• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nasuverse’s Continuity

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said in my earlier comment, this part here actually doesn't exist in the Japanese version of the text, and is exclusively something thrown in by localization. This excerpt is just the localization of what Shadow already posted, which has lines outright not found in the original text
To being fair, it seems to more akin to adding on the original text as in the original text or rewording :
Thusly, the civilizations of the many extant Adjacent Realities largely refrain from divergence.
You can imagine it as a great tree.
The worlds permitted to advance are restricted to the center -- comprising the trunk.
Those branches that diverge grow and multiply, but eventually succumb to their limitations (限界, Genkai),
falling to ruin without reaching a future.

You understand, yes?
Those worlds that advance too far into ruin or prosperity
are bankrupt of Adjacent Realities / Branching Potential (平行世界 / かのうせい, heikou sekai / kanousei).
Otherworlds (異世界, Isekai) such as these are little more than blind alleys / dead routes (袋小路 / デッドルート, fukurou-kouji / deddo ru-to) whose outcomes are foreordained.

The time of the culling
brings a termination to unnecessary possibilities --
the point at which, by force of Observation (観測, Kansoku), the mutable Histories of the past solidify as a static course.
This is what the Magi of the Old World (旧世界, Kyuusekai) referred to as Phenomenon Anchoring Bands (事象固定帯, Jijou Kotei-Tai) --
the Foundations of the Rationalities of Man (人理定礎, Jinri Teiso).
Which also use the many in this case so I am admittedly curious if they decide to reword that part in the localization rather than it not being found in the original text.
But that is my opinion on the matter. The FGO has me more intrigued again though.

It mentions it to say there are unlimited possibilities, and then explains what the actual issue is. It talks about the unlimited worlds, before then going "however, here's what is the issue". If the issue was the number, it would have said that, there wouldn't have been a however, they'd simply have said that the number can't get too high, but it starts off saying there's already unlimited.

As I said in my earlier comment, this part here actually doesn't exist in the Japanese version of the text, and is exclusively something thrown in by localization. This excerpt is just the localization of what Shadow already posted, which has lines outright not found in the original text
My apologies for doing a two replies to this one, but this part “However, as the unrestricted propagation of this process would exhaust the lifespan of the universe, at set intervals, those extraneous worlds routes ( 世界ルート, sekairu-to?) removed of the category of "routes characterized by survivability and stability" are culled (伐採, basai, lit. "cull" / "prune"), so as to prevent the needless expenditure of energy” as it mentions the process will exhaust the lifespan of the universe ie. shortening the lifespan of the universe so the universe can end thanks to that said process.
After all, the “however” part is after the unlimited possibilities and numerous worlds statement, not before it.

Wait, since I will also will add in the same sentence, it mentions the numerous worlds after the infinite possibilities part so that I not sure if the interpretation you (Paul) using is 100% accurate and as such, I will say this.

We can not ignore the words like “Numerous worlds” and “Many Worlds” as quite frankly I do think the issue is more akin to interpretation of the same info being provided as from my point of view , the process involves the culling of worlds in order for the universe to keep on existing, but I will stress I will need to think about the other statements.

My apologies for doing a two replies to this one, but this part “However, as the unrestricted propagation of this process would exhaust the lifespan of the universe, at set intervals, those extraneous worlds routes ( 世界ルート, sekairu-to?) removed of the category of "routes characterized by survivability and stability" are culled (伐採, basai, lit. "cull" / "prune"), so as to prevent the needless expenditure of energy” as it mentions the process will exhaust the lifespan of the universe ie. shortening the lifespan of the universe so the universe can end thanks to that said process.
After all, the “however” part is after the unlimited possibilities and numerous worlds statement, not before it.
Which is precisely why in one of my earlier comments, I noted that the way the Japanese version is worded would imply that the part which takes energy is the unlimited growth of worlds being allowed to continue unchecked, rather than any number of them being the issue.

Wait, since I will also will add in the same sentence, it mentions the numerous worlds after the infinite possibilities part so that I not sure if the interpretation you (Paul) using is 100% accurate and as such, I will say this.

We can not ignore the words like “Numerous worlds” and “Many Worlds” as quite frankly I do think the issue is more akin to interpretation of the same info being provided as from my point of view , the process involves the culling of worlds in order for the universe to keep on existing, but I will stress I will need to think about the other statements.
What part of the interpretation would this make false? There being infinite worlds because it mentions numerous as well, despite saying possibilities=world, and infinite worlds both in this game and in other parts? I'll note that what it says is numerous are adjacent worlds, rather than just parallel ones, while both are born of possibilities and thus actually infinite, there are some vague differences between adjacent and parallel which is just, never addressed again.

Adjacent ones for instance, are what Archimedes can slide through, and abuses to try and get his weird desired outcome. They state that the capacity to produce adjacent worlds is what determines the right of a world to exist and not be culled, and they differentiate them by saying that parallel worlds run parallel with no relationship of divergence, unlike adjacent worlds which progress adjacent to eachother.

