• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Naruto vs Ichigo- Who do you think was the better written protagonist?

Warren Valion said:
To clarify, early in the beginning of Naruto, Naruto's past is explained, he's hated and ostracized by his entire village. The thing is, we never see this, more specifically, we never see him overcome his villages' innate prejudge against him through his own actions. We never see him walking down a road getting yelled out by strangers, we never see him be denied food at a restaurant because of who he is, we never get to see his suffering in the present time, only flashbacks. He becomes revered as a hero by his village after his defeat of Pein, but we never saw these same villagers insult or attack previously during the previous arcs. We never saw the effect his accomplishments had on his village, and how that changed their opinions on him.
How much this reminded me of Spider Man kinda makes me now want James Jonah Jameson in Naruto.

I WANT THAT SHADOW CLONING UZUMAKI EXPOSED!!!!

Well, we ain't talking about "who's your favorite character" or "who do you prefer between these two guys". The OP asked about who played the role of the main protagonist between both of these guys, meaning he's asking for an objective and unbiased point of view, not this "relatable" thing. When "relatable" is mentioned, I feel as if you start to deviate from an objective and neutral point of view to include your personal feelings about the characters themselves, and empathising with them. Saying "I definitely relate with Ichigo more. I'd have acted similarly to him if we were in the same shoes" means you're in fact not speaking objectively. That kind of reasoning should be left for a "who's your favorite character" or "who do you personally prefer" thread. I think Naruto definitely played the role of a main character in a shounen better than Ichigo did. I essentially agree with what Frantzy said initially. Apologies if I didn't get what the OP meant, or if I'm missing something.

As for Naruto, there are times that I love him and there are times that he makes me roll my eyes in annoyance. But I agree with the gripe with the coolest guy quote. I don't think it was necessary. Kishi just went overboard in my opinion...

I understand and appreciate that Naruto saw Obito for who he was, the horrible moments he passed through, and that he didn't want to regress back to the "cycle of hatred" thing, but I can't forgive nor forget that quote, even if I do like Obito.

Don't forget Bleach has the longest 11 seconds in fictional history. Similar to Dragonball and the infamous 5 minutes...

C o n s p i r a c y

How long was the 11 second mask thing again?

I never denied that on the whole, Naruto is the better shounen protagonist. In many ways, Ichigo really doesn't fill that role the way you'd expect such a protagonist to do so.

I just really feel a lot of details about the execution of Naruto's journey grind my gears, and even if they follow the spirit of what Kishi intended or what you'd expect of a Shounen protagonist, the executio just left me an odd taste in the mouth.

As for Obito, I love the dude in my own way. Even if I can never reconcile with the fact he literally went to Ninja Heaven with his hubby after all he did.

Like three minutes, total. Nowhere near as bad as the aforementioned DB five minutes.

Sakura is the one whose cup size is A negative...

Both protagonist wrote their way to big boobs of the series. ..so well written IMO.

Imma break a vase on Naruto's head anytime he claims innocent

People forgetting Naruto and Everybody was connected to Obito's feelings and saw his past. So much so, Naruto teared up....yet never forgave Obito and still wanted this dude to accept punishment, which everyone knows is the death penalty.

The "Coolest Guy" quote really is overrated when people forget the above^. Like seriously, one of the biggest things in Naruto towards the end was being able to understand one another. Hagoromo's entire reason for spreading Chakra was to allow people to connect and fully understand one another.

When the Shinobi Alliance connected to Obito's Chakra, all of his thoughts, feelings and some of his history flowed into them Same as it was for Naruto and Hashirama.

A lot of you gus are choosing to look at it as nothing more than Black and White. You don't see the shades of Gray.

@TFO

Hence why people ussualy say he is not relatable.in real life,you don't see a genocidal maniac past(no matter how teary it is) and then proceed to call him the "coolest guy"

Although Naruto is undoubtedly the better written protagonist(not character).considering he became the Ninja jesus of his verse

I was actually expecting this supposed greyness. You don't show grey by letting the dude that killed hundreds indirectly, and more directly at the end of his life, made your entire life hell and those of many others without a second thought and God knows what else simply die only to go to ninja heaven to spend the rest of eternity with his beloved if you can help it.

