• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

People need to get the idea out of their heads that seasons 1 through 3 had the best animation.

I can see you making that argument for maybe season two, and only because of one or two episodes, but season 1 didn't even have that many fight scenes, let alone the level of quality from older seasons. Seasons 4, 5, and 6 all blow these older seasons out of the water, or at the very least, compete with them on even ground.

Again, happy to provide examples from later seasons. There is merit to what I'm saying here.
Man, go check out All Might vs USJ Hood in the manga and then look at it in the anime.

The anime literally made up half the fight. It's the most added content we have ever gotten in the series and frankly if Deku vs Shigaraki had gotten that treatment, I don't think a single soul would be complaining.

Season 2 was stellar and has basically never been replicated. Animation-wise, it was the most consistent season without any of the 3 arcs getting shortchanged.

Season 3 had fights like Deku vs Muscular, Tokoyami's rampage, All Might vs AFO, and Deku vs Bakugo (still one of the best animated fights in the series).
And while the License arc was a letdown, that's mostly cause it was the same in the manga. Otherwise moments like Deku dodging countless attacks from different schools, Jirou or Shindo's earthquakes, or even Shoto and Inasa vs Gang Orca were all well animated.

Heck, even the filler fight between Shoto and that ninja school looked cool as hell.

People hate on season 3 cause of License arc but the licence arc itself was not badly animated. The animation was still great especially compared to PLF War animation.

Last edited:
Once we get to season 4, inconsistency issues start emerging. In the previous seasons, even filler fights as with the example of season 3 were getting good animation but once we get to season 4, it's slideshows.

And frankly, Tamaki vs the 3 precepts was also done kinda dirty. It is not comparable to the manga at all. Rappa vs Kirishima was cool but we got pointless censorship. I won't even talk about Mirio vs Overhaul.

And in the manga, Deku vs Gentle is my outright #1 MHA fight but in the anime, it ain't even top 10.

And then there's the shitty lighting. Even underground scenes were getting animated as if it was broad daylight.

Season 5 was outright trash so no point even discussing it.

Season 6 was 50:50. Deku Black was a 10/10 but PLFW got one of the worst adaptations for a war arc in anime.

People love only bringing up Deku vs Shigaraki but let's not pretend like a lot of other moments in the war didn't get heavily heavily shortchanged.

- The backgrounds became somehow even more trash especially in the city and forest scenes.

- The lighting was terrible. The brown dust looked like it was pasted on the blue skies. Like the dust from the destruction of a city would outright change the lighting but here, nada.

- Hawks, Dabi, and Twice confrontation was carried by the story and voice actors. Zero outstanding animation. Even Hawks just looked like some slow ass snail. Dabi's FlashFire in general also just looks terrible in the anime.

- And the worst offender that no one mentions is everything involving Gigantomachia. From his first clash with Mt Lady where all the momentum was somehow deleted, to erasing any element of speed whenever Machia moved.

- The anime color scheme for Machia also sucks and the model was off many times especially his face.

- 1A vs 1B was another HUGE moment in the manga but once again, it became another Deku & Gentle scenario. It wasn't bad but in comparison to the impact in the manga, it had zero impact in the anime.

Also another reason I admire season 3 is that despite working on Two Heroes and even having 2 whole Filler episodes in License arc, the season never shortchanged any of the major moments.

But somehow Bones tossed away whatever working formula they had back then especially with the way they outright destroyed season 5 for the sake of the movie.

Has anyone tried calcing Deku's bullet feat using the anime. I noticed that the bullet traveled a good distance while the rain falling appeared to be frozen. In the manga the rain drops are also drawn as if they were slowed down too. Could be fast.

Has anyone tried calcing Deku's bullet feat using the anime. I noticed that the bullet traveled a good distance while the rain falling appeared to be frozen. In the manga the rain drops are also drawn as if they were slowed down too. Could be fast.
I had imagined using the distance Deku travelled right before the bullet capped Overhaul in the head, the current calc we use accepts that he came from downtown to block the bullet. So we simply just remove all the extra movement of the bullet and deku and use that single page. (I mean the anime confirmed he only used Faux 100% right before the bullet hit Chisaki, we literally hear him internally planning it all out before activating it)

I think the thing that makes the animation quality stand out so much is Horikoshi's phenomenal artwork. With the level of complexity to Horikoshi's drawing itself, it's pretty notable how much of a drop the anime is... But sadly that is life. Anime does what it does. Season 6 was pretty good overall tho. Yeah it wasn't gorgeous 24/7 and it did use still shots and weird censorship, but there are so many highlights from the season. If Season 7 at least brings that level of quality to the series, then I'll be happy.

Another thing is that MHA also is produced the same way a weekly anime is produced I believe. This is how they're able to crank out a season basically every single year. So like yeah, this is why the quality isn't as high as some other anime. I mean for pete's sake MHA will have 7 seasons in May of this year, a lot of Anime that aren't weekly have never had the privilege of having that many seasons.

