• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Official Dragon Ball Continuities Citations

I'm confused. Did Toriyama call the Super Manga promotional material for the anime or not?

On another note, I added to the OP Toyotarou's interview acknowleding the Super Manga as the official sequel to the original Dragon Ball Manga.

Are there any other key quotes or interviews for me to cite from either side of the discussion?

Firestorm808

may you add these two quotes and links

[Toyotarō: Oh no… This whole time I was afraid of adding to your frustrations. Since the original story you give me is text, I constantly have your manga by my side as I draw. I don't want readers to say it doesn't feel like Dragon Ball… But at the same time, I also want to stretch my imagination and come up with brand new action and different kind of expressions.

Toriyama: Just go wild! I won't mind a bit (laughs).](http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translati...manga-vol-1-tori-toyo-interview-book-version/)

There's how, basically, Son Goku from Dragon Ball doesn't fight for the sake of others, but because he wants to fight against strong guys. So once Dragon Ball got animated, at any rate, I've always been dissatisfied with the "righteous hero"-type portrayal they gave him. I guess I couldn't quite get them to grasp the elements of "poison" that slip in and out of sight among the shadows. https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/03/27/new-interview-translations-akira-toriyama-special-talks/

AKM Sama showed me this link and this link. I think the second like is already posted, but both of them mention the Manga being mainly promotional tool for the Anime.

Looking at both articles, Neither Toriyama nor any other first party said anything about the manga being only promotional material for the anime.

"Dragon Ball Super" is a complete continuation of the Majin Boo story arc. It's got a bit of post-battle aftermath, continues with the "Battle of Gods" arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the "Revival of 'F'" arc where Freeza comes back to life, and then, I've written a strange new story where they finally depart from this universe. They're fighting against their neighbors, Universe 6! They'll yell at me if I give away too many spoilers, so I'll keep the rest a secret, but they're chasing after giant Super Dragon Balls; I think things will unfold in a bright and simple way, that will be really fun and exciting!

Since it's another universe, loads of new characters will turn up. I'll do my best to draw the tons of character designs necessary, so I'm looking forward to this too.

You know, it suddenly occurs to me that somewhere along the line the Dragon Ball anime has become quite a huge story. Since I'm the guy who drew the thing, it's a bit weird for me to say this, but when I first started out I never dreamed it would have a universe as a setting (laughs). Don't worry though, it's still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always. Please be sure to watch Dragon Ball Super on TV!

This segment basically says Super follows the canon manga though. That's what matters. He said Boo instead of Buu, which was an indication of the Manga and proves it's not connected with Toei since it's immediately after the Buu saga. The DBZ Anime was clearly designed to have GT follow it given the ending had Pan not being a baby, and ended with Uub sparring with Goku. Doesn't change the fact that Toriyama still says both versions follow the original manga.

The quote mentions that Super Anime follows the Boo story arc but that doesn't limit it to the Manga as the Anime had the same story arc. Manga is never mentioned. Later on in the quote, he even talks about how the Dragon Ball Anime story has become a huge story.

No, we are not cross scaling the original DBZ Anime with Dragon Ball Super. And it's not so much about revisions just about collecting sources.

The name Majin Bü is the same all throughout the Japanese Manga and Anime.

Manga: https://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/chp-460/

Ú¡öõ║║ÒâûÒéªÕç║þÅ¥Òüï´╝ü´╝ƒ

Majin Bü Shutsugen ka!?

Majin Boo Appears?!

DBZ: https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Magic_Ball_of_Buu

ÞºúÒü¿ÒüæÒüƒÕ░üÒüÁÒüåÕì░ÒüäÒéô´╝üÕç║ÒüºÒéïÒü×ÕçÂÒüìÒéçÒüåµé¬ÒüéÒüÅÚ¡öÒü¥õ║║ÒüÿÒéôÒâûÒéª

Toketa Füin! Deru Kyōaku Majin Bü!!

The Seal is Broken! Out Comes the Vicious Majin Boo!!

Super: https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/The_9th_Universe's_Kicking_Basil_vs._The_7th_Universe's_Majin_Buu!!

þ¼¼9Õ«çÕ«ÖÞ╣┤ÒéèÒü«ÒâÉÒé©Òâ½VSþ¼¼7Õ«çÕ«ÖÚ¡öõ║║ÒâûÒéª!!

Dai-Kyü Uchü Keri no Bajiru B─üsasu Dai-Nana Uchü Majin Bü!!