You understand where he's coming from, the fact that he's also just another human that failed... And then punish him anyway because you can't wash away that level of wrong with 'oops, sorry!'. That level of deeds is not something that any normal person is gonna forgive easy, and even if they theoretically did because NINSHU, the fact he has a list of crimes bigger than Lee's eyebrows doesn't disappear. There's forgiving and moving on, and there's not rightfully punishing things that are just too severe to wash over like it's no big deal.

I don't see the ignored context, Naruto literally had no reason to call the cause of all his suffering and the suffering of dozens of others a cool guy because he died to pay for what he did, even though dead he got all he wanted with no real repercussion

what's more funny,he was terminal anyways , dying as a result of his failed evil masterplan.what a time for redemption.what a saint,what a cool guy.

I just can't side with a guy that will completely forgive his friend even though said friend attempted to murder, my teammate, a kage, myself and an entire village all because of his in his feelings because what the higher-ups directly and indirectly did to his family.

PS: I still love ya sasu-chan :D

I mean no disrespect to the Op but Threads like these are not ideal, especially when they are made up of fanbases that are not biggest of friends

Burning Full Fingers said:
Well, we ain't talking about "who's your favorite character" or "who do you prefer between these two guys". The OP asked about who played the role of the main protagonist between both of these guys, meaning he's asking for an objective and unbiased point of view, not this "relatable" thing. When "relatable" is mentioned, I feel as if you start to deviate from an objective and neutral point of view to include your personal feelings about the characters themselves, and empathising with them. Saying "I definitely relate with Ichigo more. I'd have acted similarly to him if we were in the same shoes" means you're in fact not speaking objectively. That kind of reasoning should be left for a "who's your favorite character" or "who do you personally prefer" thread. I think Naruto definitely played the role of a main character in a shounen better than Ichigo did. I essentially agree with what Frantzy said initially. Apologies if I didn't get what the OP meant, or if I'm missing something.
As for Naruto, there are times that I love him and there are times that he makes me roll my eyes in annoyance. But I agree with the gripe with the coolest guy quote. I don't think it was necessary. Kishi just went overboard in my opinion...

I understand and appreciate that Naruto saw Obito for who he was, the horrible moments he passed through, and that he didn't want to regress back to the "cycle of hatred" thing, but I can't forgive nor forget that quote, even if I do like Obito.
I have to disagree with your assessment.

In which sacrosanct text is the objective prerequisites for a main protagonist described? Asking: "Which character played the main character better?" inherently means nothing. What is the main protagonist required to do, and how can it be done "better" by one character over the other?

This is the best objective description of a main character that I could come up with:

"The main character is the main perspective in which the audience views the world that the character lives within. His objective? To conquer the challenges laid out before him by the author or fail trying."

Using the most basic of terms and the most basic summary possible to explain Shonens, the good guy beats the bad guy and everyone lives happily ever after. It's a tale as old as time.

So how does Naruto defeat his villains "better" than Ichigo, how is Naruto's perspective in his world "better" than Ichigo's perspective in his respective world? I can't think of an objective reason as to why Naruto is > than Ichigo or vise versa. I can only think of my subjective opinions on the scenarios that happened in both franchises and what I personally thought about it.

When one criticizes any form of art, their objectivity is skewed by their subjectivity.

The only objective answer to this question is what I said before at the beginning of my previous response: "It depends on what you like i your main character." This was my objective answer, the rest of the response is entirely my opinion.

That's why I described my ideal character and how I thought Ichigo fit my personal preferences better than Naruto did.

The only objective answer is that there is none with diving in the realm of subjectivity, or at least I can't see how there is anyway. If you can, I'd love to hear it.

AppleLord said:
I have borrow your opinion for a discussion on Reddit since I AM 100% behind it and I wish we could had seen more about it. I hope you don't mind me copy & pasting it.
No, it's completely fine.

Actually, can you link to the reddit page? I'd like to see it.

Back