Adjacent ones for instance, are what Archimedes can slide through, and abuses to try and get his weird desired outcome. They state that the capacity to produce adjacent worlds is what determines the right of a world to exist and not be culled, and they differentiate them by saying that parallel worlds run parallel with no relationship of divergence, unlike adjacent worlds which progress adjacent to eachother.
Simplifying.
Adjacent worlds are worlds that one (a possibility) may end up as another. They are ''the same'', in the sense one can end up as another. From this, no adjacent worlds = only one possible future = bye bye.
Parallel are worlds that, while maintaining the Cornerstones, are in some way too different to end up as the same.

What part of the interpretation would this make false? There being infinite worlds because it mentions numerous as well, despite saying possibilities=world, and infinite worlds both in this game and in other parts? I'll note that what it says is numerous are adjacent worlds, rather than just parallel ones, while both are born of possibilities and thus actually infinite, there are some vague differences between adjacent and parallel which is just, never addressed again.

To being frank, I will mention that numerous worlds ≠ infinite possibilities in this case as infinite possibilities is being used to described the form of having no limit in time and/or space for that matter while numerous world can been and has mean many worlds rather than infinite numbers of worlds. However, I think we both know that this will implies the universe is actually putting a limit on the amount of worlds it can create rather than it being outright infinite number of worlds.

Also just out of curiosity, why is possibilities being treated as being equated to worlds when we also know they are both used in the same sentence and might not necessarily been used interchangeably in this case?

Also just out of curiosity, why is possibilities being treated as being equated to worlds when we also know they are both used and might not necessarily been used interchangeably in this case?
This has been said multiple times and for some reason this misundertanding stand. At this point, the answer is "No idea."

To being frank, I will mention that numerous worlds ≠ infinite possibilities in this case as infinite possibilities is being used to described the form of having no limit in time and/or space for that matter while numerous world can been and has mean many worlds rather than infinite numbers of worlds. However, I think we both know that this will implies the universe is actually putting a limit on the amount of worlds it can create rather than it being outright infinite number of worlds.
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. It says numerous worlds in reference to adjacent ones, and also specifies unlimited possibilities, while later in the same part of the game (the Altera prologue) they state that possibilities is what causes parallel worlds to exist which is why the lack of possibilities means no more parallel worlds, and it gets culled
Also just out of curiosity, why is possibilities being treated as being equated to worlds when we also know they are both used and might not necessarily been used interchangeably in this case?
They're almost exclusively used interchangeably, in fact, I can't really think of a single case that would lead to the assumption they aren't. Even the same Altera Route prologue, as I said, specifically says that possibilities are what create parallel worlds, the stuff from FSN that says that as well, FGO, etc.

There's a large amount of locations which say possibilities, but like, none of them I can think of would have any reason to not assume the already established "possibilities=worlds"

There's a large amount of locations which say possibilities, but like, none of them I can think of would have any reason to not assume the already established "possibilities=worlds"
You are saying Musashi's Empyrean Eye destroys infinite worlds but one?

Yes? It shaves off all the possible worlds stemming off the moment she's in in the fight, which would all result from different things happening in the fight, and confines it to a single one, or in the upgraded version, can make an impossible one. It uhh, actually directly says this even

You might as well say that this is an extremely unique set of mystic eyes, which confines the naturally infinite futures into “just a single” result.

Are you implying that this is far fetched to you even when considering what Zero is and does.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. It says numerous worlds in reference to adjacent ones, and also specifies unlimited possibilities, while later in the same part of the game (the Altera prologue) they state that possibilities is what causes parallel worlds to exist which is why the lack of possibilities means no more parallel worlds, and it gets culled

They're almost exclusively used interchangeably, in fact, I can't really think of a single case that would lead to the assumption they aren't. Even the same Altera Route prologue, as I said, specifically says that possibilities are what create parallel worlds, the stuff from FSN that says that as well, FGO, etc.

In the same Fate Extella Prologue, it does also mention many realities in and I don’t think I see the infinite possibilities in there. The infinite possibilities you mentioned is in the Fate Extella mats regarding how Quantum Time Lock works and by extension, the pruning mechanism.
Basically, I saying infinite possibilities ≠ infinite worlds if it is explicitly mention the numerous worlds and many realities part too.

Admittedly though, I am pretty tired, but oh well.

Edit: Also fair enough about the possibilities = worlds part.