I just see it as a blessing we're able to get the entire story within a relative short period at all... I mean look at Bleach... That shit took a 10+ year break to get to the final arc. Look at Black Clover, currently on an indefinite hiatus. Look at Fairy Tail, had to take 2 multi-year long hiatus' before it was finished. Look at One Piece, the pace is ass in the Anime even if the animation can look peak.

Like yeah, MHA's quality isn't always peak, but it's done overall really well IMO

Another thing is that MHA also is produced the same way a weekly anime is produced I believe.
It is.
I follow some animators who did freelance work with MHA, most of the time the vision of what an anime scene would look like gets bogged down through the process due to multiple reasons, one of which is time constraints.
Sometimes, animators do get carried away and make scenes that are "too busy" and the ones doing the final product spend more time "cleaning" it up because doing it as is isn't feasible.

Deku should gain a resistance to Paralysis Inducement given

"Izuku has also been shown Blackwhip's capabilities as a make-shift brace, significantly lessening the damage to his arms even while using 100% of One For All. He extends this further during the Final War, by extruding Blackwhip inside of his own body, enveloping his muscles and tendons as a way to further reinforce, hold them together, and strengthen them. He then shows another application by using Blackwhip to puppet his body while paralyzed and coating himself inside Blackwhip-like armor"

It lets him keep on fighting despite being paralyzed

Deku should gain a resistance to Paralysis Inducement given

"Izuku has also been shown Blackwhip's capabilities as a make-shift brace, significantly lessening the damage to his arms even while using 100% of One For All. He extends this further during the Final War, by extruding Blackwhip inside of his own body, enveloping his muscles and tendons as a way to further reinforce, hold them together, and strengthen them. He then shows another application by using Blackwhip to puppet his body while paralyzed and coating himself inside Blackwhip-like armor"

It lets him keep on fighting despite being paralyzed
If Banjo can fully control his body with black whip, he could potentially negate Gojo's Infinite void.

I'm planning on making a match with Shiggy, is it cool if I make it? Or would it be wiser to wait for the series to end? If not Shiggy, then I'll just use Deku

You don't need anyone's permission to make a match, just be aware that the character's ratings and abilities are subject to change in the future.

Hey I was wondering if Anyone has calced Nine's feat in Deku & Bakugo Rising, Part 1. He created a city wide storm in an instant and then dispersed it so fast that Deku thought he imagined it.

Hey I was wondering if Anyone has calced Nine's feat in Deku & Bakugo Rising, Part 1. He created a city wide storm in an instant and then dispersed it so fast that Deku thought he imagined it.
Nah, no one has ever touched that, for some reason nobody cares about it🤷‍♂️🇺🇸

I have too much time on my hands, but I made a power ranking tier list seeing as we're basically at the final curtain of the series and I was bored,
image.png

1.Current Deku 100% OFA + Fa Jin + Gearshift
2.Current Full Power Shigaraki
3.Rewound AFO
4.Final War Quirkless Shigaraki
5.Prime All Might
6.Star & Stripes
7.Post-Awakening/Full Body Cluster Bakugo
8.96-97% Pre-Final War Shigaraki
9.Jaku incomplete 75% Shigaraki
10.Heroes Rising Full Power OFA Midoriya and Bakugou
11.Kamino All Might
12.Kamino AFO
13.Nine
14.USJ Noumu
15.Gigantomachia
16.Full Power Dabi
17.Endeavour
18.Flashfire Fist Todoroki
19.Tokoyomi Dark Shadow
20.The Hood
21.Weakened-Final War AFO
22.Pre-Awakening-Panzer Bakugo
23.Best Jeanist
24.Pre-Final Act Deku
25.Flect Turn
26.Prime Hawks
27.Lemillion
28.Prime Rumi Mirko
29.Wolfram
30.Kai Chisaki
31.Armoured Re-Destro
32.Mt Lady
33.Himiko Toga
34.Mina Ashido
35.Muscaler
36.Danjuro Tobita
37.Daylight Tokoyami
38.Stain
39.Himiko Toga
40.Spinner
Mineta Tier. Mineta

Hood's is stronger than the USJ Nomu in canon, if we're just talking about raw power. Defeating is a different issue due to Shock Absorption and Regeneration.

Probably be a stalemate.

Gigantomachia is also stronger than Hood. Full Power Dark Shadow physically overpowered Rewind All For One, who could physically hold back attacks from Weakened All Might in his own Weakened state. Meaning he's stronger than Weakened All Might by a vast amount.

He's probably the strongest character in the series that isn't the God Tiers alongside Gigantomachia.

Don't know why Hawks is so high when he calls himself weak against power types and is noted as not being physically strong. He's vastly weaker than someone like Mirko.

Mirio being stronger than Mirko makes zero sense, he fails to damage the same kind of Nomu that she can tear through with a single kick.

Muscular is nowhere near that low either.

A lot of this is bad assuming it's a raw power chart.

Back