• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Odin Modern Key Addition

It's been brought to my attention that there is a big disparity between Odin's classic and modern power level, especially with regards to how he scales to the rest of Marvel as a whole. I was asked to make this thread so that everyone can decide whether it is necessary to make a Modern 4-B key for Odin separate from his Classic version. Discussion that prompted this thread to be made started here (ignore the subject of that thread as it is completely unrelated to the rest of this)

The arguments made in favor of this being made include:

Arguments made against this include

As stated above, this thread will mainly be used for everyone to give their input on whether not this addition is truly necessary, and what other changes will need to be made in relation to this.

I wouldn't call it writers being lazy, just that the general idea of how to treat Odin's position and power in the universe has shifted in more modern times. I say it's better to just give him two keys rather than treating him as a Tier 2 when he just isn't anymore.

I helped propose the idea of 4-B Odin in the first place, and he indeed has been portrayed as weaker than Tier 2 in modern times, so I agree with the second key.

Just because he he is potrayed weaker, doesn't mean he dropped 8 tiers without a single explanation except for WoG, which is a joke when it comes to Marvel Comics. It isn't like we never had outliers for characters like this, so Jane beating Odin is more PIS or CIS if anything.

This Modern Thor is at least potrayed as being significantly stronger than his base based on his current run, and Ultro using Odin's power was able to perform feats higher than a 4-B.

We have currently by far only used this Classic key concept for Doctor Strange, who had a very reasonable explaination for his power loss, and even then, the Modern Strange basically returned back to his initial Classic tier with his capabilities. Some other writer is hired who realizes "Oh wait, Character X was this powerful, I can probably write them like that again" and then writes him as such, so we shouldn't be using atleast a few writers at the time's showcasing, especially when literally like, no reason for it. As stated before, Teenage Spider-Man was a consistent 9-A but we never list him as such because future writers used to scale him from his modern incarnation, and qrote alotta different High 8-C feats with the teenage one, we're using the other side of PIS to justify why we're downgrading him, when like two writers disagree on it

Back