• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nightside: Bringing An Unknown Verse To Glory (Through Revisions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
Hello everyone.

As some of you may already know, I've been working on a "pet project" over the course of the last few months, separately from the Dark Tower/Stephen King revisions I've been putting my back into during the same time period. I've kept it mostly to myself (save for telling the occasional person here and there), but now, I'm ready to reveal it to the world.

That project...is the work of Simon R. Green.

We currently have a handful of profiles from this author's work, but we're going to be focusing on the characters from the series I've actually completed: The Nightside series. Said profiles can be found below:

John Taylor

The Jonah

Jessica Sorrow

Lilith (Greenverse)

As you'll notice, these profiles...suck. And that, my friends, is why I have brought you here today. In rereading the series and compiling every statement I have been able to find, I plan on not only fixing all four of these existing profiles, but creating a few new ones to accompany them.

Now unfortunately, there's no easy way around it; this series has more feats than most of you are going to want to read through at one given time. And while I would like to simply cut out as many of them as possible, the Pastebin entries I'm about to post are vital to what I plan on proposing for this revision. So bear with me here; if I could stand to collect all of this, I'm sure you can stand to read through it.

John Taylor
A very excruciating case due to being the main character of the series. I've collected all of John's feats and related statements in order of appearance, separating them into separate entries for each book:

Book 1

Book 2

Book 3

Book 4

Book 5

Book 6

Book 7

Book 8

Book 9

Book 10

Book 11

Book 12

As you can see (from even a cursory glance at what's written in these), John is capable of far more than what is currently written in his profile, and is in desperate need of an overhaul in pretty much every area.

The Jonah
Less to read here, as this character only appears in one book.

Billy Lathem, the Jonah

Not much to discuss in regards to this character, as he's a minor villain with only a handful of feats under his belt. However, his profile still needs a slight rewrite, as evidenced by the information above. The 9-C rating in particular is unfounded.

Jessica Sorrow
Another one with very little to actually read.

Jessica Sorrow, the Unbeliever

Like The Jonah, she is a minor character with very few actual showings and statements to her name. However, her ratings are entirely based on out-of-context information and need a revision in general. Some of the powers on her page are also false.

Lilith
This character...

I debated on separating all of Lilith's feats into separate entries, similarly to John. However, while she does have a lot of showings, she doesn't appear in nearly as many books as him, and thus the number of feats she has isn't quite as jawdropping as John's number of feats are. As such, all of her direct feats and statements have been organized in one place.

Lilith, the First Female

Not only is she in need of a desperate overhaul, but her statistics are the result of an absolutely astounding caliber of lowball. Her profile needs a complete rewrite from the ground up, and her justifications will need some major revising.

Which, of course, is a perfect bridge to the next part of this thread. That would be the verse's...

Cosmology
"Oh no..."

Yeah. There's no ignoring this one. The verse has a very clearly-defined cosmology within its setting, and it also ties into the ratings I'm going to be proposing for John and Lilith. I've compiled all of the relevant information in the following Pastebin entry:

Cosmic Beings and Overall Cosmology

There is a lot to see here (as tends to be the case with things like this), but the gist of it is as follows: Heaven and Hell exist beyond Limbo, a void where time and directions do not appear to exist, and where everything exists only as potential, or "ideas without form". Below Limbo is the Outside, an immaterial structure which exists outside of time and is made up of every higher dimension in the setting. Below the Outside, you have your typical 4-D space-time continuum, which (as seen in Lilith's entry) is confirmed to have infinite possible timelines within it. Below that is another portion of the Outside, which appears to house all of the lower-dimensional entities that are "less real" than what is contained within 3-D space. Angels originate from Heaven, Transient Beings (basically the living embodiments/personifications of the setting's concepts) originate from Limbo, and the Outsiders (cosmic horrors whose mere existence within material space can cause severe damage) originate from the Outside.

Remember the above as you move on to what I'm about to propose, as it is important.

