• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New Considerations for Tiers 10-A and 9-C?

Hop_Hoppington-Hoppenhiemer

Username Only
VS Battles
Retired
Just a heads up for all reading: this is a little bit of a debate-worthy topic and some of what I am going to say could unintentionally invoke bad feelings. So be cautious when reading. Thank you.

So most people would fall into the realm of reality and we'd all sit at 10-B. However as some of us here are aware we aren't all nerds with neckbeards and beer guts, and thankfully we can acknowledge this untrue stereotype. Many users (and visitors) here are actual athletes, practioners of martial arts (shameless self-promotion), and body builders. Heck, some people are just naturally more gifted in their body than others, such as those that are abnormally tall, heavy, strong, thick and so on.

Most of these people would be great considerations and examples of what it would take for one to be above average for a person, correct? So I'd say a football player (likely a linebacker), most black belts, or that guy who looks twice your size at the gym are more than likely to fit into the 10-A category. But how much further would someone have to ascend to become 9-C? A combination of traits like extreme strength, fighting skills, durability, experience, and knowledge in general? Like this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariusz_Pudzianowski ? Or would that be too exaggerated of an example? Or is he more like a High 10-A?

This also makes me wonder other kinds of people who could qualify for Street level. For example: Most physically fit soldiers or police, high degree black belts, extremely gifted individuals, and those skilled in using weapons, perhaps?

Let me know what you all think about this, because I think the lines are tooo blurred and I've asked many people about this and would like a more concise answer than the vague Tier decription can offer.

Strongest punch ever recorded: 1008 joules

Deku softball throw: 1010.85 joules

I'm a bit iffy on this (came from OBD) but if this is to be believed, athletes who know how to throw their weight around could do it.

Gemmysaur said:
Strongest punch ever recorded: 1008 joules
Deku softball throw: 1010.85 joules

I'm a bit iffy on this (came from OBD) but if this is to be believed, athletes who know how to throw their weight around could do it.
Interesting, which would make the gap for the strongest of phyiscal human beings and Tier 9 not extremely wide. Especially considering improving medicine and technology.

I do not personally have particular ideas regarding how to precisely define the distinction between Athlete and Peak Human, and think that it might cause considerable problems if we draw a specific line.

Most members cannot exactly measure most action movie character limitations after all, and it would be hard to start a content revision, so regrettably we may have to trust individual judgements regarding this matter.

I am in agreement with the drawing a specific line thing.

How I see it however, Athlete = regular runners, Peak Human = Usain Bolt. Something to that effect.

Yes, but the problem is that SoyHop wants specific numbers, and then would likely have to start a wiki project to apply them, without any calculations regarding where to place the vast majority of the characters.

Well, I gave an example so he gets an idea on how not-so-wide the difference between the tiers. But yeah, specific numbers warrant headaches and headaches are bad for the health.

I'd rather we leave it vague personally.

Maybe athletes can be guys who are super good at one thing and peak humans are good at multiple things. That's how they're typically portrayed in comics and animanga.

Antvasima said:
Yes, but the problem is that SoyHop wants specific numbers, and then would likely have to start a wiki project to apply them, without any calculations regarding where to place the vast majority of the characters.
While I did imply I wanted stronger standards, I did not intend to suggest we should redo the system or place new numbers on the scale. We just need a less vague threshold.

Well, a less vague threshold than simply "Very Well-Trained Human" as Athlete, and "Olympic Level Training" as Peak Human, would mean specific numbers.

Antvasima said:
Well, a less vague threshold than simply "Very Well-Trained Human" as Athlete, and "Olympic Level Training" as Peak Human, would mean specific numbers.
I suppose you're right.

But can't we continue using Peak Human as the highest feasible recorded human feats, and disregard outliers like extremely gifted people, and use what almost everyone should be able to achieve at their peak? What do you think?

And 9-C is for anyone that is gifted enough to reach or surpass that threshold? I mean, we already use it, and it seems more sensible, and fair.

Thanks for responding.

I do not know. Close to truly peak human level, as in olympic level athlete, should probably be enough.

Yes. I have tried to make a minor clarification about this in the Tiering System page, and inserted Usain Bolt's speed record as a minimum for superhuman speed in the speed page.

Antvasima said:
Yes. I have tried to make a minor clarification about this in the Tiering System page, and inserted Usain Bolt's speed record as a minimum for superhuman speed in the speed page.
That makes perfect sense, since he's not only gifted and one of the most fit people in that regard, he, in a combat context, isn't Bruce Lee. So there's 3 kinds of speed, and maybe we can use Lee's or some high end notable real life fighters' skill as the bare minimum. Same with reaction speed.

Well, I do not know what those values would be.

Antvasima said:
Well, I do not know what those values would be.
Someone can calc that, otherwise I'll try to find something solid and reasonable myself.

For lifting and striking strength we have those values, but the people who hold those records likely won't be defeat most skilled soldiers or martial artists.

SoyHop said:
That makes perfect sense, since he's not only gifted and one of the most fit people in that regard, he, in a combat context, isn't Bruce Lee. So there's 3 kinds of speed, and maybe we can use Lee's or some high end notable real life fighters' skill as the bare minimum. Same with reaction speed.
How high do you think Bruce Lee's (I am assuming it is him you are talking about) supposed catching rice thrown in air with his hands rate at?

Or his supposed grabbing a quarter and swapping it with a penny from a normal person's hand closing into a fist?

@Gemmysaur
Wow. Not certain. It would be really quick, almost instant at a close distance, and this is not assuming they're predicting it, right? So that'd number (distance/time or something) would be the Peak Human standard.

Please stop multi-quoting each other, as it spams the page with text. Just use "@username" instead.

Back