Universe 9's Kicker Basil vs Universe 7's Majin Boo!!

"Doesn't change the fact that Toriyama still says both versions follow the original manga."

Can you point out where this Toriyama quote is? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Because both Manga and Anime versions of Super are based on the Plot Outline in which the Plot Outline follows the Manga and not the Anime.

And it's also hinted by the fact that the personalities of Goku and Vegeta are based more on their manga versions. Speaking of Manga Vs Anime, there's also the fact that Saiyans don't seem to need oxygen to survive in the Anime, but they still do in the Manga. Which both versions of Super potray Saiyans as needed oxygen much like the original Manga.

Yes, they are based on the draft outline, but Toei has more than once ignored or changed what's in the outline for their anime story. If Toriyama makes a draft that follows his Manga, there's nothing stopping Toei from modifying the end story to match their anime which they publically state. "The draft is taken and expanded upon by Toei Animation and Toyotarō for their respective media. On occasion Toei also choose not to incorporate things from the outline into the anime, or change elements of it."

The other link doesn't say that the personalities are based on the Manga versions. They just make a comparison to Vegeta's character development in the manga. They even say that Toei does whatever it wants with the draft.

Takami: To start off with, Dragon Ball Super is based on Toriyama-sensei's "original draft." That's why it's not like the original stories that Toei Animation would make back with Dragon Ball Z. Instead, it's a question of how Toei Animation will depict the original draft which Toriyama-sensei came up with. The Universe Survival arc likewise started off with an original draft from Toriyama-sensei. This draft flat-out said "80 people fighting all in a jumble" (laughs).

Nakamura: It certainly does. It was like that when he died in the Majin Buu arc too; surprisingly, Vegeta is more family-minded than even Goku. In that sense, even in the original manga he's the character who's changed the most from when he first appeared.

I don't follow on that last item. Saiyans are shown needing to breathe in the anime just like the manga as shown in the Frieza fight and the Anime filler (Goku wearing a space suit). When were they portrayed as not needing to breathe?

Any luck finding that Toriyama quote?

Vegeta was able to breathe in outerspace in Saiyan saga of the Dragon Ball Z Anime. When he blew up a planet with a Galick Gun. Which such things don't exist in Super.

Also, you kind of missed the part were Takami outright states it's based on the original draft and that it's not like the original Dragon Ball Z Anime. Toriyama's draft is still following the original manga and not Toei's animation that had a bunch of original stories Toyiyama had like no involvement in.

The Vegeta scene is considered a plot hole because it was made early in the story. It doesn't represent the anime as a whole. Even the Manga had Vegeta about to destroy the Earth with him on it as if he would survive. The next filler had Goku in a space suit showing that he can't breath in space. The Vegeta Arlia scene was later officially retconned by Frieza in both media saying that Saiyans can't breath in space.

Isn't that statement only about the Universe Survival arc as on the whole it's contradicted by all the filler that Dragon Ball Super has that the Manga doesn't like Copy Vegeta among others?

https://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/dragon-ball-super

Copy Vegeta doesn't really hold significance one way or the other regarding the canonicity. Also, the (Toei) versions of Dragon Ball actually have Self sustenance type 1 on their profiles. Dragon Ball Z Anime is also full of fillers that connect them to the 13 movies and the last few episodes are literal presets for Dragon Ball GT. GT is clearly the same continuity as the DBZ Anime aka (Toei). But Super can't be related since Pilaf and his crew are kids again, Shin and Kibito split, 17's a Good Guy and is too strong for everyone in GT, and a whole bunch of other stuff. So it can't be a follow up to the original Anime rather than a follow up to the original Manga. And it's got too much stuff that debunk any connections to those 13 movies and GT.

@ByAsura Yo! Son Goku doesn't really fit in any part. Although Tarble is confirmed a canon character. There really isn't any connections to that movie in particular and the Broly movie implies that it never happened because it's implied Vegeta didn't know Tarble was alive.

Wait, why do the Toei Saiyans have Self Sustenance Type 1 if it was retconned by Frieza?

I'm not saying that Dragon Ball Super is connected to the Original Theatrical Films or GT, only the original anime episodes according to the official product descriptions.

SomebodyData and Dark649 I believe are the ones who, added those.