In the same Fate Extella Prologue, it does also mention many realities in and I don’t think I see the infinite possibilities in there.
It says unlimited possibilities in JP, it's the thing Shadow posted
The infinite possibilities you mentioned is in the Fate Extella mats regarding how Quantum Time Lock works and by extension, the pruning mechanism.
It's also part of the prologue you're quoting, this is all describing the same thing in any case, as that's what the prologue is describing, it's just talking about branching and QTLs etc
Basically, I saying infinite possibilities ≠ infinite worlds if it is explicitly mention the numerous worlds and many realities part too.
It does mention numerous worlds and realities yes, and it mentions this after possibilities correct, however the prologue excerpt also specifically says

Those worlds that advance too far into ruin or prosperity are bankrupt of Parallel Worlds (above this it says Branching Potential, I just can't copy paste that part)
It also right before this part says that it only maintains those worlds capable of having those possibilities. So it's saying that the possibilities being able to exist is what makes the worlds, that's their branching potential, which the Otherworlds (dead ends) lack

It says unlimited possibilities in JP, it's the thing Shadow posted

It's also part of the prologue you're quoting, this is all describing the same thing in any case, as that's what the prologue is describing, it's just talking about branching and QTLs etc

It does mention numerous worlds and realities yes, and it mentions this after possibilities correct, however the prologue excerpt also specifically says

It also right before this part says that it only maintains those worlds capable of having those possibilities. So it's saying that the possibilities being able to exist is what makes the worlds, that's their branching potential, which the Otherworlds (dead ends) lack
Hmmm I like to note since it mentions possibilities = worlds part, wouldn’t that make it so it is possibilities = worlds = realities in this case?
Because the many realities part is basically saying there is many worlds and many possibilities rather than infinite…. My head does in fact hurt after this.

“Thusly, the civilizations of the many extant Adjacent Realities largely refrain from divergence.
The worlds permitted to advance are restricted to the center -- comprising the trunk.
Those branches that diverge grow and multiply, but eventually succumb to their limitations (限界, Genkai),

You understand, yes?
are bankrupt of Adjacent Realities / Branching Potential (平行世界 / かのうせい, heikou sekai / kanousei).
Otherworlds (異世界, Isekai) such as these are little more than blind alleys / dead routes (袋小路 / デッドルート, fukurou-kouji / deddo ru-to) whose outcomes are foreordained.”

Isn't it explicitly said the thing that ''uses resources'' is the Branching? Conservation of Phenomena and etc.

Hmmm I like to note since it mentions possibilities = worlds part, wouldn’t that make it so it is possibilities = worlds = realities in this case?
Because the many realities part is basically saying there is many worlds and many possibilities rather than infinite…. My head does in fact hurt after this.

“Thusly, the civilizations of the many extant Adjacent Realities largely refrain from divergence.

You understand, yes?
Otherworlds (異世界, Isekai) such as these are little more than blind alleys / dead routes (袋小路 / デッドルート, fukurou-kouji / deddo ru-to) whose outcomes are foreordained.”
I don't entirely understand, but possibility=world=reality is in fact correct, however them saying the many this time rather than infinite or unlimited doesn't really discount the earlier statements in the same exact excerpt.

They can't just keep using the exact same word to describe the number, that's like, writing 101, don't just mindlessly shove the same exact word into the reader's face when you've already made all the connections you need.

They've said unlimited for possibilities, established possibilities=worlds and worlds=realities, so they don't need to then repeat infinite or unlimited as the adjective for worlds as well

Isn't it explicitly said the thing that ''uses resources'' is the Branching? Conservation of Phenomena and etc.
That is a way to interpret it yes, I mentioned this above, that the way the Japanese version is worded implies the branching itself is what consumes energy, rather than the amount of worlds, and thus there is no actual limit on the amount to disprove infinite, as that's already an established number, and what's being said to take up energy isn't the number, but the branching being allowed to happen without being controlled (i.e wasted on worlds that would have no branches themselves)

Moving back to the point of this thread though, I'm not entirely sure how the amount of universes would affect cross entry scaling in any case, with the outright connections shown, or stated in and out of verse it's like, the only ones that can really be argued to not be connected are DDD and Canaan, the rest are either outright confirmed as connected to eachother, shown as something which is confirmed as connected to something else, or in FGO which is connected to literally everything right now

I think so… Oh ninja’d.
I don't entirely understand, but possibility=world=reality is in fact correct, however them saying the many this time rather than infinite or unlimited doesn't really discount the earlier statements in the same exact excerpt.

They can't just keep using the exact same word to describe the number, that's like, writing 101, don't just mindlessly shove the same exact word into the reader's face when you've already made all the connections you need.

They've said unlimited for possibilities, established possibilities=worlds and worlds=realities, so they don't need to then repeat infinite or unlimited as the adjective for worlds as well
I mean unlimited possibilities part is true, but I think my confusion stems on the fact many realities and numerous worlds part is what throwing me off as it is basically saying it is a finite multiverse rather than a infinite multiverse in my point of view as possibility being described in the prologue:

It's probably difficult for you to envision.
After all, it's impossible for humans to even perceive "the Boundaries Between Worlds" (世界の壁, Sekai no Kabe) -- much less what lies beyond.
So, how about I rephrase?
Worlds that run adjacent are essentially as "possibilities."

Conclusions that may be possible.
Bonds that were abandoned.
Options that went unnoticed.
Divergent futures, wherein "what ifs" such as these were permitted.
It is indeed these "realities in which the future was altered" that are referred to as Adjacent Worlds.

