• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia Speed Downgrade

LordXcano

VS Battles
Retired
So, firstly All Might and All for One are both High Hypersonic just for being faster than everyone else, which as far as I know is a fairly controversial thing to do by itself but eh. I suppose that can stay if people really want it to.

What I'm here to address though is where this scaling came from in the first place, that being Bakuguo reacting to his own explosions. This, as far as I'm aware, isn't actually true. He can set off an explosion and then react as the shockwave propels him forwards, but this isn't the same as dodging an actual explosion.

Firstly, the speed is misrepresented. Nitroglycerin has a detonation velocity of 7700 m/s, it does not move that fast through air. The detonation velocity is simply how fast the shockwave moves through its own material, basically how fast the explosion spreads throughout the thing being detonated. It is not how fast the explosion is in air. You can see this by using the UN explosion calculator, in which shock front speed varies on weight and range, not merely material.

Second issue with this is that blasting yourself off with an explosion does not make you actually move as fast as said explosion. I obviously can't link examples of this, but if you've ever seen someone get hit with a grenade it's pretty plain to see that they are not being blasted off at supersonic velocities.

Now as for the feats that aren't Bakuguo, I'm not sure if anyone actually reacts to any explosions in those either. For instance in this sca All Might isn't even able to avoid Bakuguo coming from behind despite knowing what he was doing, all he can do is raise his arms to block the explosion. And in this sca nothing happens at all, not only does she fail to avoid the explosion she gets hit head on even though Bakuguo telegraphed the attack.

@Rad

Image wouldn't display for me, so I tried to check Chap. 120 with a different website. Are you referring to this sca? He isn't dodging the explosion there, in the previous page we see him hear and react to the hiss of the explosive about to detonate, and then he speeds up to try and avoid it but still gets hit just not "directly".

Oh ok, well the All Might one isnt a good example because before the fight he attached braces to to his arms and legs to make it fair. You can even see them in your link.

The two scans I linked were the ones used in the upgrade thread to prove people could react to Baku's explosions. I wasn't using the scan to show All Might is much slower than Baku's explosions, moreso just to show there's no instances of him actually reacting to it.

I don't have knowledge of the verse

But the reason why All Might and others jumped to High Hypersonic was because the gao between 7700 m/s and Mach 25 is 1.10483766x times

LordXcano said:
What I'm here to address though is where this scaling came from in the first place, that being Bakuguo reacting to his own explosions. This, as far as I'm aware, isn't actually true. He can set off an explosion and then react as the shockwave propels him forwards, but this isn't the same as dodging an actual explosion.

Second issue with this is that blasting yourself off with an explosion does not make you actually move as fast as said explosion. I obviously can't link examples of this, but if you've ever seen someone get hit with a grenade it's pretty plain to see that they are not being blasted off at supersonic velocities.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was repeatedly saiying the same thing in the other thread but got simply ignored >_<

the scaling was stupid from the very beginning...

and while i WANT AM and AFO to be HHS i wont agree to it with just "people want it to be like that", a real calc should prove that otherwise why arent we just updating other chars to higher levels out of nowhere?

To be fair, I asked for a calc a while ago from multiple calc team members, but no one seemed to be interested. In addition, no calc team members intervened to offer their opinion on the thread.

Ultimately, I'm indifferent and will apply any changes.

Looking for other speed feats is probably a good idea.

All Might is generally considered the all-around most powerful and fastest hero, making him faster than Edgeshot, who's explicitly stated to transform and attack at the speed of sound.

Alright, so we have Supersonic speed. If there are feats which show characters traverse distances in a blatantly FTE timeframe, that would be worth looking into.

Reppuzan said:
All Might is generally considered the all-around most powerful and fastest hero, making him faster than Edgeshot, who's explicitly stated to transform and attack at the speed of sound.
the infobox only mentioned transformation being faster than the speed of sound, nothing about attacking speed :/

Oh right, that's bizarre no? The statement in of itself I mean. Seeing as this comes from a scanlation, perhaps another team may have translated this statement in a more coherent fashion? If there isn't anyone, the only option left is to wait for the official viz-media translations.

@Austrian-Man-Meat

His transformation involves the stretching and contorting of his own body parts. If he wasn't able to shoot out his limbs at that speed, then the statement would be meaningless.

There's this scene where Tetsu hardens his body as a bullet is coming towards him, but I'd think that'd be reaction speed only as he wasn't able to physically dodge it.

Reaction speed requires the character to actually dodge the incoming projectile in question. Considering that he was unable to dodge said bullet here, could this could really be considered reaction speed according to our definitions of reactions?

^not in that sense...

but we could mention that speed in his powers/abilitys section alongside his "transformation" and link to the pages, basically: "Transformation (can transform [[[faster]]] than a [[[bullet]]])" :)

@LordXCano

Well, you're mixing up All for One and All Might. In the picture I provided, All for One is the one dodging. But at the same time, All Might was going all out against him just a few minutes ago.

So, do we have any useful new gauges to scale the speed from?

^well,

tetsu can transform faster than a bullet (react to it in a sense) so maybe we can scale this to AM and AFO due to AM being so fast that hardening-boy wasnt able to react to him during the noumu vs AM fight, and hard-boy was equal to tetsu which means that hardening boy could be bullet-fast in close combat,

in short: AM is > hard-boy = metal-boy, ergo, AM is "at least supersonic combat speed" :/

hard-boy is also equal to bakugou so bakugou could get the same supersonic close combat speed, that would scale to todo and deku too, and iida would get a "at least supersonic" with his special recipro burst since he blitzed todo in the tournament :)

Is it wise to base the nitro Bakugou produces to real life nitroglycerin? Just curious since fictional stories are pretty loose with science.

@Muuuuh

We made the assumption that Bakugou would be able to react to his own Mach 24 explosions with the notion that he regularly uses them to maneuver and chains explosions into each other at rapid succession. We asked for calcs, but no one was willing to reply with what we had to show.

However, since that notion was shot down, I suppose the downgrade should go through.

Back