• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Non-canon profiles?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Should we allow profiles such as Time Breaker Bardock, and Time Patrol Trunks from the Xenoverse games?

We have traditionally tried to only allow original prominent characters, such as Demigra, but if we do allow the former two options, we should probably also logically allow a profile for Xenoverse Goku, and the like.

The obvious risk is that we get too many different versions of certain characters, to the point of being clutter, but then again, Superman already has that problem.

You can read here for further information:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Alternative_Canon_and_Composite_Profiles

My response copy and pasted from the other thread:

A tricky topic. I personally don't like non canon game profiles of canon characters, I feel it dilutes the canon material with the spinoff versions. However if it's a new never before seen character from the game I suppose I think that's ok

I just wonder if we should avoid double-standards, given how many versions of Superman that we have in this wiki. A Xenoverse Goku profile may not be all that bad.

I say keep them. Due to how popular Xenoverse is and the fact that it is its own expanded universe, it should be fine. I mean we have Dragon Ball GT files and DB Movie character files here as well not to mention Shin Budokai Janemba.

I feel like they're fine, as long as we don't further dilute things.

I guess I'm okay with TP Trunks and TB Bardock in that case. They play a big part in the story. Goku on the other hand, is just himself for the entirety until the very end.

I personally don't have any issue with having non-canon profiles, as long as the contents of the pages are justified and sound.

Okay, so we should allow a Xenoverse Son Goku profile then?

If everyone else is okay with that, then no problem. My points still stand, but I won't put up a fight if everyone else wants it.

I'm not. I see little point to it. The only difference is that he is stronger. And he isn't even the main character in story.

I personally disagree, if Xenoverse Goku profile will be created, there will be a big demand for a stronger goku profile (Which is Shin Budokai Goku) and then so on for every single character.

I don't really like it but methinks if they're extremely popular and has actual feats and not powerscalings that still depend on anime/manga/novel or whatever original source feats, then it's fine.

I agree with Matthew in that only versions of characters that are prominent and distinctive from the main canon should get profiles.

I have no issue if is related to notable original characters from Xenoverse, but I would disagree with repetitive characters like Trunks or Goku, they're already pretty featless in canon, they aren't supposed to be different in the game, there's no use to have another profile of them.

@Matthew Does the Alternative Canon and Composite Profiles page need a clarification regarding this, and if so, would you be willing to fix it?

Mmm, I will look it up. We should clarify that characters whose only distinction was that they are "Identical to Canon Character + More Powers" they shouldn't be made.

Time Breaker Bardock I find okay, and Time Patroller Trunks I'm neutral on.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Alternative_Canon_and_Composite_Profiles

4) Franchises which contain non-canonical spin-offs/movies/videogames, etcetera, each with their own continuities and feats, yet not to the extent that Marvel and DC Comics do, should only be allowed profiles for notable original characters from said spin-offs, and not alternate versions of canonical characters, unless they are very prominent and notable.

Ex: Main villains from Non-Canonical Movies of Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, One Piece and the like can be allowed profiles, yet most versions of Son Goku contained in games such as Xenoverse and Shin Budokai should not, as the only difference they hold from Canon Goku is in their power. However, given the prominence and popularity of Dragon Ball GT, alternative versions of Goku and Vegeta from this continuity have been allowed. If the alternate Non-Canonical version of a character is notable enough in it's different, containing their own feats, a different role and purpose, and a new design, then it's possible that profiles for them are created.

I also agree with Matt. As long as the alternative version is distinct enough in terms of role in the plot, design, etc., then it should be okay.

For example, Time Breaker Bardock plays a large role in the plots of both Xenoverse 2 and Dragon Ball Online, has a different design, personality and role in the story than he does in-canon, so he'd be safe to add.

But Xenoverse Goku only has the difference of being stronger, that's it. So thus he wouldn't be allowed.

In agreement to Matt and Ever's points. I never really have much of a problem with Non-canon profiles, but it definitely should be noted that we should not add profiles of canon characters if they are just stronger. If they were something else different about them other than being stronger like having a different and important role in the storyline, a different design from their and other stuff that Everlasting pretty much just said, i can accept them here.

But at the same time, i definitely don't want this wikia to be too littered with too many non-canon versions that are more or less the same character. Then again, we do that with Superman soooo.....

Anyways, those like Time Breaker Bardock from Xenoverse 2 seem to be pretty different enough going by the above so as long as the non-canon follows characters like that, they're good enough for me to put and stay on this wikia.

Should I fuse Overture Seiya with Regular Seiya, then? The only thing Overture has going is that the movie was meant as the canon continuation, but do to poor Box Office and reception it was scrapped. It's essentially canon Seiya in a future Arc that was scrapped.

I suppose that a separate key for Seiya might be a better option.

Late to the party, but I feel my opinion should be obvious. Xenoverse/DBO original characters (of note) are mostly fine because, while non-canon, they are at least prominent and well known, with their own levels of consistency.

Time Patrol Trunks plays a vastly expanded role to the canon Future Trunks, going a far different path than the canon one we see in super.

Time Breaker Bardock is far different from canon Bardock, as he had a far expanded role outside of his original timeline, unlike canon Bardock, who died when Frieza destroyed planet Vegeta.

Xenoverse Goku is literally just the main series Goku with the only difference being the fact he shows up at the end of two games to help you fight the final boss. Though, in the case of Xenoverse 1, it's possible to defeat Demigra before Goku even arrives through the crack in time, but that's beside the point.

I agree with your assessment.

Back