The you who is now alive --
By the actions of the you who exists here and now, the course of the World can shift in any number of ways.
This is proof that "possibility" (可能性, kanousei) is itself still alive;
positive evidence that your World still lies upon its "proper axis" (正しい軸, Tadashii Jiku?).”

That is a way to interpret it yes, I mentioned this above, that the way the Japanese version is worded implies the branching itself is what consumes energy, rather than the amount of worlds, and thus there is no actual limit on the amount to disprove infinite, as that's already an established number, and what's being said to take up energy isn't the number, but the branching being allowed to happen without being controlled (i.e wasted on worlds that would have no branches themselves)
The problem is that the branching possibility is the same thing as the adjacent worlds existing themselves, LITERALLY. They are given as ruby text of one another. You are taking them as two different things with no link. The idea of infintie worlds also doesn't explain either the conservation of phenomena nor the audition of the average value done so as to do the culling process - which is the center of the idea of Quantum Time Locks existence, to create something stable on the instability that is a time axis. It just completely forgets all the details of Quantum Time Locks and exaplins the surface of the idea.

I think so… Oh ninja’d.

I mean unlimited possibilities part is true, but I think my confusion stems on the fact many realities and numerous worlds part is what throwing me off as it is basically saying it is a finite multiverse rather than a infinite multiverse in my point of view as possibility being described in the prologue:
To add to that - even if the possibilities themselves are unlimited, we know some things are ''somewhat fixed'' as things that HAVE to take place, and that are, by Counter-Force, ''directed so as to take place'', Locks. Possiblities may be infinite, things that ''are'', if this can be even said, are limited, some defined or enforced by Coutner-Force.

Worlds=Realities doesn't follow. Worlds of the same tree all exist within one Human Order, given they share Locks. The thing gets strange with Artur (male) and Illyaverse, with the idea of two different Time Trees and I don't remember enough of that to talk about it.

The whole thing about Quantum Time Locks, the problem of culling and etc is explained referencing a universe/dimension. If they were one reality for each, that problem wouldn't even exist in the first place.

Last edited:
The problem is that the branching possibility is the same thing as the adjacent worlds existing themselves, LITERALLY. They are given as ruby text of one another.
Branching Potential is given as the ruby text for Parallel worlds yes. That part of it explains that the branching potential is the ability to have possibilities which produce worlds still.
You are taking them as two different things with no link. .
This however, is because the action of branching and the parallel worlds aren't the same. What is being said to take energy is the action, the branching process, the creation of the worlds, not the potential of the worlds to branch, you're connecting the wrong parts together. You're currently saying that adjacent worlds=potential to branch=takes energy, but what is said to take energy in the quote isn't the potential, it's the actual branching.
The idea of infintie worlds also doesn't explain either the conservation of phenomena nor the audition of the average value done so as to do the culling process - which is the center of the idea of Quantum Time Locks existence, to create something stable on the instability that is a time axis. It just completely forgets all the details of Quantum Time Locks and exaplins the surface of the idea.
This part also doesn't make sense. You're basically saying that infinite worlds doesn't work with the idea that worlds that are too different are culled yeah? But like, why would that be the case? Given the infinite amount we've been told, if they branch out too far (in ways where no more possibilities can exist), those Otherworlds are culled. Let's say they cull 700 billion of them marked for deletion or something.

Infinite-anything=infinite. The idea of culling doesn't at all disprove the infinite amount stated before, during (in the prologue itself), and after this prologue was written. If what takes energy is the actual act of continuing to make worlds, then the explanation given that the worlds that are culled are the dead end ones makes sense.

They say that the world doesn't want to waste energy on producing dead end worlds, as those worlds wouldn't make more, so them being made would be a pointless thing. None of this at all conflicts with an infinite amount existing though, for the reasons I said above.
I think so… Oh ninja’d.

Yeah idk what to tell you then, at this point it'd be me repeating the same things I've already said because we've been going for like 10+ posts over the exact same quote. They're simply not repeating infinite, as it is bad writing to repeat the same word over and over again, and so, after establishing the amount as unlimited, and the connections to show that world=possibilities=realities, they branched into using other words to describe the quantity, so as to not be super repetitive in the already boring exposition dump.

Yeah idk what to tell you then, at this point it'd be me repeating the same things I've already said because we've been going for like 10+ posts over the exact same quote. They're simply not repeating infinite, as it is bad writing to repeat the same word over and over again, and so, after establishing the amount as unlimited, and the connections to show that world=possibilities=realities, they branched into using other words to describe the quantity, so as to not be super repetitive in the already boring exposition dump.
I was using the interpretation used in a different thread so there is that.

Also fair enough on the redundancy part although I like to offer something else.

“Infinite-anything=infinite. The idea of culling doesn't at all disprove the infinite amount stated before, during (in the prologue itself), and after this prologue was written. If what takes energy is the actual act of continuing to make worlds, then the explanation given that the worlds that are culled are the dead end ones makes sense.”