Propositions
Sandboxes for each of the above characters have been linked below. They should serve as a perfect summary of the changes I wish to make:

John's Sandbox

The Jonah's Sandbox

Jessica's Sandbox

Lilith's Sandbox

For a TL;DR of the proposed tiers:

John Taylor: 9-B in his base key, with his powers rated at Unknow. At least 1-B, likely far higher in the key regarding the brief period where he was possessed by the angel Baphomet.

The Jonah: 10-B, as he has no physical showings and does not have evidence of scaling to anything notable.

Jessica Sorrow: Unknow across the board, as her nature and powers leave no room to tier her properly.

Lilith: At least 1-B, likely far higher for both her avatar and her true form.

If you have any questions regarding what has been proposed, I'll be more than happy to answer them. I've also erred to the side of caution in regards to some of these ratings, but if anyone feels as if there should be changes to the propositions, feel free to say so as well.

I'm still partial to "Possibly 1-A" considering the nature of Limbo and how Lilith's True Form sees concepts as nothing more then chalk and such, but, yeah, we've already talked about this a whole ton, so I'm fine with this.

it's honestly really hard to keep this to yourself when DMUA occasionally slips a word and you see suspicious shit going down in recent wiki activity.

Also if i'm on a list for this, DMUA should be on several for slipping it to me in the first place in Rogal Dorn vs Blue Beetle

double standard much smh

Because unlike you, he and his loose-lips were part of my plan.

Why do you think I told such a secret to a person I've know to have trouble keeping those?

I'm just going to post this for kicks

And then, while it was lumbering towards me, I fired up my gift and used it to find every possible manner in which the beast could die permanently, and from there it was the easiest thing in the world for me to bring all those possibilities rushing to the forefront. The lizard had only a moment to realize what was happening before its life abruptly ended in every possible way.
~ -Things That Won't Happe​

Edwardtruong2006 said:
was the recent wiki activity also part of your pla
...No, but close enough. Not like it didn't further my goals in the end anyway.

"Cocaine fever dream" is as perfect a description for this series as any other one I could have come up with.

After blazing through the links, i have to agree. There is a lot of work put into this, so good job King.

Also i blame DMUA for even knowing about this being a thing

To say nothing on Count Video.

How many more admin approvals should I wait for before I start making the changes to the profiles?

Pick and choose at your leisure. I'm sure you already have some ideas...

Would you be willing to help by reading through another connected series of twelve books that shares the same cosmology?

I'm relatively sure that in character, it's inconclusive at worst, Gerald's win at best

Flash freezing John by looking at him or summoning thousands of microscopic worms inside him also by looking at them happens at the same time or before John ports out Gerald's organs most likely

Out of the hundreds of things he's done, you're focusing on the thing he's only ever threatened to do?

Anyway, I think this is probably enough support. If nobody objects, I'm going to go ahead and make the changes.

It's the main lethal threat I've seen him swing around.

Also if he takes the time to find possibilities or Gerald's death or whatever then takes another thought to attack with it or snuff out the possibilities or whatever, that's two thoughts he's taking to kill Gerald, when Gerald freezes on the first thought

This is how fast John can use his gift in combat when he needs to:

I took his gun out of my pocket and offered it to him. He gaped at me for a moment, then snatched it from my hand and pointed it at me. As his finger tightened on the trigger, I took all the bullets out of his gun and let them fall from my open hand onto the floor, jumping and rattling noisily. Russell made a high, whining noise, and pulled the trigger anyway. When nothing happened, he threw the gun onto the floor and looked at me haughtily.
~ A Hard Day's Knight​
It's explained in Bride that his teleportation is just another application of his "finding" ability; him "finding" something, making a connection from one place to the other, and then moving it. So he basically found the bullets, made a connection and then moved the bullets in the time it took a guy's finger to tighten on a gun's trigger.

Anyway, that's unrelated to this thread. We can debate on it later.

Generally speaking, I see no problem. If I have a question, I might ask again in the thread.

But it is well researched so no complaints here.

Well everyone, the edits are done and the profiles are fully revised. I believe we're done here.

Happy matchmaking.

Power geyser this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back