki with it.

Just add that onto his regular justification

Brings up strength in swordsmanship. This is his swordsmanship strength, AKA a feat for Oden's regular capabilities w/ Haki.

Enma is noted because it's one of the swords used to ever hurt Kaidou, not because Oden poured out massive amounts of Haki with it.

I agree with adding it on to his regular justification.

Him not getting infusion is begrudgingly fair

However the "higher with yadayada" shouldn't be a thing and I completely disagree with it. Nothing says that he was stronger at that specific moment.
Your statement here

Pretty much my thoughts

The justification being so vague (and mostly jokingly said) never felt right for me.
Oden was praised for his swordsmanship and Togen Totsuka hints at the usage of Ryuou rather than COC Infusion, so I agree.

Introduction:
Currently Kozuki Oden's profile it lists him as having Advanced Haoshoku Haki. The purpose of this thread is to revise that and have it be replaced with an Intermediate value as I believe there is a lack of evidence for him possessing that stage of Haki.

Evidence supporting Kozuki Oden possessing Haoshoku Infusion:
The only piece of evidence supporting Oden having this stage of Haoshoku is a statement made by Oda in Volume 100's SBS section, which states the following:

The issue with this statement is that it's not really confirming Oden to have Haoshoku infusion as it could refer to Haoshoku in general or that it's just referring to Roger's attack. But another issue is it's probably not even referring to the attacks as they appeared in the manga as the attack referenced for Oden was used against Mountain God; before Oden had ever left wano.

Evidence against Kozuki Oden possessing Haoshoku Infusion:

The SFX for Haoshoku Infusion does not appear whenever Oden has a lightning effect in his attacks, similarly the actual lightning that does appear doesn't resemble Haoshoku Infusion where their lightning trails off his weapon, and instead resembles the attack used by the scabbards against Kaidou.

With the recent releases of the Digital Colored Manga for One Piece we can see that the lightning he produced against Kaidou (when he scarred him) was the color used to indicate Busoshoku Haki not Haoshoku Infusion. (I'll go into more detail on this in the next point)

Oden himself who dubs his sword style "The Greatest" tries to teach his retainers how to use it, however, when he goes into detail about it he talks about Ryuo (Busoshoku) not Haoshoku.

Regarding the consistency of Lightning as an effect & it's color:
It's true that the consistency of lightning's color and what it indicates to regarding Haki etc can be inconsistent in the manga; for example Chinjao & Luffy's Hao clash was yellow lightning but in the same arc Doffy's and Luffy's Hao clash was Red&Black Lightning.

However the inconsistencies have more to do with when the colored volumes were released rather than them being inconsistent in general. The recent releases of volumes 96, 97 and 98 all came at the same time and thus are consistent (which we'll show).

Regarding the color of Busoshoku Haki usage which was brought up above, in the recent release of the volumes it's shown to be indicated by black & red lightning, the proof is the following:
Thus based on what we've seen it's more consistently shown that black & red lightning is an indicator of Busoshoku Haki usage in this set of volumes, and thus the Tougen Totsuka Oden used against Kaidou indicates Busoshoku Haki while a confirmed case of Haoshoku infusion between Roger and Whitebeard produced pure red lightning.

Conclusion:
So as brought up in the introduction Oden would have his Advanced Haoshoku rating removed in the Powers and Abilities section being replaced at the intermediate stage and in his Attack Potency section which could likely be replaced with "with Enma Unleashment" (as the feat was credited to Enma in it's introduction) just combined his Haoshoku Infusion feats with his regular rating assuming no one else has any other suggestions.
Nice👍👍👍

Alright this seems fine to apply then, I'll apply the accepted changes now.

Just noticed I missed this but his durability section says:
Prior to his prime, he took a Haoshoku Haki infused attack from Gol D. Roger and stood back up with minor injuries
This should be changed to Busoshoku Haki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back