Technically one can argue that infinity - anything = infinite may not been a fool proof idea if a universe wants to cull it to make it more manageable ie. Making it a finite amount of worlds rather than infinite worlds although that dwells more into assumptions as I believe there were no such cases where infinity being subtract by infinity being a thing as it is a contradiction rather than outright proof of infinity ngl.

At least, in a mathematical sense anyway.

Branching Potential is given as the ruby text for Parallel worlds yes. That part of it explains that the branching potential is the ability to have possibilities which produce worlds still.
You are forgeting the beginning, how the ''layout'' we are talking about was created (and to even say the choice creates something is already to buy in the logic of Universe of Observation, which can't be related to the things we are talking about). The Adjacent Worlds are themselves the Branching Potential. The existence of the Adjacent Worlds, Worlds similar enough and close enough to the one we are talking about, is the manifestation of the fact that exist the possibility of someone's actions affecting said World's time axis so as to change something.

-- Divergent futures, wherein "what ifs" such as these were permitted. It is indeed these "realities in which the future was altered" that are referred to as Adjacent Worlds. This is proof that "possibility" (可能性, kanousei?) is itself still alive; positive evidence that your World still lies upon its "proper axis" (正しい軸, Tadashii Jiku?). In converse: For those Worlds wherein the act of choice can no longer impact the future, Adjacent Worlds cannot exist. --

This is further reinforced by the notion of what World's are to be culled.

-- Otherworlds (異世界, Isekai?) such as these are little more than blind alleysdead routes (袋小路デッドルート, fukurou-koujideddo ru-to?) whose outcomes are foreordained. The time of the culling brings a termination to unnecessary possibilities -- the point at which, by force of Observation (観測, Kansoku?), the mutable Histories of the past solidify as a static course.--

The possibilities are already there, set. If one of them was a dead end, it's done. This possibility which would end in a dead end is culled so as to not **** with the growth of Humanity, cause it has to ''prosper'' as given by Alaya's prerrogative AND ''exist for as long as possible'' so as to follow Gaia's. This also show how possibilities are different from set reality. There is an Event that does the solidifying of the course of History, which is done after the dead ends are culled.

Will answer the rest in a bit, gotta do some work here.

This however, is because the action of branching and the parallel worlds aren't the same. What is being said to take energy is the action, the branching process, the creation of the worlds, not the potential of the worlds to branch, you're connecting the wrong parts together. You're currently saying that adjacent worlds=potential to branch=takes energy, but what is said to take energy in the quote isn't the potential, it's the actual branching.
The Branching Process is actually never said to be the creator of the World. Even Musashi, for example, cannot create a new possibility at first, only limit the existing ones to a specific result.

Now, let me correc one thing that was really confusing in my post. The process of culling itself was never about ''we have X, we use Y to do something". Culling happens because existence apparently is/produces ''data'' and the Dimension itself isn't an infinite HD. (Malignant Information, if someone has played/read the Tsukihime-related things, will problably remember Tatari and ''the problem that is human's creating bullshit concepts'')

-- That is to say, the ceaseless proliferation of Parallel Worlds may eventually exceed the capacity of the Dimension as a whole.Parallel Worlds are a necessary existence, but they cannot be let to freely multiply. It's a very rough estimation, but should the Earth persist at its present level of civilization for another century, it's likely that the Solar System will collapse.

However, the reality is that we live and multiply. The Solar System hasn't yet dissolved (緩和, kanwa?, lit. "loosen / relax / alleviate") before the sheer volume of data that we produce, and it's likely that the status quo (今の方式, ima no houshiki, lit. "the present formulation / system"?) can be sustained for another hundred million years. --

I have to remember here Gaia's ''rule'' - EARTH HAS TO EXIST FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. At the same time, Alaya's make sure Human's multiply and prosper. Given it's the Counter-Force, the sum of these two, that manages this, it only makes sense how it deals with such process: Conservation of Phenomena, that is, only possibilities that allow for the continuation of the World while Humans are not stagnant are allowed.

The use of the word energy comes from:
-- Unfortunately, this isn't the case. The energy to account for the proliferation of unnecessary worlds, exists nowhere within this Dimension (次元, Jigen?). --

The next phrases explain what's the problem (the lines above). This line is actually strange is Kanji. It's meaning is something alongs the line that the Dimension/Universe can't spend so as to increase this ''mistake''. The proper interpretation would require someone more versed in Moon Runes.

This part also doesn't make sense. You're basically saying that infinite worlds doesn't work with the idea that worlds that are too different are culled yeah? But like, why would that be the case? Given the infinite amount we've been told, if they branch out too far (in ways where no more possibilities can exist), those Otherworlds are culled. Let's say they cull 700 billion of them marked for deletion or something.
This has been addresed indirectly already I guess.

Infinite-anything=infinite. The idea of culling doesn't at all disprove the infinite amount stated before, during (in the prologue itself), and after this prologue was written. If what takes energy is the actual act of continuing to make worlds, then the explanation given that the worlds that are culled are the dead end ones makes sense.
There was never any infinite to begin - And the, unless you are saying we START at infinite, what I don't see any data sustaining, finite x Y never gets to infinite. At least not confirmed. Excluding Arthur (male) and Illya, we know for sure it exists in ONE Dimension/Univrese. And said Universe has a limited HD. So... Things don't add up.

