• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New Ability - Burrowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Goku is so useless for his tier he wiki has to make up new hax just to make him viable in tier 2

Not necessarily, that might be the case for Goku, but most characters are naturally or artifically adapted to do it, using claws or drills, while others in the same setting aren't able to replicate it despite having the same ap. It's also pretty common and used for mobility, just like Flight.

So can Goku get burrowing? I think it's an amazing addition to his already robust selection of hax.

In all seriousness though, I do think this is more so an application of AP and/or earth manipulation, I don't think it's noteworthy enough to add as a whole new ability IMO.

It's more like characters being able to swim on land, and plenty of characters can use fast paced underground travel and burrowing to their advantage.
Yes. But it's still just shifting ground. Or destroying it, in some cases. Which is covered by stats, not abilities. This is little more than an application of Superhuman Physical Characteristics and shouldn't be a power, since all it really serves to do is demonstrate that, my yes, a character can dig. And inflate P&A sections, of course.

Not everyone who has AP does burrowing tho....still a very specific ability, like acrobatics.
Nosir. Not everyone who has an attack potency digs, you are entirely correct. But if you'd like to explain to me why the High 6-A (just an example, of course) couldn't just start bashing the ground to burrow, I'd love to hear the explanation.

Nosir. Not everyone who has an attack potency digs, you are entirely correct. But if you'd like to explain to me why the High 6-A (just an example, of course) couldn't just start bashing the ground to burrow, I'd love to hear the explanation.
Not in character for any number of reasons...
Maybe they never considered it, maybe they wouldn't like to, maybe they lack the finnesse and maneuvering ability to pull it off tactfully.

Not in character for any number of reasons...
Maybe they never considered it, maybe they wouldn't like to, maybe they lack the finnesse and maneuvering ability to pull it off tactfully.
The ability isn't an ability if the only restriction of it is whether the character chooses to do it, lad.

We don't give people an ability for the ability to walk or breathe oxygen. Nor should we give them one for this.

The ability isn't an ability if the only restriction of it is whether the character chooses to do it, lad.

We don't give people an ability for the ability to walk or breathe oxygen. Nor should we give them one for this.
That is fair...
Maybe it should just be mentioned under notable techniques section of character profile of relevant character who use it.

TBH I get Bambu's concerns but I definitely think this power works.

The AP thing is valid but you could easily make the same argument for applications of Vibration Manipulation (specifically shockwaves) as just being AP and the burrowing is typically portrayed as it's own ability when it comes up.

It reminds me of parkour and the whole issue of whether it should be superhuman characteristics rather then it's own ability.

I agree with Bambu, also I’d like to mention that some people being unable to burrow while still having the AP to do so could be due to various things like AoE or how they have the AP so

Mr. Bambu makes some good points.

What do the rest of the staff here think about them?

Bambu is absolutely correct that this isn't necessarily an ability per say, since anyone with high enough AP can dig their way through the earth. Hell, a lot of characters choose to do so to mix up their standards combat tactics, such as Naruto upon fighting Neji in the Chunin Exams.

That's the thing though. They choose to do so. While anyone with high enough AP can dig into the earth, not very many characters actually choose to do so and implement it into their combat strategy. And as Andy said, the ability to dig into the earth is also oftentimes an outside ability as well. Think Naruto again, and the "Earth Style, Headhunter Jutsu," where someone emerges from the earth to grab someone and essentially bury them up to their neck, or as the picture example I gave shows, the Yellow Wisp acting as a power-up for Sonic to activate his Drill Form. Alternately, Kirby and his Animal copy ability or a wide variety of Pokémon with the Dig move.

Overall, this falls into the same category of abilities as others such as Acrobatics or Social Influencing, abilities that many characters can do, but only a few do it well enough to such a notable extent to be eligible to have it noted.

Bambu does make solid points, however, saying anyone with enough AP should logically be able to dig through the ground is like saying anything with good enough speed should logically be able to run on water, or anyone with movement speed surpassing 20000 m/s, an AP of High 8-C (Could be higher or lower depending on mass of target) and appropriate lifting strength required to jump that high can naturally exit the Earth's atmosphere simply by jumping. This appears to be a rather common ability similar to surface scaling. And not everyone with the AP and speed required to do so make use of it as creatively as most characters who both casually and creatively burrow themselves underground or move around inside the solid dirt as easily as a Dolphin swims in the Ocean.

So we might call it something else, but instead of a simple being able to burrow themselves, maybe we should call it underground maneuverability or something.. It's a natural environment type of ability rather than a common technique.

Not really against the addition of the ability, and saying that anyone with certain AP can dig its kind of wrong in the same way that saying that someone with 8-B can slice one skyscraper with one attack or that someone with superhuman strength can perform high jumps; even if theorically having super strength allows someone to jump very high, if the character has no feats it will simply assumed he can't perform superhuman jumps, so someone with high AP wouldn't be assumed to be able to dig but simply choose to not.

He isn't really, I wouldn't even call dragon ball characters anywhere on the top 10 for weakest tier 2 tho
DBS Goku had to go Super Saiyan to Burrow better, rather, Burrow without punching?

Last edited:
Saitama has all the useless powers, AP only goes so far when pretty much the entire tier your in haxes you to death lol
It’s something. Most characters don’t show off their Haxes to opponents that “swim” underground.

We probably have sufficient approval to add this ability now, but should preferably wait a bit for Bambu, out of respect and sense of fairness.

Yes. I will wait for Bambu just in case he wishes to say anything else. I will upload the Power when this thread concludes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back