• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Official Calculations Discussion Thread

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Use this thread for questions regarding how to perform calculations and related general information.

This includes asking for information regarding methods, real life data, and help when calculating feats.

All Calculation Group Members should preferably subscribe to it.

Last edited:
Watching.

So this is a place where people ask for methods in calculating a feat and what can be extracted as feats?
Say, for example, is my method in here, in here and in here legit?

Similarly, I'd like to ask people to check out my method here. I was told by knowledgeable people off-site that the logic behind higher or lower-dimensional calculations is correct, I'm just not sure if I applied it right considering how odd the results are.

Oh cool the thread is active. Well, I'm not that good with force calcs, so I have a question. During Stardust Crusaders, Star Platinum stops a truck from crashing with their car. I know that when two cars crashes, and if they were in opposite directions (as in, one in front of the other) the force of both is added. But how exactly am I supposed to get LS from this?
Based on the scan, it looks like Star Platinum stopped the truck before it could crash into them, so you'd just get the force of that car, as stopping a force completely requires a force of the same magnitude, just in the opposite direction.

Hmm, and the distance would be the distance Star Platinum moved his arm or something?

Based on the definition of work, it would actually be the distance Star Platinum tossed the car, as work is defined as the energy transfer when an object is displaced a certain distance.

So it'd be Star Platinum's force, which is the truck's force since Star Platinum can completely stop the truck, multiplied by the distance that it tossed the truck.

About this calculation:
  1. Why do I need to use GPE in an explicit speed feat? The Tidal Manta jumps to the bottom of the sea at high speed, and at the same moment a huge wave flies into the sky, normally the correct thing to do is to use KE and not GPE. Because well, we have the distance, density, volume, and we know it was very fast
  2. If KE is questionable, why would the shockwave method not work?
But how would I get force from KE?
You can calculate the KE and then divide by the distance of the movement apparently

About this calculation:
  1. Why do I need to use GPE in an explicit speed feat? The Tidal Manta jumps to the bottom of the sea at high speed, and at the same moment a huge wave flies into the sky, normally the correct thing to do is to use KE and not GPE. Because well, we have the distance, density, volume, and we know it was very fast
  2. If KE is questionable, why would the shockwave method not work?
For the shockwave method, well it's because it's not a shockwave, it's simply a large mass of water coming up.

As for GPE, it's because the total mass doesn't appear until the peak, since more water is coming up. Essentially, as more water comes up, the mass is going up (because there's more volume), so KE wouldn't be that accurate.

For the shockwave method, well it's because it's not a shockwave, it's simply a large mass of water coming up.
And this wave came about with the impact of a Tidal Manta. Don't we generalize things like this as a "shockwave" usually? I remembered something like this
As for GPE, it's because the total mass doesn't appear until the peak, since more water is coming up. Essentially, as more water comes up, the mass is going up (because there's more volume), so KE wouldn't be that accurate.
So isn't it simpler to use 1/4 in KE?

And this wave came about with the impact of a Tidal Manta. Don't we generalize things like this as a "shockwave" usually? I remembered something like this
I don't think so. I think that's just water being kicked up.

So isn't it simpler to use 1/4 in KE?
Where does 1/4 come from?

The issue isn't the speed, it's the mass. Because more water is coming up, the mass is what isn't constant, and by the time it hits the peak where it has its maximum mass, it has no speed.

Yes, and that was still not a good answer. GPE should also not be used, since the water is at high speed and so on. Also, if the mass is not constant, GPE is useless as far as I know

GPE is still the best option. Given the situation, KE is just strictly worse. When an object is at a max height, in that moment it has no speed, so you can't get KE.

If I calc freezing a moving train and stopping it because of the ice, should the KE be added to the ice creation? Or the KE would work normally for that?

If I calc freezing a moving train and stopping it because of the ice, should the KE be added to the ice creation? Or the KE would work normally for that?
I'm guessing the KE would work normally for that portion.

M3X is right, this thread is for stuff like asking how to go about calculating certain feats, for example.

About this. The character is question is Ghiacco, from JoJo. He states that is able to freeze a roaring train. Part 5 takes place in 2001 and in Italy, so I used this train.

So I just took the mass and speed and slaped a KE calc (ignore the first part, it's just some justifications for Jotaro's profile). About the freezing the train, as in, the area of the train etc etc, how do you guys think I should use considering this method?

Similarly, I'd like to ask people to check out my method here. I was told by knowledgeable people off-site that the logic behind higher or lower-dimensional calculations is correct, I'm just not sure if I applied it right considering how odd the results are.
Scale kinda gets screwed up is you approximate J/cc as J/cm^2, since then you’re essentially arbitrarily deciding that all things require the same energy to break as if they were a cm thick based solely on the fact that we happen to use cm as our standard unit on site.
Since you’re operating in such a small scale, rather than relying on values in J/cc form that rely on being able to fit in more molecules due to depth it might be best to directly approximate the number of atoms/molecules and calculate the energy to separate them. For instance, water molecules are held together by hydrogen bonds, which contain 4-13 kJ/ mol of bonds, or 6.64231152e-21 J to 2.15875125e-20 J per bond, and the nuclear binding energy of iron is 8.79MeV per atom, or 1.437e-12 J

Since you’re operating in such a small scale, rather than relying on values in J/cc form that rely on being able to fit in more molecules due to depth it might be best to directly approximate the number of atoms/molecules
How do you think I should do that?

The way water molecules bond to one another, the oxygen attracts two hydrogens, and the hydrogens each attract to one oxygen. When simplified to two dimensions, this causes them to form a pattern somewhat like brickwork. So you can effectively map the area covered by each molecule through length x (height + distance between molecules).
Since water’s an angled molecule, we can use that to find the height. Using the same source you found the size of water molecules in, the angle is 104.45 degrees.
Using an isosceles triangle calculator, with base angle of (180-104.45)/2 = 37.775 and base of 0.28 we can find the height to be 0.14725nm
Based on this the average distance between water molecules is 3.1 angstroms (0.31 nm)
So the area per water molecule would be around 0.28nm*0.45725nm = 0.12803nm^2, or 1.2803e-15cm^2
The minimum number of hydrogen bonds should be the number of water molecules minus 1.

For the picoscale, it’s smaller than an atom, but still larger than the nucleus of an iron atom. Since our subatomization is based on destruction of the nucleus, it might not be the best value to use here. Maybe using ionization energy might be better? Since the destruction is 19.6pm out of the 126pm of an iron atom, maybe you could assume it removed 15.55% of the electrons spread throughout (so, about 4)? I’m not confident in this method, but I think it makes more sense here than nucleus destruction. The energy of the first ionization from iron is 7.9024eV or 1.266104e-18 Joules. I tried to calculate later ones, but looking at my result I’m confident I used the equation wrong

Question

Would it be calc stacking to use the equivalent reaction speed of someone who has a stated speed?

For example.

Someone is canonically stated to move at the speed of lightning.
1/Speed of Lightning for reactions as a lowball since they have feats with even quicker reactions.

Someone blitzes them
Calc the distance they moved to blitz them.

Distance moved during blitz / (1/speed of lightning) = speed

Would that be calc stacking?

If it's explicitly stated and the statement is reliable it should be fine but it can lead to really high stuff so be careful when considering the result and all

If it's explicitly stated and the statement is reliable it should be fine but it can lead to really high stuff so be careful when considering the result and all
I'm of the same mindset. Was gonna say the same thing.

As long as the lightning stuff is canonically stated and all, and the timeframe fits and all depending on the context, yeah sure, run like hell.

Back