We also have the images, which clearly pass an idea of bounds.

One of the things I believe you are incorrectly basing your logic is Unidirectionality of Time. The idea that the present exists as something different from the future is only true in so far as we experience it. It's not a ''Lore Truth''. Even in FSN it has been already shown that the future is something that somehow EXISTS, as EMIYA is shown with Emiya Shirou. Is the future REAL? No - the Past also. Both are mutable, changeable somehow. Does the future exist? Well... Define exist.

They say that the world doesn't want to waste energy on producing dead end worlds, as those worlds wouldn't make more, so them being made would be a pointless thing. None of this at all conflicts with an infinite amount existing though, for the reasons I said above.
No, they say: -- And the principle behind it is simple. To a certain extent, the existence known as the World (世界という者, Sekai to Iu Mono?, lit. "the thing called the World") conducts a hueristic analysis (統計, toukei?) of timeline survivability (進むと可能性, susumu to kanousei?, lit. "prospects and potential"), preserving only those Outcomes wherein "the operation of the subsequent era" (次の時代の運営, Tsugi no Jidai no Unei?) isn't impossible. For those Adjacent Worlds judged to be unnecessary - the future is closed. --
And I talked about the notion of energy above.

And even though I think no one would question what ''World'' means, Sherlock has put it very explictly:

-- There is a theory that our world — the human world — is nothing more than one of the textured layers that wrap the surface of the planet, like a carpet.
To the planet, this is the consciousness of the intelligent lifeforms that reign supreme. In other words, our physical laws.
The “carpet” that maintains the laws of physics is our world. It is stitched to the planet so that it does not peel away. --

P.S. The use of Parallel and Adjacent Worlds is VERY MESSED UP in this and the last post. The Kanji used both can be taken as Parallel and I didn't took the time to correct them. If you wanna talk about the JP, just say and we can talk about it.

Last edited:
I was using the interpretation used in a different thread so there is that.

Also fair enough on the redundancy part although I like to offer something else.

“Infinite-anything=infinite. The idea of culling doesn't at all disprove the infinite amount stated before, during (in the prologue itself), and after this prologue was written. If what takes energy is the actual act of continuing to make worlds, then the explanation given that the worlds that are culled are the dead end ones makes sense.”

Technically one can argue that infinity - anything = infinite may not been a fool proof idea if a universe wants to cull it to make it more manageable ie. Making it a finite amount of worlds rather than infinite worlds although that dwells more into assumptions as I believe there were no such cases where infinity being subtract by infinity being a thing as it is a contradiction rather than outright proof of infinity ngl.

At least, in a mathematical sense anyway.
This is indeed something you could argue, if the manageable part was actually part of the original text. However being that the manageable amount thing is both not part of the original text, and the original text says that what takes up energy is not the number of worlds, but the branching process, my example of infinite-finite still holds.

You are forgeting the beginning, how the ''layout'' we are talking about was created (and to even say the choice creates something is already to buy in the logic of Universe of Observation, which can't be related to the things we are talking about). The Adjacent Worlds are themselves the Branching Potential. The existence of the Adjacent Worlds, Worlds similar enough and close enough to the one we are talking about, is the manifestation of the fact that exist the possibility of someone's actions affecting said World's time axis so as to change something.
This is taking some odd assumptions to reach this conclusion. Firstly, it assumes that it would both need to be talking about the universe of awareness for what I'm saying to be true, and also assumes that nothing in the prologue refers to it. This is confirmed outright false in the materials for the QTLs, as they explicitly mention that this same method is how the world outside the mooncell operates (culling timelines which can't branch anymore), and then both the mats and game goes on to mention how the mooncell has the exact same process. Speaking of the QTL material, it makes pretty clear note that it is again, the actual propagation of the process (creation of worlds, the actual branching) which takes energy, and then that routes which can't survive are what are culled. It also pretty explicitly shows us that the branching process is in fact, what makes worlds
If left alone, the Great Tree Known as Time (時間という大樹, Jikan to Iu Daiju?) will branch without restriction, and the behavior of culling serves to remove those divergences that are unnecessary, leaving only the "trunk" to advance.

-- Divergent futures, wherein "what ifs" such as these were permitted. It is indeed these "realities in which the future was altered" that are referred to as Adjacent Worlds. This is proof that "possibility" (可能性, kanousei?) is itself still alive; positive evidence that your World still lies upon its "proper axis" (正しい軸, Tadashii Jiku?). In converse: For those Worlds wherein the act of choice can no longer impact the future, Adjacent Worlds cannot exist. --

This is further reinforced by the notion of what World's are to be culled.