But, it can't be connected to the original Anime either because the original Anime is clearly connected to the movies; example, Garlic Jr saga. And Bardock the Father of Goku is canon to the original Anime; but that can't be canon to Super since Broly is canon to the Super Anime which has a different back story for everyone. Not to mention Gine doesn't even exist in the (Toei) continuity aka the original Anime episodes, so it's implied Fasha was Goku's mother. Gine is confirmed Goku's mother in all versions of DBS.

In regards to Garlic Jr, he is the only theatrical villain to be incorporated into the story of the Original Toei Anime. The rest of the theatrical film are more disjointed from the anime. This is especially true with the first broly movie taking place before the Cell Tournament. Broly destroys multiple solar systems, and Cell can destroy one solar system.

Bardock - The Father of Goku shouldn't be part of the original Toei anime as it was released on March 19, 2003, several years after the original anime ended.

If we look at only the Original Toei Anime and the heavily tied Dead Zone Movie, it should connect well with the Dragon Ball Super Anime.

Actually, Toei does confirm the TV specials are 100% canon to the Anime versions of Dragon Ball Z. So that makes connecting the original Anime to Super completely invalid. Also, Bardock first aired in 1990 in Japan.

Toei did? Can you point where I can find that quote so I can put it in the OP?

The original Anime portraying a Bardock getting killed by frieza in 1990 doesn't really contradict with anything in Super to my knowledge.

Not the part of him getting killed by Bardock, but the fact that Goku was forcefully sent to Earth to destroy Earth against Bardock's will as opposed to Bardock simply sending him there to save Goku, like what happens in the Super Continuity.

Wait, are we talking about the TV special or the original anime episodes? I'm referring to the anime episodes. Frieza just sees goku and flashes back to Bardock.

I couldn't find thd Toei and Toriyama quotes you mentioned previously.

Both actually. Both the original Anime episodes and Kai portray Goku's origin as "He was supposed to wipe out the population of Earth" until he hit his head and everything changed. The original Manga had none of that and wasn't elaborated till the new movie.

But it does happen in the manga.

Chapter 196:

Raditz: Has something on this world distracted you, Kakarot? Your duty was to exterminate this species. / Kakarot! What's with the condition of this planet? Your mission was to exterminate this species.

Except there, it's not stated someone other than Bardock sent him. Perhaps Vegeta unknowingly believed that was the reason, but not like he was just sent their by authorities against Bardock's will like in the Anime Continuity.

The original anime episodes and manga show why Goku got to earth at firat. Both media started with Goku being sent on a mission. It wasn't retconned until the new Broly Movie. I'm not referring to the TV specials as part of the original episodes. If we take the series at face value at the time of publication, both media started with the same reason Goku was sent to Earth.

At first, at the announcement of the TV series, Akira Toriyama said that Dragon Ball Super is the continuation of his story. Though he said that at the TV series announcement, he could have meant the story he was writing is the continuation. At that time, the manga only started as a promotional material evidenced by a short one for the RoF movie and a short BoG arc.

Later the story of the manga took its own turn and it was revealed through interviews that Akira Toriyama only writes the script of the story which is forwarded to both the toei staff and Toyotaro, where they fill in the blanks as they see fit.

Actually the official announcement regarding the manga had it only as the "manga version" of the anime.

"The July issue of Shueisha's V Jump magazine is revealing on Thursday that Toyotarō will launch a manga version of the upcoming Dragon Ball Super television anime series."

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...l-super-tv-anime-gets-manga-adaptation/.88276

"Anime News Network reports that the upcoming Dragon Ball Super TV series will receive a manga adaptation by Toyotarō, which will begin serialization in the August 2015 issue of V-Jump."

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/05/19/dragon-ball-super-to-receive-manga-adaptation-in-v-jump/

Aren't those all third-party statements? We talked about those earlier in the thread. What did the official publishers of Dragon Ball actually say?

The official publishers of DB never say anything related to the canonicity of DBS anime or manga in interviews. It doesn't matter for them. They probably gave that info only to Shueisha's V Jump for writing their news/article.

But they did according to my citations in the OP.

I don't think we should be using things from third party sources, as per the rules of this site.

Adem Warlock69 said:
Didn't c18 reference Maron (who's only in the anime) when c17 called Marron Maron? wouldn't that make Kai canon to Super?
When was this? Also, Maron didn't appear in Kai.

Edit: Is it this? This doesn't seem like enough proof, especially since 17 knew what her name was and the whole Maron thing took place before the Android Saga.

Back