-- Otherworlds (異世界, Isekai?) such as these are little more than blind alleysdead routes (袋小路デッドルート, fukurou-koujideddo ru-to?) whose outcomes are foreordained. The time of the culling brings a termination to unnecessary possibilities -- the point at which, by force of Observation (観測, Kansoku?), the mutable Histories of the past solidify as a static course.--

The possibilities are already there, set. If one of them was a dead end, it's done. This possibility which would end in a dead end is culled so as to not **** with the growth of Humanity, cause it has to ''prosper'' as given by Alaya's prerrogative AND ''exist for as long as possible'' so as to follow Gaia's. This also show how possibilities are different from set reality. There is an Event that does the solidifying of the course of History, which is done after the dead ends are culled.
None of this shows that possibilities suddenly are different than reality though. In fact, the first part there actively shows that possibilities are realities, meanwhile a world which can not produce them anymore, the dead end ones, have an ordained outcome. We know from KnK that actual ordained outcomes (something that is exceedingly rare to occur, and is usually through an observer choosing the outcome), can have no variance, there is no way an ordained outcome can go besides how it's meant to. Meaning there are no possibilities, and as the quote says, no more worlds.

The Branching Process is actually never said to be the creator of the World. Even Musashi, for example, cannot create a new possibility at first, only limit the existing ones to a specific result.
Check above, I explained why the branching process is the thing that creates the worlds. Musashi holds no relevance here as she doesn't cause new possibilities to exist until she learns that ability, and her knowing it or not holds no bearing to whether or not branching makes the worlds.
Now, let me correc one thing that was really confusing in my post. The process of culling itself was never about ''we have X, we use Y to do something". Culling happens because existence apparently is/produces ''data'' and the Dimension itself isn't an infinite HD.

-- That is to say, the ceaseless proliferation of Parallel Worlds may eventually exceed the capacity of the Dimension as a whole.Parallel Worlds are a necessary existence, but they cannot be let to freely multiply. It's a very rough estimation, but should the Earth persist at its present level of civilization for another century, it's likely that the Solar System will collapse.

However, the reality is that we live and multiply. The Solar System hasn't yet dissolved (緩和, kanwa?, lit. "loosen / relax / alleviate") before the sheer volume of data that we produce, and it's likely that the status quo (今の方式, ima no houshiki, lit. "the present formulation / system"?) can be sustained for another hundred million years. --

I have to remember here Gaia's ''rule'' - EARTH HAS TO EXIST FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. At the same time, Alaya's make sure Human's multiply and prosper. Given it's the Counter-Force, the sum of these two, that manages this, it only makes sense how it deals with such process: Conservation of Phenomena, that is, only possibilities that allow for the continuation of the World while Humans are not stagnant are allowed.
Small correction, the counter force is not the sum of Gaia and Alaya, they have separate ones which have outright opposed goals. Anyway I'm not sure what you're trying to point out here, the quote is saying that, in order to keep the proliferation of the process of the creation of worlds under control, existences deemed unnecessary (Otherworlds) which can't produce any more worlds. Because as you know, the part you quoted is just above the part which talks about the things being culled being those that lack branching potential, and then goes onto explain that the worlds which lack this branching potential are the ones with preordained outcomes (no possibilities according to KnK)
The use of the word energy comes from:
-- Unfortunately, this isn't the case. The energy to account for the proliferation of unnecessary worlds, exists nowhere within this Dimension (次元, Jigen?). --
It's never said we problem is lack of a source of energy. The next phrases explain what's the problem (the lines above). This line is actually strange is Kanji. It's meaning is something alongs the line that the Dimension/Universe can't spend so as to increase this ''mistake''. The proper interpretation would require someone more versed in Moon Runes.
It does still in fact mention a lack of energy in the dimension. I believe what it's trying to say is that there's not enough energy to spend on increasing things coming off of wrong outcomes or something along those lines, but if you cared enough you could find someone to try and give a more in depth translation than a quick second long glance.
This has been addresed indirectly already I guess.

There was never any infinite to begin. At least not confirmed. Excluding Arthur (male) and Illya, we know for sure it exists in ONE Dimension/Univrese. And said Universe has a limited HD. So... Things don't add up.
Here's where the issues lie. The assumption that it all exists in one universe is outright unsubstantiated so I'm not going to address it. Moving onto the rest though. Why does one Dimension mean there can't be infinite? Why are you assuming this dimension refers to something lower than the multiverse? These worlds outright exist at the same time, this is absolutely an inarguable fact, as shown by Achimedes, and the mooncell being able to cull the worlds outside itself too.

With this in mind, and the fact the entire prologue and QTL mats never say the number is the issue, but the actual branching process is what takes energy, where is the assumption that "They say the capacity of the Dimension, so this all clearly means one area smaller than the multiverse and that there's no way its infinite due to that" come from?

If your answer is going to be "They say it'll pass the capacity of the Solar system" I'd like to point you to the fact that the cosmology of Earth alone is multiverse sized at the smallest, while not taking into account the higher dimensions or anything.
No, they say: -- And the principle behind it is simple. To a certain extent, the existence known as the World (世界という者, Sekai to Iu Mono?, lit. "the thing called the World") conducts a hueristic analysis (統計, toukei?) of timeline survivability (進むと可能性, susumu to kanousei?, lit. "prospects and potential"), preserving only those Outcomes wherein "the operation of the subsequent era" (次の時代の運営, Tsugi no Jidai no Unei?) isn't impossible. For those Adjacent Worlds judged to be unnecessary - the future is closed. --
And I talked about the notion of energy above.

P.S. The use of Parallel and Adjacent Worlds is VERY MESSED UP in this and the last post. The Kanji used both can be taken as Parallel and I didn't took the time to correct them. If you wanna talk about the JP, just say and we can talk about it.

In any case, as I've been here talking about the same 10 minute intro to one game for like 12 posts now mostly alone, and this is ultimately irrelevant to not only the scaling, but the actual point of the thread, that being why everything is pretty clearly connected verse wise, I'd like to try to nudge us back there.

Edit:

One of the things I believe you are incorrectly basing your logic is Unidirectionality of Time. The idea that the present exists as something different from the future is only true in so far as we experience it. It's not a ''Lore Truth''. Even in FSN it has been already shown that the future is something that somehow EXISTS, as EMIYA is shown with Emiya Shirou. Is the future REAL? No - the Past also. Both are mutable, changeable somehow. Does the future exist? Well... Define exist
This is explained though, it's explained as EMIYA being Shirou from another world. He's not from the future of the FSN world, as none of those routes result in Archer, he's from his own, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with this part

Unfortunately, this isn't the case.
The energy to account for the proliferation of unnecessary worlds,
exists nowhere within this Dimension (次元, Jigen).

That is to say,
the ceaseless proliferation of Adjacent Realities may eventually exceed the capacity of the Dimension as a whole.
Adjacent Realities are a necessary existence,
but they cannot be let to freely multiply.
It's a very rough estimation,
but should the Earth persist at its present level of civilization for another century, it's likely that the Solar System will collapse.

However, the reality is that we live and multiply.
The Solar System hasn't yet dissolved (緩和, kanwa, lit. "loosen / relax / alleviate") before the sheer volume of data that we produce,
and it's likely that the status quo (今の方式, ima no houshiki, lit. "the present formulation / system") can be sustained for another hundred million years.

This is indeed something you could argue, if the manageable part was actually part of the original text. However being that the manageable amount thing is both not part of the original text, and the original text says that what takes up energy is not the number of worlds, but the branching process, my example of infinite-finite still holds.

Are you sure about that as the branching process involves the number of worlds to begin with and as such, I don’t think I will say I can agree with that assessment ngl.

I'd like to point you to the fact that the cosmology of Earth alone is multiverse sized at the smallest, while not taking into account the higher dimensions or anything
Tbf, Earth isn’t being mentioned as being multi sized, it is the Universe as it does mention it as Earth is part of the universe, not Earth = universe sized or multiverse ngl.

This is basis cosmology as well.

Wait, I probably confusing it since I forgotten about the layers and the reverse side of the world…. Damn my head sure hurts as I probably should make a new thread on specific parts of the cosmology as more of a clarification rather than a QnA as it stands.

I have no idea how this thread got so out of control. The entire point of it was supposed to be about canonicity, and it has now delved into an irrelevant discussion that's taking everyone's time away.

For one, it doesn't matter if there are infinite parallel worlds or not, the works Nasu makes are still canon to each other and claiming otherwise is absurd. Characters from his works frequently make appearances on other works from his series. This is impossible to deny, Arcueid, Touko and Aoko are a definitive part of Fate/Extra's plot, Ryougi is part of both FGO and Extra, the BB from FGO is the same as CCC's BB, and in her summer version she even has her original powers, Kiara has the same powers as she had in CCC, Case Files happens in the same parallel world as Stay Night and it connects Fate with Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai.

I seriously don't even know what this argument about parallel worlds is even hoping to achieve, and would really rather it didn't drag much longer than it already has.

I have no idea how this thread got so out of control. The entire point of it was supposed to be about canonicity, and it has now delved into an irrelevant discussion that's taking everyone's time away.

For one, it doesn't matter if there are infinite parallel worlds or not, the works Nasu makes are still canon to each other and claiming otherwise is absurd. Characters from his works frequently make appearances on other works from his series. This is impossible to deny, Arcueid, Touko and Aoko are a definitive part of Fate/Extra's plot, Ryougi is part of both FGO and Extra, the BB from FGO is the same as CCC's BB, and in her summer version she even has her original powers, Kiara has the same powers as she had in CCC, Case Files happens in the same parallel world as Stay Night and it connects Fate with Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai.

I seriously don't even know what this argument about parallel worlds is even hoping to achieve, and would really rather it didn't drag much longer than it already has.
Actually I was hoping for answers for the continuity of the Nasuverse as that was the original intention to begin with.
I do apologies for that as I admittedly am very consistently tired and can not think properly as my mind has the rather terrible habit of bringing up something that interests me.

And yeah, I like to see this thread to being closed as I should make a new thread to clarify the cosmology pf the Nasuverse as I currently having a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back